The Good and Bad Way to Implement Token Vault

I was thinking about the Vault for a minute and realized I had some concerns for it. The way I see it, there's 2 basic ways to implement it. 1 is good (will make players generally happy), and the other it bad (will piss them off).

The first (good) way is when a character or item gets pulled from the vault, it removes all instances of that character / reward and increases the odds of all remaining rare pulls (i.e. instead of pulling 14 Ares / Moonstones a week, it shifts those odds to the rare pulls so you're more likely to have a positive experience with your tokens).

The second (bad) way is to uniformly increase the odds every time something gets pulled, regardless of the rarity. This approach is bad because it actually decreases the odds of pulling anything good if you do luck out and pull a rare.

So I just wanted to throw this out there so (hopefully) the devs see it and implement it the good way so that it's a more positive change, rather than one that everyone hates.

Comments

• ShanePHallam
    ShanePHallam Posts: 94 Match Maker
    It will be the bad way. I mean, that is how a vault works. If there are 20 items in a vault and you pull one out, your odds of pulling the other 19 now increase.

I imagine it will be something like this. There are 20 items in the vault. 15 2-star pulls, 4 3-star pulls, and 1 4-star pull. If you use 20 tokens, you will get those 20 items. Still good because it would be a guaranteed 4 star. I guess it all depends how big the vault is for how worth it this will be.
  • They might be going with the 2nd way, but just having the total # of tokens in the pool be so large that the shift in odds isn't that huge either way. Realistically, I can't see them giving us much more than 25% odds of pulling from the rare pool. The 2nd way would be overall neutral, not really bad because the opposite happens when you pull bad pulls -> your odds go up.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    It will be the bad way. I mean, that is how a vault works. If there are 20 items in a vault and you pull one out, your odds of pulling the other 19 now increase.

I imagine it will be something like this. There are 20 items in the vault. 15 2-star pulls, 4 3-star pulls, and 1 4-star pull. If you use 20 tokens, you will get those 20 items. Still good because it would be a guaranteed 4 star. I guess it all depends how big the vault is for how worth it this will be.
    I wouldn't mind this way because then it takes the guess work out of it and specific items could be targeted - would just take (in this example) 20 days to amass tokens for the targeted group. assuming they allow something like that. players that go into that with only 5 tokens - still too much of a crapshoot to me. I'm not a token guy/gambler. I'm too black/white and want to know what I'm getting, if possible.

edit: would actually take 10 days to accumulate 20 tokens....detail schmetails...
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whatever it can't be any worse than the current Taco token system. I must have pulled at least 50 2*'s and only 1 3* in the last two months.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Whatever it can't be any worse than the current Taco token system. I must have pulled at least 50 2*'s and only 1 3* in the last two months.

On an upnote, got my 3rd 2* Bullseye green out of a taco today! He is now 5/5/3.. time to spend 60k iso (not)..

but i still want to play him boosted in the next PVE....
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    What is the difference between the first en second way... ?
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    What is the difference between the first en second way... ?

The first way keeps 2 star pull rate the same and only bumps up the rare choices.
    The second way bumps all choices equally.

Realistically speaking, it'll be the second way. I can't see it being any other way. I hate to be the guy that says this (and I'm usually NOT the guy who says this), but there's a saying about gift horses and mouths. It's still better than what we have currently and this is one of those cases where I think the original poster is asking for too much.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've kind of envisioned it this way;

We'll assume for this example that there are twenty-five "slots" in the vault for a week's time span.

Each day we get one free (or more likely, there will be a node to beat for a "token" to pull from the vault) draw a day.

I'm going to assume that not all the prizes are covers, that way they are giving out more ISO-8 and Hero Points to the masses.

If I was doing it, it would be something like this;

1x 4* Cover to be rotated each week.
    i]Right here ending the 4* draw - 1/25 - very small chance of drawing on free draws[/i

1x 3* Cover representing the newest 3* character.
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 1" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 2" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 3" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 4" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 5" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 6" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 7" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    i]Right here ends the thee star draws - 8/25 - roughly a third of the vault.[/i

10x Taco Tokens from the current week's pool.
    5x Taco Tokens from the current week's pool.
    1x Taco Token from the current week's pool.
    10x Heroic Tokens.
    5x Heroic Tokens.
    1x Heroic Token.
    5x Standard Tokens.
    1x Standard Token.
    i]Right here ends the token draws - 8/25 - roughly a third of the vault.[/i

5,000 ISO-8
    2,500 ISO-8
    1,000 ISO-8
    500 ISO-8
    1,000 Hero Points
    500 Hero Points
    250 Hero Points
    100 Hero Points
    i]Right here ends the currency draws - 8/25 - roughly a third of the vault.[/i

Every time you drew, the prize you won would be unattainable for a week's 'vault period', but the prize pool would refresh, fully stocked the following week.

Additionally, I would allow for extra draws in the same fashion we can purchase extra tokens.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've kind of envisioned it this way;

We'll assume for this example that there are twenty-five "slots" in the vault for a week's time span.

Each day we get one free (or more likely, there will be a node to beat for a "token" to pull from the vault) draw a day.

I'm going to assume that not all the prizes are covers, that way they are giving out more ISO-8 and Hero Points to the masses.

If I was doing it, it would be something like this;

1x 4* Cover to be rotated each week.
    i]Right here ending the 4* draw - 1/25 - very small chance of drawing on free draws[/i

1x 3* Cover representing the newest 3* character.
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 1" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 2" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 3" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 4" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 5" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 6" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    1x 3* Cover representing "character 7" in the weekly DDP rotation (same color as what's up for grabs in DDP).
    i]Right here ends the thee star draws - 8/25 - roughly a third of the vault.[/i

10x Taco Tokens from the current week's pool.
    5x Taco Tokens from the current week's pool.
    1x Taco Token from the current week's pool.
    10x Heroic Tokens.
    5x Heroic Tokens.
    1x Heroic Token.
    5x Standard Tokens.
    1x Standard Token.
    i]Right here ends the token draws - 8/25 - roughly a third of the vault.[/i

5,000 ISO-8
    2,500 ISO-8
    1,000 ISO-8
    500 ISO-8
    1,000 Hero Points
    500 Hero Points
    250 Hero Points
    100 Hero Points
    i]Right here ends the currency draws - 8/25 - roughly a third of the vault.[/i

Every time you drew, the prize you won would be unattainable for a week's 'vault period', but the prize pool would refresh, fully stocked the following week.

Additionally, I would allow for extra draws in the same fashion we can purchase extra tokens.

I feel like if they went for week-long draws they would have to overhaul the current cycle format with DDQ to extend it from 5 to 7 days, also. I think it's more likely that the Vault is on the same 5-day cycle as DDQ once released.

That, and 1x standard token seems like a baaaaaad idea. We don't know yet how access to the Vault is governed, but can you imagine? You're in a position where in a given cycle, you're able to fight the node for a Vault token once, and you get...a single standard token for your trouble?

That'd raise unholy hell. I'd do this instead: create a special Vault token, just as we have event, Heroic and Taco tokens. Give it a 0.3% chance at the featured 4*, and split the other 99.7% amongst the game's 3*. People have been asking for a token mechanism that isn't 2/3 (or more) likely to be 1/2* they don't need. So there you go. Have a 1/25 shot at a token that contains exclusively 3* and a single featured 4*. That leaves you with 5x standard, 1x/5x/10x Heroic, 1x/5x/10x Taco, and 1x Vault tokens as your possible token prizes. A progression from 'most likely 1*' to 'most likely 2*' to 'most likely 2* with a shot at coins or 3*' to 'most likely a 3* with a shot at the featured 4*.'
  • I would just love if the featured character reward for the day also had a boosted drop chance from taco tokens. I saved up 18 tokens in round 3 only to pull all 2*s, then turned in a silver from PvE and got a Patch yellow. RNG aside, on the day that I want that one character, I could blow 20 tokens and statistically have a higher chance at covering that one character. Would especially help now that I have maxed abilities on a few of the characters from every week, making it that much more painful when I pull a duplicate on one of my 12 or so maxed abilities out of every 3* in the game.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Does anyone know if hoarded DP tokens will carry over to DP vault?
    I started my hoarding. Will DP tokens turn into vault "keys"?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone know if hoarded DP tokens will carry over to DP vault?
    I started my hoarding. Will DP tokens turn into vault "keys"?

I wouldn't bet on it.