My new season plan.

dfields3710
dfields3710 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi, I'm NoGimmicks on MPQ and I'm in the StampCollector alliance. Due to recent new point system implemented, I have been able to reach 800+ PvP and I'm somewhat happy. Before the change, I was able to hit 650+ but I would be far in the top 100. But here's the thing, when I hit 800 I am well in the top 100 (usually T30) but as soon as I hit over 800 the multiple attacks start rolling in and push me back down. I know what you're thinking.(What are you complaining about then?!! it is no difference!!) When you make it past 800 its nothing but maxed and buffed 4* attacking you. I have no max 3* and hulk is at 104 4/1/3 buffed 144 and my maxed and buffed 2*s cap at 150. I'm not stupid and I don't wanna waste healthpacks so I skip them. So instead of a constant grind I decided to grind to 800 and just stop. Get a 3* cover and stop altogether for the rest of the event. I can't even get past 900 due to the "You win a 30 point match but lose 79 points at the same time" rule. I'm not upset cause I can finally get the 3*s I need. Like I missed getting Rocket and Groot so I got him in his competition and then I missed getting squirrel girl and got her in her competition. And I missed Blade and plan to get him on his competition. This plan should get me to 4000 by the time the season is over. And I do not try simulator due to its scaling. My alliance is a more PvE based alliance so most of them is getting Carnage. Im not worried cause I know I'm going to pull him sometime this month. It never fails. Its just I dont mind having to grind but losing 120+ plus to four people but then having to fight five battles to regain those points plus losing during those battles and having to grind more to regain those points while using healthpacks to continually play leading to a negative climb is just too much work. I don't shield because I need more roster slots. And can't afford to 75HP to stay safe for 3 hours outta 2 and half days. But again I'm not upset I just had an epiphany about this game.

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    I hear you. It is worth the 75 HP to shield the last 3 hrs if you make a push past 800 at that time. If it gets you top 50, you get 50 HP back, if you get top 100 you get 25 HP back. Essentially getting your 800 progression and rank covers for 25-50 HP. Only if they are covers you want/need.

I too typically only spent money on roster slots. But once i was able to break 800 regularly and got into a top 100 alliance, thats 3 3* cards for cheap every pvp.

I tend to push early until packs run out, let the points settle as i get pushed back down, then just maintain around 500, then around 3 hrs, begin my push for 800 being very selective with my opponents. As soon as i break 800 and get my cover, i shield for 3 hours and watch my rank teeter on the edge of 50.

I'm a transitioner, and i've not had good luck with shield hopping. I have only 1 166 character, so i'm neither intimidating nor quick in battles. PVP and DDQ have been my main source of 3* covers.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you are hitting 800 then you are getting 100 hp along the way(400:25, 575: 25, 725:50) then another 25 for T100, use the shield
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    if you are hitting 800 then you are getting 100 hp along the way(400:25, 575: 25, 725:50) then another 25 for T100, use the shield
    This. If you can make placement off the HP from progression in PvP, spend it. Since my switch to my current team, I have come into a lot of HP over time. I can spend it down to 365 HP and go back up to 1000HP in just a few PvPs while using a 75 shield. If you're group group is PvE based, you should be getting some decent HP from placement in subs. I sent a few months myself just hoarding HP to buy covers for characters I wanted to level once I started playing competitively again.
  • dfields3710
    fmftint wrote:
    This. If you can make placement off the HP from progression in PvP, spend it. Since my switch to my current team, I have come into a lot of HP over time. I can spend it down to 365 HP and go back up to 1000HP in just a few PvPs while using a 75 shield. If you're group group is PvE based, you should be getting some decent HP from placement in subs. I sent a few months myself just hoarding HP to buy covers for characters I wanted to level once I started playing competitively again.

But at the same you have to at least get T25 to at least even or gain HP and people with more developed or a whale can get a better place and knock me down due to having a better roster. I'm not saying I can't do it but I'm gonna have a way harder time than those guys and I can't retaliate to people with a max and boosted hulk. I don't have the climb in the last 3 hours and shield roster. I just don't. I am going to try it out though. I just have my doubt's.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:

But at the same you have to at least get T25 to at least even or gain HP and people with more developed or a whale can get a better place and knock me down due to having a better roster. I'm not saying I can't do it but I'm gonna have a way harder time than those guys and I can't retaliate to people with a max and boosted hulk. I don't have the climb in the last 3 hours and shield roster. I just don't. I am going to try it out though. I just have my doubt's.
    No, you've already gained if you use just a single shield from hitting 800. If you shield only within the last 3 hours, you make 25HP outside of placement rewards. If I were you, I'd go for brackets ending where you can go up in points during the last 3 hours of the PvP. I personally shield out 24 or 8 hrs from the end of PvP once I hit 1k and can't go any higher if I am out of health packs. I don't really care for placement on covers I don't need (I need those 1K progressions) and I'd spend that 150 or 300 HP because I know I'll most likely end up getting around 200 HP back on a decent PvP finish, not including the 100 I gained from going up in rank.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    only way to play PVP now is to sheild in last 3 hours ... They really need a 1 hour shield. If i always late jump why spend 75 coins for 10 mins

maybe if i really want the cover yes , but i cant see winning 100 HP and paying 75 for a shiled that is what 25 HP profit LOL you only need to win 20 times to get a slot
  • I always join late, push all at once, shield for 3 hours and hope for the best. There's no incentive to join early besides starting a couple hundred points ahead which isn't that big of a deal most of the time. Every time I joined early, I start 300-400 points up for my final push but everyone else is sitting a few hundred points higher than I'm capable of earning so I place a whole lot worse, last time I tried I placed 112th with 850 points.

I'd love to see them implement a system where you're incentivized for joining and progressing early, but until that happens, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    You join early in order to have a shot at breaking the 1k progression. I highly doubt anyone would be able to join late and reach that without shield hopping.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I join early so I can climb, get knocked back down, climb again, get knocked back down again, then a final climb and shield (*). It gives you retaliation options even if the attacker is shielded, and more ISO / covers from the additional battles. I don't think it hurts my MMR much, either.

(*) or not. It depends if I really care about placement once I get whatever progression target I could.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    what im doing is jumping late

less then 250 go for it
    More then 250 go for 400 pts and quit to get 10 pack
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    A top 50 placement in a pve sub now nets you 50 hp. And as someone mentioned reaching 800 points nets you 100 hp along the way. So using a 3 hour shield isn't going to bleed you dry of hp. That being said, sometimes you are better off making a late push, if you're not interested in the 1k progression reward. It boils down to a question of personal priority. icon_cool.gif
  • slidecage wrote:
    only way to play PVP now is to sheild in last 3 hours ... They really need a 1 hour shield. If i always late jump why spend 75 coins for 10 mins

maybe if i really want the cover yes , but i cant see winning 100 HP and paying 75 for a shiled that is what 25 HP profit LOL you only need to win 20 times to get a slot

It's not the ONLY way to play. You can also be zombie chow, and just accept a <650 final score that may or may not place you in the top 100. If you don't need Doc Ock covers (I don't) but still want the Kingpin cover (I do) and don't care THAT much about finishing the season top 50 (I don't) then just accept your fate, get to 1,000 unshielded and ride the retaliation wave to whatever you final score is. No HP required, +75 HP profit plus 50 HP if you can place for it.
  • Azoic wrote:
    You join early in order to have a shot at breaking the 1k progression. I highly doubt anyone would be able to join late and reach that without shield hopping.

It's certainly possible. We've got a couple players in my alliance who regularly enough will join with 3 hours left and hit the 1k without hopping, then use a 75HP shield for the end and likely net 225HP for the event (provided this lands them top 10). To be fair, they do have very strong rosters, but with the 10 health pack change and using teams other than your A-team, you can hit 5-600 quickly (avoiding health packs on B and C teamers), then start switching to stronger teams and eventually get yourself to 1k.

Sure, people who before the change couldn't break 7-800 won't be able to do that. 2-3* transitioners and the like. But with a full strength 3-4* roster, you can achieve that feat.
  • dfields3710
    j12601 wrote:
    Azoic wrote:

It's certainly possible. We've got a couple players in my alliance who regularly enough will join with 3 hours left and hit the 1k without hopping, then use a 75HP shield for the end and likely net 225HP for the event (provided this lands them top 10). To be fair, they do have very strong rosters, but with the 10 health pack change and using teams other than your A-team, you can hit 5-600 quickly (avoiding health packs on B and C teamers), then start switching to stronger teams and eventually get yourself to 1k.

Sure, people who before the change couldn't break 7-800 won't be able to do that. 2-3* transitioners and the like. But with a full strength 3-4* roster, you can achieve that feat.

Yeah, but to people who are in the 2*-3* transition with not one 3* maxed you can't do that. My climb start midway in the event at like 12:00 am, climb to 800 in one jump to get the 3* character but right after I hit 800. Attackers with way better rosters start defeating 2-3 times at the same time. So I just lost a lot of points to get pushed back to 400 mark. I came close to getting 1000 then everybody and their mom start attacking. I even tried the shield hop thing but then you start queueing people with way better rosters worth only 5-15 points.

Sorry didn't see your last paragraph.
  • If you have 0 maxed 3*s, 800 should be your goal anyway, not 1,000. All the HP on the progression list, free 3* cover, and probably top 100 placement for another 3* cover.