pvp rewards

hi guys,

i have a little problem with pvp....

my roster is a 2 stars roster.

So.... once i reach 500-600 points, the time to do a new fight, i get attack at least twice.

so basically, i win 30 points and lose 30-40 points.

And... of course i get defeat by people with 3 stars roster...

Have you any tips?

Comments

• That's by design.

If you have a 2* roster, it basically means you've been playing the game a couple weeks to a month.

People with a 3* roster have been playing the game several months to a year.

People with a 4* roster generally have been playing the game for 1-2 years.

This game requires the time commitment of a part-time or second job to reliably place, once you get into 3* and 4* land, so you're not going to be able to hold your own against people with deeper rosters for quite a while.

If you want to be competitive, expect to put in part-time job like hours into grinding over those lengths of time, while hoping for good token luck and placement, and spending HP on shields so you can shield hop.

This game isn't designed like a normal RPG where you have reasonable progression. This game has reasonable progression through 2* land, but after that it's heavily weighted around encouraging you to spend money on various things - health packs, shields, covers, booster packs, roster slots, or spend long, long hours grinding. If you're unwilling to do any of those things, don't expect to be able to compete.

You can do somewhat better by boosting, but if you have a 2* roster, the only way you'll be able to compete is to rely heavily on boosts / team-ups, and spend quite a bit of money shield hopping to defend your ranking (and even then, it's unlikely you'll get past a certain score with your roster), while praying that you're VERY lucky when you break shield. That was my how it was when I transitioned from 2-3* and I doubt it's any different now. These are the realities of this game.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    linkounet wrote:
    hi guys,

i have a little problem with pvp....

my roster is a 2 stars roster.

So.... once i reach 500-600 points, the time to do a new fight, i get attack at least twice.

so basically, i win 30 points and lose 30-40 points.

And... of course i get defeat by people with 3 stars roster...

Have you any tips?

anything over 500 your going to get hit... what points do you hope to end up with? i would say Jump last 2 hours of a pvp and play them the entire 2 hours .... I jumped today with 1 hour 45 mins left got 750 pts before getting attacked. What sucked is i got attacked same time i was playing a match that would of put me over 800 or the cover... I got attacked major and knocked down to 600.
  • generally if i don't have the 3 stars top 100 reward i don't care of my rank

so basically what i want is reaching the 50 HP at 725 point

and this is pretty hard for me ^^
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Ditto, 782 points in top 100, begin match today lose 96 points in the course of the match. No time to retaliate against attackers so end 107 place.

Not one attack prior to the feeding frenzy began.

Had it worse before but last season would often break even due to defensive wins.

Sometimes wish they would limit the number of simultaneous attacks but If they did less people would shield.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's by design.

If you have a 2* roster, it basically means you've been playing the game a couple weeks to a month.

This part is true. Be patient, 600 points is a good score for a 2* player.
    This game requires the time commitment of a part-time or second job to reliably place, once you get into 3* and 4* land, so you're not going to be able to hold your own against people with deeper rosters for quite a while.

If you want to be competitive, expect to put in part-time job like hours into grinding over those lengths of time
    This part is false. I get 800-1k points by playing in PVP around 1h per day over the 2.5 days it lasts.
    and spending HP on shields so you can shield hop.

True again. One way to score higher is to put a shield after you have reached a suitably high score, then wait. That way, all the people that you attacked or that saw your name appear while you were higher than them, will hit against the shield. Then you may drop your shield, play a few more rounds and shield again. This is called "shield hopping". However, early transition players like you are not mean to do this because shields cost HP which is a premium resource that you can only replenish by placing really well (or paying money). As long as you are placing 150 in PVP, you are progressing at a good rate and don't need to try to go much higher yet.
    This game isn't designed like a normal RPG where you have reasonable progression. This game has reasonable progression through 2* land, but after that it's heavily weighted around encouraging you to spend money on various things - health packs, shields, covers, booster packs, roster slots

Bolded that because, yeah, you may spend money on all that, but it's not mandatory:

-Never pay for health packs or spend your HP on them. Just pace yourself and play in small bursts across the duration of the event, so when your heroes die and your 5 packs are spent, you can just wait until they are recovered and your packs are replenished.

-You may spend HP and/or money in shields if you wish to place higher than you normally would, but at the stage you are, that's completely optional and only necessary if you want to accelerate your transition to 3*s.

-Covers are also optional and another way of accelerating your transition. They are, along with shields, the most value you can get for your money, and a good way of making yourself more competitive. If you ever wish to spend money in the game, this would be my recommendation. (Just make sure of reading through the tips and guides subforum to find out which characters are actually worth being spent money on.

-Never ever buy booster packs unless you are the gambling type and enjoy the rush of testing your luck. The odds of opening good stuff in packs are quite low, especially if you are seeking one cover in particular. With less HP than you'd spend on three random, low-odds packs, you could buy the cover you need outright.

-Roster slots are an inescapable necessity. I strongly recommend, at the stage you are saving all your HP for roster slots, if you don't want to spend money on them. If you are a regular PVP, PVE and DDQ player, you'll get around enough to purchase roster slots as you need them. Just don't be afraid of letting go weak 1* and 2* characters (again, check the guides), rather than purchasing a new slot. Oh and if you haven't yet, make sure of joining an alliance. (check the alliances subforum). It will literally double up most of your rewards.
    If you're unwilling to do any of those things, don't expect to be able to compete.

False. It is possible to compete as a F2P player (I know because I am one). It will just take longer.
    You can do somewhat better by boosting, but if you have a 2* roster, the only way you'll be able to compete is to rely heavily on boosts / team-ups, and spend quite a bit of money shield hopping to defend your ranking (and even then, it's unlikely you'll get past a certain score with your roster), while praying that you're VERY lucky when you break shield. That was my how it was when I transitioned from 2-3* and I doubt it's any different now. These are the realities of this game.

It seems to me that this poster really wanted to accelerate his way through 2* transition and spent money and effort on it (and he may be somewhat bitter about it now). You do not need to do the same. Oh and don't be too reliant on boosts, they are a drain on ISO and if your team is good you don't really need them. They may help speed up a battle, saving the HP of your guys, but if you are playing in small bursts throughout the event, you don't mind using your health packs as necessary. Best of luck.
  • That's by design.

Sure feels that way at the moment.

Never really thought about it that way, but if my experience continues to hold, those figures sync pretty well with my experience, taking into consideration the level of my devotion at various points (560+ days, but only really serious for the last few months).

If you want to be competitive, expect to put in part-time job like hours into grinding over those lengths of time, while hoping for good token luck and placement, and spending HP on shields so you can shield hop.

Matches my current 2* to 3* transitionary PvP experience perfectly. Constantly grinding, losing, grinding, losing, grinding... Yeah, those shields are more useful than ever right now. Good thing we can buy them. icon_e_wink.gif
    This game isn't designed like a normal RPG where you have reasonable progression. This game has reasonable progression through 2* land, but after that it's heavily weighted around encouraging you to spend money on various things - health packs, shields, covers, booster packs, roster slots, or spend long, long hours grinding. If you're unwilling to do any of those things, don't expect to be able to compete.

Again, hadn't thought about this specifically, but this matches my experience pretty much to the letter. As a 1*-2* player, it felt more like a puzzle RPG. My forward progression was pretty linear and unidirectional, as one would expect.

As I've begun to slowly (and I mean slowly) transition from 2* to 3*, I have a consistent sense that if only I spent more on health packs, if only I spent money on shields, if only I had a bit more HP for another roster slot I might actually be able to make some noticeable forward progress... Yeah, that's a perfect description of how it feels for me ATM.

As you said, I'm not entirely sure even shields are going to help any player running less than 3-4 3* teams at this point unless they have a VERY developed roster. In the amount of time I can earn 20-30 points, I'm losing 50+, so even with shielding, it's a downhill slide once you get onto the radar. For me that was at about 400 points.

All in all, pretty much exactly the way it is for me, a 560+ day player transitioning from 2* to 3* characters.

DBC