Time Slice End Times

Argon Flame
Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
End Times for Slices seem to have changed again (ref: R&G PvP). Slices are (local time) :
Slice 1 - 0000h
Slice 2 - 0500h
Slice 3 - 1000h
Slice 4 - 1600h
Slice 5 - 1900h

For slice 1 and 2 I am sleeping.
For slice 3 and 4 I am at work.
Slice 5 I am just getting home from work and is the closest to viable bit still not great.

Am I the only one with terrible options ?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    I'd like to see more time options - having a job and playing is really difficult - time slices for me don't provide an option that doesn't impact adversely ability to score well unless game takes over real life.

They could do

Those 6 regularly spaced options would be far better.

Give number of slices and time zones they could even do

Unless there is a limiting factor on the number of slices for technical reasons I can't see downside to more options - you want us to play and presumably spend our money then it's in your best interests to be as flexible and offer attractive times to play worldwide
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PvP they're all technically good, some just cost more than others. I usually pick 3am. Sure I'm sleeping then, but that means I can play at 9pm-10pm, throw an 8 hour shield up and be done.

PvE is a bigger issue. There's only really 2 decent slices for me, 3 (5pm local) and 4 (11pm). 4 is better if I have illusions of playing close to optimal, but neither is fantastic given PvP requirements. That's (among the reasons) why I basically stopped playing PvE. I'm out of 'retirement' for Carnage, but I'm hating every minute of it.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    One. It used to be almost zero, the best end time was 10pm my time, had to stay up to 11pm (with a kid that's waking up at 6am) and run the opening of events. Now it's moved back to 9pm my time and is a bit more realistic.

If I'm not playing "exact" I can take the 10am time, that gives me a chance to grind at the end and play 10 (open)/6pm (full, wait until 7)/2am skip, 7am (full) - 10am grind. I hit three full and grind, but can't hit three full and the "almost full" + grind.

PVP I can run 1pm/4pm/10pm end times on the F/Sun ends, and either slice 1 or 5 for W end (8pm Tue or 2pm Wed).

Once again - more non-competitive events would be great with this: no need for time slices. Letting players play when they can and when they want - how can that be a bad thing for you???
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    End Times for Slices seem to have changed again (ref: R&G PvP). Slices are (local time) :
    Slice 1 - 0000h
    Slice 2 - 0500h
    Slice 3 - 1000h
    Slice 4 - 1600h
    Slice 5 - 1900h

For slice 1 and 2 I am sleeping.
    For slice 3 and 4 I am at work.
    Slice 5 I am just getting home from work and is the closest to viable bit still not great.

Am I the only one with terrible options ?

dont know what your smoking but im sure these are the same times then been for the last season +
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    the poll was not clear on which events you were referring to - my answer was 1 assuming pve. previous options had 3 viable options for me, currently only 1 and since it is the main viable options for the bulk of the American population, I stay away from it anyway and usually play a non-optimal slice that's generally less competitive.

pvp slice matter much less because everything requires a final shield at a minimum and that gives you a 3 hour window to do your final push. I guess they would matter for someone adamant about not shielding, but my guess is that those won't be finishing t100 anyway, so should matter much less.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    unless game takes over real life.

I see your problem: you are still resisting. Resistance is futile.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    If I want to place well, the 11pm slot is really the only viable choice for me as that's the only time where I have somewhat consistently free grinding time in the hours leading up to the sub ends. alternatively the 8am slice is somewhat decent (except if it's over the weekend). the other slices I only pick if it's a event I don't care about (or only progressions, etc.)

Still, 2 viable choices is a massive step up from the exactly 0 viable choice before slices (5am ending times, yay)
  • If I want to place well, the 11pm slot is really the only viable choice for me as that's the only time where I have somewhat consistently free grinding time in the hours leading up to the sub ends. alternatively the 8am slice is somewhat decent (except if it's over the weekend). the other slices I only pick if it's a event I don't care about (or only progressions, etc.)

Still, 2 viable choices is a massive step up from the exactly 0 viable choice before slices (5am ending times, yay)
    Agreed. Any options beat none.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Instead of 5 staggered times, have an open, 24hr long "enrollment" time for each event. When you finish your first fight, you are on the board, and your own personal clock starts. You have 48hrs to finish the event. Thus, the event as a whole is 72hrs long, and you start and end at a time that works for you. If you miss the initial 24hrs ... you're locked out.

This is brilliant. The only draw back is if you think you finish 50th place. But when all time windows are settled, you end in 60th. Although that's what happens with Alliance scoring. There could be a third column to show how much time is left for each competitor and strategize accordingly. They do this in rally races, so it would work.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    alphabeta wrote:
    Unless there is a limiting factor on the number of slices for technical reasons I can't see downside to more options - you want us to play and presumably spend our money then it's in your best interests to be as flexible and offer attractive times to play worldwide

The problem is that with adding more slices, you are thinning out the player pool even more. People already have the issue of joining a bracket that has been open for days. Imagine how that would look with even more slices to choose from.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I miss the single end time PvP. Was such crazy fun at the end of the event. Know we are never going back which is fine. Would be cool if we could have an off season single end time PvP with decent rewards. icon_e_smile.gif