Brackets - group by platform

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
It's a suggestion, and it should probably go in that forum. But as that is the forum less travelled I thought I'd put it here and maybe a mod could move it. In a couple of days.

With the iThing problems introduced by the last patch, all users of those devices are disadvantaged compared to users of other devices. This is not dissimilar to the problem that Android 5 caused, but at least at that time we had the option to hold off on the update.

Now, obviously this kind of thing will never, ever happen again. But just in case, if the brackets were grouped by platform (Steam, Android, iThing), it would have no effect on position, only progression.

Something to consider, perhaps.

Comments

• The linux users will be top 5 everytime then *kappa*
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I can see a couple of immediate problems with the idea.

First, this will further segment the brackets. I'm not sure how many play in a given PvP, but you would have 5 slices on 3 platforms. Can you do that without creating dead spots? You can reduce the number of time slices, but as someone living in Asia, and with alliance members all over the world, I wouldn't be happy to see that.

Second, your alliance would need to all be on the same platform to collaborate efficiently. You'd have to have X-Men iOS, Steam, etc.

I think the only solution is to properly test patches before going live and don't tie them to character releases. At least run the patch 48 hours in advance.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    With the iThing problems introduced by the last patch, all users of those devices are disadvantaged compared to users of other devices.
    But since the problem is only affected iPhone5 users, what would happen under your plan is that anyone using an iPhone6 would be at a tremendous advantage, since a huge chunk of the people in their bracket would be crashing all the time.
  • An even simpler solution would be adequately compensating the player base when these massive outages occur.

Probably my biggest frustration with the seemingly constant bugs, connection problems, etc. is feeling that the response from D3/Demiurge is essentially, "Meh. Whatever."

While I sincerely applaud the player base's constant attempts to find new and creative ways do their job for the devs, it would be awesome to have them actually meaningfully own some of these issues.

Instead of leaving it to us to figure out how best to prepare for yet another crash, bug, server outage, etc., make a game that runs, or acknowledge it doesn't be rewarding customer loyalty, and not with a hearty, "My bad, bro," or a token. Give us the thing we missed out on through no fault of our own. Simple.

In this case, I'd be getting one 4* card I don't want, can't use, and likely won't have covered and/or leveled within the next year (I have no other 4*s with more than 4 covers after 560+ days), but it would also be the exact thing I might have gained if not for the crash problem.

Further, I likely wouldn't have the roster slot for it, so I'd probably end up selling it anyway, but that's another ridiculous topic, and not even the point. If the player's lose the opportunity to earn something due to developer error, the onus should be on them, not us, to make it right.

For those willing to continue spending money, beginning to do the right thing with this PvE would be the beginning of a very lucrative relationship for D3. For those not willing, it's 1000 ISO or 1/13th of 1/85th of the character pool. Surely not cripplingly valuable on D3's end.

But I digress, and if precedent holds, pointlessly at that.

DBC
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I don't even want to think of the **** bracketing that Steam users would experience.
  • An even simpler solution would be adequately compensating the player base when these massive outages occur.

Probably my biggest frustration with the seemingly constant bugs, connection problems, etc. is feeling that the response from D3/Demiurge is essentially, "Meh. Whatever."

While I sincerely applaud the player base's constant attempts to find new and creative ways do their job for the devs, it would be awesome to have them actually meaningfully own some of these issues.

Instead of leaving it to us to figure out how best to prepare for yet another crash, bug, server outage, etc., make a game that runs, or acknowledge it doesn't be rewarding customer loyalty, and not with a hearty, "My bad, bro," or a token. Give us the thing we missed out on through no fault of our own. Simple.

In this case, I'd be getting one 4* card I don't want, can't use, and likely won't have covered and/or leveled within the next year (I have no other 4*s with more than 4 covers after 560+ days), but it would also be the exact thing I might have gained if not for the crash problem.

Further, I likely wouldn't have the roster slot for it, so I'd probably end up selling it anyway, but that's another ridiculous topic, and not even the point. If the player's lose the opportunity to earn something due to developer error, the onus should be on them, not us, to make it right.

For those willing to continue spending money, beginning to do the right thing with this PvE would be the beginning of a very lucrative relationship for D3. For those not willing, it's 1000 ISO or 1/13th of 1/85th of the character pool. Surely not cripplingly valuable on D3's end.

But I digress, and if precedent holds, pointlessly at that.

DBC
    why shoudl they compensate when it'll "never happen again"? icon_twisted.gif
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, this latest update cluster **** is model-dependent, not OS-dependent.

That would indeed make segregation a little too granular. On the other hand, a bracket of 10 would be better for individual placement rewards. On the third (Motie) hand, it would be rubbish for alliance placement.

Can a mod move this post to the graveyard of Suggestions and Feedback so that I can pretend it never happened?