PVP target node selection

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Just posting another complaint about PVP target node selection. Now that we can only queue shielded opponents, it can be quite hard to find viable targets late in pvp events, when the shield cooldowns mean that everyone is shielded (yet another problem with the shield cooldown system).

But in the last few events, things have gotten even worse for me. On at least two occasions, I have been able to see an unshielded player about 50 points head of me in the leaderboard (e.g. I was at 905 and they were at 955). and I was sure the data was accurate because I left the leaderboards and returned to force the program to re-ping the server.

But no matter how many times I skipped opponents, I could never find that target on my nodes (instead I just got the same 3 30-point targets cycling endlessly). I event rebooted the whole app just to be sure. But no luck.

After a few minutes, I saw the target shield again and that was that. So I had to settle for a less promising opponent which turned out to net me only 11 points, leaving me just outside the top 10. (Ok, I know it's no big deal in the larger scheme of things, but it was frustrating, especially since it has happened to me multiple times in the last few pvp events.)

I get that there will always be some lag between client and server side because the mobile app can't be in constant contact with the server for battery and data-limit reasons. But this is a really frustrating problem, especially in the more barren time-slices where there just aren't that many people playing at any given time.

Comments

• I call it the MMR Loop.

And yes, it has definitely increased this season with the higher points and more shielded players.

On top of this, IIRC, you can only see people inside your time slice as well, which further narrows the pool of potential targets.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hadn't ever really shield hopped or searched for certain people before this season. Tried it the other day using about 1K iso and saw the same 6 people 80% of the time, and the same two people 50% of the time. It was - a bit ridiculous.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    What really bugged me was seeing what should have been a totally viable (and hard to find) high-value target on my leaderboard and not being able to do anythign about it.
  • I was wondering what was up with PvP today, got to 800 for the first time ever, so I consider that a personal success, but at that point I was only able to pull up about 10-15 people constantly. I spent a few thousand ISO on skipping but I hardly ever get realistic opponents.
    I still think there's a few bugs to work out with progression because as of 500 or so points I could only pull 30 point opponents, but right after getting credited for the win and getting the Groot cover, I got shot down 140 points, which is literally hours of work thrown out in 1 fell swoop.

I'm also still unsure why I'm constantly pulling teams like:
    SQK4u6Y.jpg
    With a roster that looks like :
    Ol0ySSO.jpg

I expect levels like that from Maggia nodes, but to go into 5+ of those without wiping my whole roster would be damn near impossible.
    (That pull was after losing 140+ points when it gave me the chance to retaliate, but that's not bloody likely to happen)