What new teams did you use successfully in The Gauntlet?

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
My core of 3Thor, Doom, Loki did not do well on many nodes, i finally learned how to Hulkbomb successfully, and found that Hulk, Kamala, Hood is a monster team! Even with only 4 covers, LCap's red is very nice boosted.

I also figured out how to use Mystique properly.. My arsenal has grown nicely, this is why i love the gauntlet, sometimes you have to get creative and end up finding things you really like, that you would never have used before!

On boards i couldn't hulkbomb, Mystique, Kamala, Hood!

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I Patch-Loki'd (usually with Grocket, except essentials) as much of the 3rd sub as possible, easy team to fight 100 levels over your head with.

The first two subs I mostly ran Kamala-Cyclops-LCap, which is one of my favorites. Mixed in Deadpool/Mystique/3Thor as required.
  • LThor/Hood/Loki ( my cap is terribly covered)
    IF/Cage/Witch
    Doom/GSBW/ProfX
    IW/QS/GSBW
    Kamala/CyC/Daken

These were my "goto" teams. I won most of my 395 events with some form of Hood/Loki/Someone though.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    edited June 2015
    I successfully used Loki to defend against teams with a lot of Strike and Protect tiles.

In particular, I really liked Loki's Black for that Cage, 3aken, Falcon node. I survived the initial onslaught and then quickly turned the tide after letting Falcon make a couple of Yellow matches and stole the 800+ point Cage protect tile.

I only wish I had let Falcon unleash a bird strike before I stole all his precious special tiles.

Boosted Human Torch with Hood and Cage worked really well.

Collect Yellow, Black, and Red. Use 8 Red AP for 3,100+ damage (and collect 2 Red AP), then use Yellow, then use Inferno (assuming you have made at least 6/8 middle spaces usable).

Any real danger gets burned and punched, then the Cage protect + AP denial and 1,500 to 2,000 damage for turn from the Inferno finishes off the rest.

I was also surprised how often I could win with Hood, Loki, and Cage. No AP for the other team, match damage mitigated, Cage unleashed Yellow and Black attacks, Loki did board shake and special tile management.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mystique+Hood owned everything in which they could be used together. They deny AP all day.
  • Buret0
    With my IMHB sitting at 0/1/4, I'm thinking of feeding red to Human Torch and then AP denial with Hood. No Cage means match damage will be an issue until I can fire off my IMHB blue protect tiles.

And I agree with the above comment about Mystique+Hood. I actually used Mystique + Hood + Loki purely for the Massive AP denial and theft.

You match three, shapeshift takes one and DA takes one.
    You match four, shapeshift takes one, DA takes one, and after one more turn Mischief takes about eight.

Edit: shapeshift will be turned into shapeshit if you forget the f.

Then when you have enough AP to fire Masterstroke + Shapeshift + Infiltration + Illusions... Fire Masterstroke to deal massive damage (even with only four covers I was doing over 5000), use infiltration, match any 5s, fire illusions once, match any 5s, and then use Shapeshift again to keep the other side AP locked.

With five covers in Infiltration (plus 4 in Shapeshift and 5 in Hood's DA) I was able to start firing the above mentioned combination every two to three turns.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Lazy Cap/Scarlet Witch/Hood. This team's a bit slow to get going, but it has full rainbow coverage, and you can get a really good rolling stunlock going on two enemies. Once the first enemy's downed, it's all over. Hood accelerates everyone, and ticks down the CDs for both Cap and SW. Great against overscaled, but slow heavy hitters. Not a team I'd use if I need to burst someone down fast, though.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    My preferred go to team of HT/Hood/Loki worked quite nicely even against 395 enemies. And definitely save deadpool money for whales. icon_lol.gif
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I found HT, Loki, and Cmags to be absolutely devastating in the gauntlet. Rainbow coverage, good board shake, special tile steal, AP steal, and some nice high damage abilities. It worked very well for me.
  • Professor X, Magneto (MN), whoever (usually Mystique just because she's got purple as her highest match which makes it easier to run broken combos, but Deadpool would've been fine too).
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    One of my new favorite teams is She-Hulk/Cyclops/Kamala Khan. I don't have Cyclops or KK fully covered yet, so if I need to, I'll swap in Capt. Marvel or Luke Cage for Cyclops, and/or GSBW for KK. I used this team structure in Fly-Fight-Win as well--it worked great as long as I remembered to smack the enemy Carol with a Hypersonic Punch before using Power of Attorney.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had good success with IW, Hood, Deadpool. Hood hid under invisibility and let me fire whales and IW blue to green.
  • OnyxSnake
    OnyxSnake Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Buret0 wrote:

And I agree with the above comment about Mystique+Hood. I actually used Mystique + Hood + Loki purely for the Massive AP denial

I read this and an evil grin spread across my face!
    I have to try this now. Mystique might become one of my goto players if this works out.
  • Personally I didn't really discover any new teams as such... but Gauntlet did make me value She Hulk and Dr Oct a lot more for their utility ability...

Someone who places a lot of status tiles, Dr Oct is now my newest bestest friend!!!

Someone who places very strong special tiles!! HELLLLOOOOOOO She' Hulk's Blue ability!!

Heck if I can't deny AP becuase the opposing team is using Hood, Hello She Hulk's green!!! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Crazy to still not see it at all, but an alliance mate and I Captain Marvel bombed the **** out of this event. My high was 5 red countdown tiles on the Iron Fist node, as absorption proc'd on every turn.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cake walked with Jane Foster/Loki/Lazy Storm

LStorm is 5/5/3, I usually chased Jane's colors once I got 9 yellow my cascades rolled in, it's a little slow to get going but once it does its infinite turn
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    She-Hulk/Loki/Hood. Oh my word, they shined so brightly during the gauntlet. As long as the other team made protect or strike tiles, I could pretty consistently come out of a match with very little damage.
  • Luke Cage, OBW and Thor**/Ares. Full rainbow actives, heal, steal and protection. I found it one of most effective teams in my transition roster.
    Although it fails miserably against She-Hulk. It turned out I don't have any effective counters to Shulk.
  • I had to go CapA/Loki/Hood on the toughest nodes... did Cmags/blade/Falcon for goon nodes... and did XF/CapA/Hood for nodes with more than one "Danger Danger" characters.
    - Unreall
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aidonis wrote:
    Crazy to still not see it at all, but an alliance mate and I Captain Marvel bombed the **** out of this event. My high was 5 red countdown tiles on the Iron Fist node, as absorption proc'd on every turn.

Never thought about that.... Marvel Bombing.. hulkbombing for reds without the team damage.. turns LCap into a killing machine gun!
  • Buret0
    I wiped three times on the Fury/XF/4hor node. Then scaling took them from 250 to 285 for any further attempts.

I was dying with my 123 Hood/220 Mystique/134 Cage... I was dying with my 184 Torch/123 Hood/120 Hulk...

I even tried pulling out 220 Mystique/158 SW/150 Bullseye.

Then I used my 120 IMHB, 126 Gamora, and 128 KK and I brought my Everyone With Me team up.

My IMHB has no red covers, so he was just there to feed Gamora Red.

I had no boosted characters in that group, nothing to stop AP generation, and I was outlevelled 2.3 times by fully covered 4*s. Thankfully they don't have a lot of cheap AP attacks.

By some miracle I was able to get enough black to get Gamora's strike tiles ready and about 18 Red AP before Fury was ready to use his first attack.

I just unloaded with Gamora's slashes only costing 3 AP per hit, and I was able to heal 707 to the whole party every time I used it.

Managed to get off three of KK's bashes before the battle was over... and I pretty much came out with full Health. Considering how close I had come the first three times before wiping, this felt amazing.