Why does D3/Demiurge want longer matches??

This has been brought up on several different topics. It is also apparent that it is something they want with the Health increase. Why do they want it? Can a dev jump in here and just say "We want it because (insert answer here)" and roll out?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Longer matches only really benefit casual players, they log in, do 2 fights, use a couple of health packs, then log in a few hours later..

it does make my wife angrier when i am in the bathroom longer than before...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because their playtesters think that's more fun
    Because scores got too high
    Because health packs
  • My sense of it was it comes down to their desire to promote broader use of multiple characters, rather than one or two really tough characters that everyone had maxed. There were characters that were not being used because they were "too fragile"... not enough hit points to stay in the fight to use their powers, etc. They didn't want to nerf damage-dealing abilities so they bumped up life across the board to keep those characters alive longer. Longer fights weren't the goal, just a side effect of that process.
  • My sense of it was it comes down to their desire to promote broader use of multiple characters, rather than one or two really tough characters that everyone had maxed. There were characters that were not being used because they were "too fragile"... not enough hit points to stay in the fight to use their powers, etc. They didn't want to nerf damage-dealing abilities so they bumped up life across the board to keep those characters alive longer. Longer fights weren't the goal, just a side effect of that process.

The trouble is, with the way PVP works, we're probably never going to see seriously diverse rosters, because it's too risky to have a roster that stands out as being easier than the rest of the pack. Even if defense doesn't usually get you much, it's incredibly important because that's where most people lose most of the points they lose. Right now, defensive losses encourage, if not mandate, safe, risk-free, conformist play. If they got rid of defensive losses, people could actually open up their rosters.

I don't think the devs realize how much they've done to discourage any kind of risk-taking in PVP. It's designed to encourage everyone to use the same team.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My sense of it was it comes down to their desire to promote broader use of multiple characters, rather than one or two really tough characters that everyone had maxed. There were characters that were not being used because they were "too fragile"... not enough hit points to stay in the fight to use their powers, etc. They didn't want to nerf damage-dealing abilities so they bumped up life across the board to keep those characters alive longer. Longer fights weren't the goal, just a side effect of that process.

The trouble is, with the way PVP works, we're probably never going to see seriously diverse rosters, because it's too risky to have a roster that stands out as being easier than the rest of the pack. Even if defense doesn't usually get you much, it's incredibly important because that's where most people lose most of the points they lose. Right now, defensive losses encourage, if not mandate, safe, risk-free, conformist play. If they got rid of defensive losses, people could actually open up their rosters.

I don't think the devs realize how much they've done to discourage any kind of risk-taking in PVP. It's designed to encourage everyone to use the same team.

Yeah, but the "same team" at least changes from week to week now. It used to be the same team through every event, all season long.

I agree with your premise though, from an MMR standpoint. When it was old MMR, I'd use different teams - I really enjoyed the climb to 300, where I'd be running She-Hulk/Captain marvel/required, fun strange teams. With the new MMR you are always against the best, so you better come with your best or expect a retaliation. Before buffed I ran LT/Hood as soon as I got out of seed teams, and never changed out. Now I run whichever two of the highest covered/leveled boosted characters I have from start of week to end of week, and never change out.

Shoot - when seed teams open I'm running my covered but not maxed team just on the off-hand chance that folks see me early, so I don't get interrupted in those first 200 points by folks thrilled to see any character that is below level 120.

To OP: Longer matches, healthpack.pnghealthpack.pnghealthpack.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.png $$$
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I would think that it's because a tactical battle is inherently more satisfying and rewarding than a wave of endless squashes.

Matching 2x black into SS and follow up 1 or 2 other skills on turn 3 was fun but not even remotely engaging as a player. There was practically zero tension or relevance to what was happening on the other end of the board. Taking 5-15 extra free turns by turn 3 with patchneto was the same.

It got to the point of asking yourself why you were playing this game on 'very easy' difficulty every single day?
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    babinro wrote:
    I would think that it's because a tactical battle is inherently more satisfying and rewarding than a wave of endless squashes.

Matching 2x black into SS and follow up 1 or 2 other skills on turn 3 was fun but not even remotely engaging as a player. There was practically zero tension or relevance to what was happening on the other end of the board. Taking 5-15 extra free turns by turn 3 with patchneto was the same.

It got to the point of asking yourself why you were playing this game on 'very easy' difficulty every single day?
    I was thrilled to finally get xforce online and make some fast progress on the "easy" levels of pvp before the changes to pvp on my way to 1000. I got the feeling that I finally made it. And could now play longer by minimizing damage with a quick kill. I wanted to play longer......
    86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif
  • babinro wrote:

Which is definitely no longer a "problem" in PVE anymore...
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My sense of it was it comes down to their desire to promote broader use of multiple characters, rather than one or two really tough characters that everyone had maxed. There were characters that were not being used because they were "too fragile"... not enough hit points to stay in the fight to use their powers, etc. They didn't want to nerf damage-dealing abilities so they bumped up life across the board to keep those characters alive longer. Longer fights weren't the goal, just a side effect of that process.

Yeah, but the "same team" at least changes from week to week now. It used to be the same team through every event, all season long.

I agree with your premise though, from an MMR standpoint. When it was old MMR, I'd use different teams - I really enjoyed the climb to 300, where I'd be running She-Hulk/Captain marvel/required, fun strange teams. With the new MMR you are always against the best, so you better come with your best or expect a retaliation. Before buffed I ran LT/Hood as soon as I got out of seed teams, and never changed out. Now I run whichever two of the highest covered/leveled boosted characters I have from start of week to end of week, and never change out.

Shoot - when seed teams open I'm running my covered but not maxed team just on the off-hand chance that folks see me early, so I don't get interrupted in those first 200 points by folks thrilled to see any character that is below level 120.

To OP: Longer matches, healthpack.pnghealthpack.pnghealthpack.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.png $$$
    Agreed. Before the changes, my PVP climb to 300 was filled with experimental teams. You could try different combinations out. Of course you always ended your climb with a strong defensive team to prevent some attacks. Now, it would be silly to try a new team to fight a level 240 Cap and Torch.

As for the OP's question, I will give D3 the benefit and say that they want me to live a healthier life and play this game less. Technically, you do not have to use any health packs. Once you burn through your roster of viable teams, just stop playing and wait for the refresh. Thanks D3?