Nearly impossible to complete Events

Wonko33
Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
examples:

Ultron 2: if they had told us "Guys we don't think many can complete this" beforehand and we are doing this as a once in a while challenge event

or

Similar to Gauntlet: With
- 1 or 2 3* for where the 2-3 transitioners can complete,
- 2-3 3* and a 4* for the well rounded 3* rosters
- a few 4* for anyone who could complete.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Would be nice to combine both thoughts and have a tiered system where you could choose 2, 3, or 4 star difficulty for the event.

The choice reflects the scaling/difficulty/characters available to use and type of rewards and would probably give ALL players something worth playing for.

I sometimes feel by the time I'm able to achieve the results required for some of these rewards I won't need them anymore.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    a little communication goes a long ways....in all aspects of life. would have really liked different levels of gauntlet for different levels of prizes. I pretty much know I'm not ready to complete a typical one but I'd love to have some better 3rd sub progressions than deadpool's and panther's worst abilities that I have plenty of covers for. I do appreciate the torch black I needed and I added the deadpool black but as it stands, all the remaining nodes are over 100 levels above my top guy and I only have one 166 and the ones I've been using with him are 142 and 104 level, so I don't really feel like banging my head against that wall to scratch out a few more nodes. gonna try to get something I actually need in the panther yellow progression in the jugs heroic (not looking forward to by the way).
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Would be nice to combine both thoughts and have a tiered system where you could choose 2, 3, or 4 star difficulty for the event.

The choice reflects the scaling/difficulty/characters available to use and type of rewards and would probably give ALL players something worth playing for.

I sometimes feel by the time I'm able to achieve the results required for some of these rewards I won't need them anymore.
    Isn't that exactly what the gauntlet is? easy, hard, and 'impossible' difficulty modes? 2* rosters can finish the 1st sub, 3*s the 2nd, and developed 3/4*s the 3rd. The reward for finishing this incredibly difficult PvE is one of the best covers in the game. Seems legit to me.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would be nice to combine both thoughts and have a tiered system where you could choose 2, 3, or 4 star difficulty for the event.

Isn't that exactly what the gauntlet is? easy, hard, and 'impossible' difficulty modes? 2* rosters can finish the 1st sub, 3*s the 2nd, and developed 3/4*s the 3rd. The reward for finishing this incredibly difficult PvE is one of the best covers in the game. Seems legit to me.
    While I agree the gauntlet is mostly what you're saying, I think the guy you quoted is saying that the reachable rewards rarely help improve your roster in a meaningful way. The biggest culprit of this is the season shield simulator. The 2* cover rewards are beyond where a 1* team can reach, and the 3* covers are unreachable by just 2* or even transitioning teams. You pretty much need a 4* team to get that high. So what are those covers really going to do to help that person (even if they're missing covers they dont really improve the guy's roster)? Similar to the gauntlet where you typically need a pretty deep roster to complete each sub considering essentials and difficulty. The HB cover was well selected however and the nodes probably appropriately difficult for that sought after cover.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I put no. I love the concept. However, looking at scaling it is clear that I would not want to see their attempt to delineate between nearly impossible and impossible.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I said definitively no. I have the roster to finish the gauntlet, but I am choosing not to. This is the closest thing to a near impossible match. Having an event be super difficult while here is season rewards just gets too frustrating for me personally. Crashing and burning multiple times on one node made me remember why I use the gauntlet as a time to relax and just play PVP. Even with th HB as the prize there are much less frustrating ways to earn he covers, and I don't think the Devs would give away a prize that I would think would be worth completing the near impossible.
  • Wonko33
    wymtime wrote:
    I said definitively no. I have the roster to finish the gauntlet, but I am choosing not to. This is the closest thing to a near impossible match. Having an event be super difficult while here is season rewards just gets too frustrating for me personally. Crashing and burning multiple times on one node made me remember why I use the gauntlet as a time to relax and just play PVP. Even with th HB as the prize there are much less frustrating ways to earn he covers, and I don't think the Devs would give away a prize that I would think would be worth completing the near impossible.

I liked the crash and burn in previous Gauntlet, when I was beating the nodes it wasn't because of blind luck or WHALES it was because I had finally found the right team to disarm the opponent. This one was a mess with some nodes that had no "solution" just a team that could win with tons of luck or Whales.

I think this was the first gauntlet since the hike in health and the situation was dire.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Yes.

I say this because it's already part of the game we're playing and I enjoy it. I like the fact that this game is challenging even for someone with an established 4* and nearly completed 3* roster. I still struggle on PvE events regularly due to scaling at the end of subs. I definitely struggled on all Gauntlets released so far with this most current one being more difficult than all prior installments.

This is already a game where it's nearly impossible to compete in top 10 pvp solo or as an alliance without being in a a fairly elite group of vets.

I've been playing this type of game since I got here so clearly I enjoy it.
    I'm perfectly fine with having more Gauntlet difficulty level events but I'd rather than be left aside as optional additions to PvE and PvP rather than something 'expected' of all players.

Note: I'd also be happy with more relaxed events like the pre-MMR changed LR events or the current DDQ.
    It's good to have varied difficulty events so you can give your 'weaker' roster characters something to do.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    babinro wrote:
    I'm perfectly fine with having more Gauntlet difficulty level events but I'd rather than be left aside as optional additions to PvE and PvP rather than something 'expected' of all players.

Note: I'd also be happy with more relaxed events like the pre-MMR changed LR events or the current DDQ.
    It's good to have varied difficulty events so you can give your 'weaker' roster characters something to do.

Yes, also. I'd second babinro's thought. It'd be fantastic to have an event of Gauntlet level difficulty running concurrently with a standard PvE, so everyone at all levels can have something to play for. It'd provide an aspirational goal for players still building up their rosters, and a challenge for those with developed rosters. I'd want it to have a fixed level of difficulty, though.

I think one of MPQ's issues at present is this feeling that everyone should be able to play everything all at once. There needs to be so much content available that you have to pick and choose, but with rewards set appropriately to the difficulty level.
  • Wonko33
    morph3us wrote:

Yes, also. I'd second babinro's thought. It'd be fantastic to have an event of Gauntlet level difficulty running concurrently with a standard PvE, so everyone at all levels can have something to play for. It'd provide an aspirational goal for players still building up their rosters, and a challenge for those with developed rosters. I'd want it to have a fixed level of difficulty, though.

I think one of MPQ's issues at present is this feeling that everyone should be able to play everything all at once. There needs to be so much content available that you have to pick and choose, but with rewards set appropriately to the difficulty level.

I like that too, could be like "oh I could barely complete node 10 last time now I'm on 30, I'm progressing" but some people get upset if they can't complete everything.

2 things would be important: progression rewards have to be valuable to your level and it must be made clear how the event works.
  • Given how ridiculously easy this game is most of the time, I wish there were more events like Ultron and Gauntlet with a real challenge to earn a great reward. Having them be solo rather than alliance-based and run concurrently with a "regular" PVE would be ideal, that way there's something for every roster.
  • Not even sure how to vote.

Just got done getting every available character (sans my level 15 MNM) wiped by node 2 of the latest PvE.

With a team of fully covered 2*s and a few respectable 3*s, it would be pretty sweet to make it through more than 2-5 of the 20-30 node PvEs...

DBC
  • I'd have no problem with grueling gauntlet-style PvE's if they also disabled health loss on match exit for said events, so you could actually play around more instead of having to wait hours for more health packs to spawn. That would be exactly like classic PQ games, which I'm very much a fan of. The health pack system actively discourages you from seeking difficult matches or trying out non-standard combinations.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Not even sure how to vote.

Just got done getting every available character (sans my level 15 MNM) wiped by node 2 of the latest PvE.

With a team of fully covered 2*s and a few respectable 3*s, it would be pretty sweet to make it through more than 2-5 of the 20-30 node PvEs...

DBC

Heroics are particularly tough on 2* rosters. With a restricted roster selection, you end up running with one or two 2*s, and a woefully undercovered 3*, which is a great recipe for wall splatter. icon_e_sad.gif

Unfortunately DBC, you've had the joy of having two of the most difficult PvE events run back to back (the only thing worse than Juggernaut: Heroic is Venom: Heroic).
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, as long as there are no essential 4* characters, because that automatically bumps the event from "nearly" to "completely" impossible for a large portion of the players, regardless of what the rest of their roster might look like.

In the Gauntlet, if you don't have an IW, you can't finish the event...I know there are essential 3* characters as well, but you are much more likely to have a specified 3* than you are a 4*, especially a 4* that has historically been pretty weak, to the point of being a joke.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Konman wrote:
    Yes, as long as there are no essential 4* characters, because that automatically bumps the event from "nearly" to "completely" impossible for a large portion of the players, regardless of what the rest of their roster might look like.

In the Gauntlet, if you don't have an IW, you can't finish the event...I know there are essential 3* characters as well, but you are much more likely to have a specified 3* than you are a 4*, especially a 4* that has historically been pretty weak, to the point of being a joke.
    I agree with this completely. You should always be able to attain all PvE progression rewards whether you have the essential characters or not.
  • I voted No. I don't mind a challenge, but i play this game to have fun and "nearly impossible" doesn't sound like much fun to me.

In the context of the poll question, i value a few days off from an unforgiving grind than a decent or even good reward.

easy...marc
  • morph3us wrote:
    Not even sure how to vote.

DBC

Heroics are particularly tough on 2* rosters. With a restricted roster selection, you end up running with one or two 2*s, and a woefully undercovered 3*, which is a great recipe for wall splatter. icon_e_sad.gif

Unfortunately DBC, you've had the joy of having two of the most difficult PvE events run back to back (the only thing worse than Juggernaut: Heroic is Venom: Heroic).

You have literally described the EXACT experience I had, only difference being 1 2* and two woefully undercovered/leveled 3*s.

I wish there was a middle option between "1* players being equally powerful to 4* vets" and "2*-3* transition players being able to get enjoyment out of the game..."

Not interested in playing "above my weight," but it would be awesome to have something to do other than DDQ, provided I have the required character to even play that...

DBC