Give us set roster spots for all the 1*'s

yogi_
yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
There are always issues with the cost of roster slots and as more and more characters are released, it's only going to become more of an issue.

Given we are stuck with the current model of slots why not give us 7 (I think it is) positions for all the 1*'s.

The open slots are linked to that character only, so if they are used they are used and if not, they just remain empty.

It means early players save HP, longer time players can keep the 1*'s (and get a couple more slots to use) and more characters can be used in the game for easier missions and when boosted.

Comments

• I get it. Roster slots are a pressure point of sale. They are what get the new players to pitch in their first five bucks. The continue to climb in price to ensure that no matter how long you go earning enough HP to roster the new releases, eventually you will not be able to keep up, you will be force to buy or sell. Period.

But, there should be different price levels for different rarities. Throw the collectors a bone. With the one slot fits all model, each time that the price jumps another 50 HP, you have to re-evaluate your lower rarity characters, to see if they are worth keeping and the new slot value.

I certainly don't want to pay 850 HP to put daBulls back on my team to try out his new third power, but if a 1 or 2-star slot were offered at around 200 HP with an option to vacate and upgrade it to a 3 or 4-star slot later by paying the difference, (and with the number of 1/2 slots you have not affecting the price scaling of 3/4 slots) well that's a lot more tempting reason to keep more/all of the low rarity characters than 2-star essentials, star-level gated ddq nodes, balance of power, or combined arms could ever provide on their own.
  • Kind of piggybacking off the OP but mostly off CrankyDay...

What if each tier of roster slots was priced?

1* = Free
    2* = 100-250 per
    3* = 250-500 per
    4* = ?

Forget the actual numbers above, but what about the tiering in general? It would mirror much of what exists (you start paying more when you can afford more, relatively speaking).

Further, those "difficult choices" we keep hearing about would make some kind of sense. Do I spend big cash on a 4* slot or open a couple more 3* slots and let the 4* go for now?

Finally, if we're stuck with the latest "Let's make EVERYTHING essential!" idea, it would sting MUCH less to have to pony up a set 250 or whatever HP vs. potentially blowing 800+ to slot a 2*...

IDK, just throwing it out there.

DBC
  • that actually makes alot of sense. Sort of like the F2P buffer in alot of games.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards

1* = Free
    2* = 100-250 per
    3* = 250-500 per
    4* = ?

This has been suggested several times around here, and I'd like to see it. If there is anymore 2*'s introduced right now, I can't possibly afford to put them on my roster : I'm already having to sell 2*'s to make room for the 3*'s. The game is forcing me to sacrifice PVE scores (oh well, right?) to be able to run DDQ.

I'd really like to see this implemented/fixed BEFORE I sell more fully-leveled 2*'s; four of those are already gone.
  • Not gonna lie, everyone would like it. That's pretty much why it's not gonna happen. D3 doesn't cares about how we feel about roster slots as long as we keep buying more to not lose content, dropping a few bucks there and there an then BOOOOOM, 900+hp per slot.

This has been talked about numerous times and yet they ignore it.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Not gonna lie, everyone would like it. That's pretty much why it's not gonna happen. D3 doesn't cares about how we feel about roster slots as long as we keep buying more to not lose content, dropping a few bucks there and there an then BOOOOOM, 900+hp per slot.

It's true that until now they clearly refuse to cap roster cost and instead made changes to increase spideycoin.pngspideycoin.png flow. However, I think they'll say a few words about this issue for the Q&A answer. I'm curious to hear if they will defend their current position or at least admit there is a 'roster slot' issue.
    PS: Still I'm aware they need to monetize the game, we are just asking for some balance I believe
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

1* = Free
    2* = 100-250 per
    3* = 250-500 per
    4* = ?

The problem would be one of implementation. You'd have to define 4 different kinds of roster slot, one per tier. Otherwise I'd recruit Yelena to get a roster slot, sell her, then fill that empty slot with Kingpin. That's an additional level of complexity that I don't see the developers wanting to add. Or test.

So, good idea, and as with almost all good ideas, never gonna happen.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrNitroman wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Not gonna lie, everyone would like it. That's pretty much why it's not gonna happen. D3 doesn't cares about how we feel about roster slots as long as we keep buying more to not lose content, dropping a few bucks there and there an then BOOOOOM, 900+hp per slot.

It's true that until now they clearly refuse to cap roster cost and instead made changes to increase spideycoin.pngspideycoin.png flow. However, I think they'll say a few words about this issue for the Q&A answer. I'm curious to hear if they will defend their current position or at least admit there is a 'roster slot' issue.
    PS: Still I'm aware they need to monetize the game, we are just asking for some balance I believe

I've seen a lot of FtP devs talk about a balance - you have to monetize, but you can't do it at the expense of making your game unplayable to those that want to go FtP.

By requiring all 2*/3*/4* for PVE and making roster spots cost more than they give out, they are making their game unplayable.
  • DrNitroman wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

Yes, I don't them to hand out for free out of blue, but putting a cap on around 750 or making it thrice as longer to jump from 50 to 50.