Why do you lose?

Konman
Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Assuming you lose occasionally, why do you lose? What is the main factor that is determining whether you are victorious on the field of battle, or are carted off unconscious and humiliated. Mainly I am thinking PVP, because scaling in PVE is nuts.

I just lost a match in the current PVP, Top Gun, and without doubt, I was just plain out lucked and got whooped up on. Would not have mattered what my team consisted of, or what their levels were, the universe conspired against me and I had no chance.

So when you lose, what's the reason? If you have a suggestion for an additional option, I'll consider adding it to the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on the play mode. In PvP, usually because the AI gets one or more big cascades, so I'd call that luck. But in PvE it's usually overscaled AI teams that allow very little room for error, and/or require a good board layout to beat.
  • I went with luck re: PvP, but in PvE I would say it's usually me stretching beyond what I know I capable of, hence too powerful.

A couple cases in point:

PvE, the gauntlet, I knew going into the node that I was likely walking out badly damaged. I ended up totally dead instead. lol

PvP, I just took a loss to a team that I proceeded to soundly trounce on retal, like really, really trounced. Almost zero damage on my end, all of them very, very dead within a few minutes. The only way that team could have beaten me, even simply by the numbers, was with a LOT of lucky AI from my team.

DBC
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say for me it's a combination of opponent getting lucky / mistake making on my part. When the enemy gets a lucky cascade, I *should* slow down, take my time, analyze the situation, and do what I can to recover and minimize losses. Sometimes though, I just match faster and faster and get madder and madder, and then... well, the cat gets to learn some new high-volume bad words, and I take a loss. When I am giving an enemy Lazy Thor loud suggestions as to what he should do with a rolling doughnut due to a turn-two 14+ green AP enemy cascade, it's unlikely I'll muster the strategic acumen to salvage the situation. So, I accept at least half of the blame. icon_cool.gif
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    how about I thought i could take an equal team down @ 1/2 health but miscalculated (enemy luck? or too many mistakes to win?)
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Well, I would say the team match up is an even playing field (except in PvE scaling skyrocketed) but about 85% of the time it's due to the board layout. Nothing like seeing your own board shake up does squat (plus destroying your own friendly tiles & barely any enemy ones) compared to the AI with continuos matches. At one point I saw a match 9 in a shape of a backwards L icon_e_surprised.gif