Question for devs and playtesters

13»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    We continually tell mpq that scaling on the high end is starting too high. The matches take too long and are often too lopsided. Often the starting scaling seems like the scaling should progress up to and cap out at.

The reality is that we are continually ignored or they have too many other current priorities with issues that affect more of the player base that scaling for vets.

P.S. unsure of typical or true, but heard level 94 rosters face max scaling of 120. So it is possible they are not aware of scaling at the high end does not translate the same. For example, a level 210 4* is not much different from a 270 4*. Whereas there is a huge difference between a level 210 2*and a 270 or 395 one.

So from one stand point having scaling for players based on 270 is a stretch bc it should be based on 210 for accuracy, not to mention if 270 4* are 1.3 stronger than 166 3*, than 4* scaling should be based on roughly 210. Go further if level 166 3* are 1.3 stronger than level 94 2*, then level 3* scaling should be based on 120ish, which would make 4* 160ish. Any way you look at it, isn't it great to be a vet?

Back when I was in 2* land (for the first 2 gauntlets) I routinely faced level 250+ end nodes with my level 94 roster (don't thinkbi ever saw any 300s though). At the time, stormneto was unbeatable up to 220 or so. And with boosts could take out 250s.

not sure what 2* rosters are seeing these days, not how well stormneto works since mnmags was changed.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    We continually tell mpq that scaling on the high end is starting too high. The matches take too long and are often too lopsided. Often the starting scaling seems like the scaling should progress up to and cap out at.

The reality is that we are continually ignored or they have too many other current priorities with issues that affect more of the player base that scaling for vets.

P.S. unsure of typical or true, but heard level 94 rosters face max scaling of 120. So it is possible they are not aware of scaling at the high end does not translate the same. For example, a level 210 4* is not much different from a 270 4*. Whereas there is a huge difference between a level 210 2*and a 270 or 395 one.

So from one stand point having scaling for players based on 270 is a stretch bc it should be based on 210 for accuracy, not to mention if 270 4* are 1.3 stronger than 166 3*, than 4* scaling should be based on roughly 210. Go further if level 166 3* are 1.3 stronger than level 94 2*, then level 3* scaling should be based on 120ish, which would make 4* 160ish. Any way you look at it, isn't it great to be a vet?

Back when I was in 2* land (for the first 2 gauntlets) I routinely faced level 250+ end nodes with my level 94 roster (don't thinkbi ever saw any 300s though). At the time, stormneto was unbeatable up to 220 or so. And with boosts could take out 250s.

not sure what 2* rosters are seeing these days, not how well stormneto works since mnmags was changed.

I dont' dispute that. As I said, I have no way to verify the info or verify if that type scaling for 94 is typical.
  • Between the boost nerfs, health upgrade, and the polarity shift nerf, Magstorm isn't nearly as good for Gauntlet. It used to be an easy go to cheese move, but it's not going to get you past level 180 - 200 any more. Cage will probably give you another 50 levels.

Magneto/Mystique/Cage somewhat still works with Cage pulling the defensive weight in keeping the 2 feathers alive. Doesn't work for any gauntlet node where the AI is pumping out active moves though.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    I suspect the node only being beatable with super-whales falls into the “feature, not a bug” category. You've got Ultron dropping doom bombs with allies who move the board, meaning one enemy cascade could spell your utter annihilation, you've got Mischief and Furious Charge depleting your AP...there's clearly no way to win a battle of attrition there, and the odds you'll be able to get together enough AP for an alpha strike on Ultron are vanishingly small. It's not a fight, it's a race – can you get the 14 purple before they wreck you?
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2015
    fmftint wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    How many times have you beaten it?
    How many tries did it take you to beat it on average?
    Who did you use, and what level were the opponents?
    How much fun was it?

Please, tell us all about it...
    Not a tester, but
    1: 1
    2: 3
    3: LCap 192/IW 160/Hood 166 opponents: 253/254/254
    4:

That was my team too. My Cap was 220, IW 190, Hood 130, opponents were level 350 or so. Maybe my third try? Once you down Ultron with a few redcaps the rest of the fight isn't too bad. An invisible character swapping a bomb to the bottom row takes no damage. IW's force bubbles (on the bottom row) will stall a row from dropping for a turn. I think she got bombed halfway through though.

I whaled a couple nodes (Prof X tended to provoke that kind of retaliation after a couple attempts). I definitely think they could ease up on the scaling, or at least mix it up with a couple easier nodes (3 lieutenants would be a different kind of challenge). Final node should have been 3xBagman, I would have died laughing.

I don't remember what my team was for node 42, probably the same. I noticed a trend for most of those nodes was ABL; Always Bring Loki. (except of course if he's fighting you). at 250+ AP drain is the strongest strategy, and when the enemy gets some specials out, he steals 'em.

Gotta say I did also get tons of mileage from IW's protect tiles. Having Level 340 Nick Fury match his own Demolition tiles for 1 damage each... Yeah. And speaking of IW vs. Fury, nothing beats invisible Hood matching the Demolition traps, taking 0 damage.

But IW vs. QS was a surprise. IW's locked tiles count for Supersonic, which means it's really easy to get to 5 and blow up the board. When my QS eventually gets a few more blue covers I will totally combo those two together.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    If I'm not mistaken, scaling is still somewhat dependent on how you do in missions. E.g. if you play through the easy beginning missions with your A-team, difficulty will increase accordingly and you're bound to have a ton of 395s at the end.

I let my d-listers get chewed up by even-leveled opponents, then c-listers etc up until I needed to rely on my top tier team to win the fights. If that's why my difficulty was only 350 by the end, yay. Or you know, maybe it's something completely different.

Then again you used to be able to tank 10 missions in a row and actually see the difficulty drop; I haven't experienced that in a long time, so maybe it's different now.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Just a suggestion, something that I learned 2 or 3 Gauntlets ago, is that the regular nodes tend to be more difficult than essentials, and the more essentials you beat, the more difficult the regular nodes become. I do NO essential nodes (in ANY gauntlet difficulty level) until all the regular nodes are done. Only then do I move back to front with the essentials (last ones first). It tends to get progressively easier, and the scaling is not as bad (as in, it's 345 not 395, wooo!).
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, bear in mind that the node in question is an essential.