Roster Advice

Options
Warbringa
Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Ok I could use some advice about my strategy of 2* to 3* transition. I currently play mostly PvE but will sometimes jump into PvP when there are covers I want to try to grab. In PvP I normally place top 25 (can grab 2 covers) when I really try, top 50 when I don't try. Same with PvE when I try I usually place top 20, when I don't I am way down there as PvE is so much more time intensive. I always complete the Deadpool Daily's when I have the characters to do so. My alliance is fun and a good team, but we are not competitive.

My current strategy has been to hold my characters at lvl 94 so as to not increase my PvE scaling to bad. However more and more recently I am running into characters in the low 110's in PvE and it has been making life difficult at times. This isn't an issue if some of my best characters happened to be boosted during that event but can be tough if I don't have good boosted characters. Thankfully I have a diversified enough roster that I can make several full PvE teams. My concern is whether I am taking the best approach since I tend to focus on PvE more by not leveling up my characters or am I hamstringing myself since my success in the PvE is causing my scaling to increase to the point where it is outpacing my characters?

I also have three 2* characters that I have held on to that are cover wise maxed out but I am not sure if I should just ditch them since the iso cost would be so high to level them. I have: icon_bullseye_old.png lvl 15, icon_hawkeye.png lvl 15, icon_humantorch.png lvl 15, icon_moonstone.png lvl 15
Suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Roster - 2*maxes - icon_thor.pngicon_daken.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_storm.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_ares.pngicon_ms_marvel.png
Roster - 1* maxes - icon_ironman.pngicon_hawkeye.png (for Deadpool Daily's and Hawkeye was good against Ultron boss fight)

Current: iso8.png 14,000

3* Roster:
Lvl 166
icon_deadpool.png 5 redflag.png /5 purpleflag.png /3 blackflag.png
icon_hulk.png 5 greenflag.png /3 redflag.png /5 blackflag.png
icon_doctordoom.png 5 blackflag.png /3 blueflag.png /5 purpleflag.png
icon_cyclops.png 5 redflag.png /3 yellowflag.png /5 blackflag.png
icon_blade.png 3 blackflag.png /5 purpleflag.png /5 greenflag.png
icon_rocket.png 5 yellowflag.png /4 greenflag.png /4 blueflag.png
icon_lukecage.png 4 yellowflag.png /5 redflag.png /4 blackflag.png (want 1 more yellow cover)

Lvl 110 (optimum covers attained)
icon_squirrelgirl.png 3 yellowflag.png /5 purpleflag.png /5 greenflag.png
icon_daredevil.png 3 purpleflag.png /5 blueflag.png /5 redflag.png
icon_humantorch.png 5 redflag.png /5 greenflag.png /3 blackflag.png
icon_caroldanvers.png 5 redflag.png /3 blackflag.png /5 yellowflag.png

(maxed cover but not optimal)
icon_ironman.png 5 redflag.png /4 blueflag.png /4 yellowflag.png
icon_scarletwitch.png 5 purpleflag.png /5 greenflag.png /3 blueflag.png
icon_blackwidow.png 5 greenflag.png /4 redflag.png /4 purpleflag.png
icon_loki.png 5 blackflag.png /4 purpleflag.png /4 greenflag.png
icon_magneto.png 4 yellowflag.png /5 redflag.png /4 blueflag.png

(less than max covers)
icon_wolverine.png 2 greenflag.png /4 blackflag.png /1 yellowflag.png (this is 4* XForce)
icon_ironfist.png 2 greenflag.png /4 purpleflag.png /5 blackflag.png
icon_punisher.png 5 blackflag.png /2 greenflag.png /5 redflag.png
icon_kamalakhan.png 4 yellowflag.png /4 purpleflag.png /3 greenflag.png
icon_gamora.png 3 redflag.png /3 greenflag.png /5 blackflag.png
icon_mystique.png 5 purpleflag.png /3 blueflag.png /4 blackflag.png
icon_thor.png 5 redflag.png /3 yellowflag.png /4 greenflag.png
icon_quicksilver.png 2 blackflag.png /3 blueflag.png /4 greenflag.png
icon_daken.png 3 purpleflag.png /2 blackflag.png /4 blueflag.png
icon_colossus_new.png 4 yellowflag.png /3 redflag.png /5 blackflag.png
icon_hood.png 4 yellowflag.png /4 blueflag.png /3 blackflag.png
icon_wolverine.png 4 greenflag.png /4 redflag.png /4 yellowflag.png (patch)
icon_captainamerica.png 1 yellowflag.png /4 redflag.png /5 blueflag.png

I then have a couple of 4* characters with one to three covers and the following 3* characters still working on: icon_falcon.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_shehulk.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_storm.png

Also working on a 2nd Cyclops with a 5/5/3 build.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    keep the 2*'s, they are essentials in PVE now.

your blade,doom, and SG are coming along nicely!

For now, until you have a nice rainbow , stall your 3*s at 94. This way it does not mess with your scaling, but gives you options as far as teams to try. It will also be easier for you to hit top 150 etc in PVE's until you are ready.

Loki and GSBW are usable as is, but would really go for 1 more green in each before you take them into PVP.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd level ares (he's actually stronger than thor in many ways). cap and marvel are both optional to me. both serve a purpose but unless you are willing to spend to keep characters, they may be cut options. I regretted selling my cap right before ultron because my ***cap was not quite ready yet and having 5 red and blue would have really helped. marvel has a usable black which is rare in ** land and some use her a lot. I never did use her since i tended toward ares/thor for my r/y damage guys. if you can afford to keep everything, do that. if not, consider consolidating your *s to just jugs or im35 and consider cap and marvel. good luck.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'd level ares (he's actually stronger than thor in many ways). cap and marvel are both optional to me. both serve a purpose but unless you are willing to spend to keep characters, they may be cut options. I regretted selling my cap right before ultron because my ***cap was not quite ready yet and having 5 red and blue would have really helped. marvel has a usable black which is rare in ** land and some use her a lot. I never did use her since i tended toward ares/thor for my r/y damage guys. if you can afford to keep everything, do that. if not, consider consolidating your *s to just jugs or im35 and consider cap and marvel. good luck.

Would depend on his build.. if you have him at 5/3/5, level him! That green / yellow are killers, especially when boosted! you can one shot many a 3* with that combo, well 2 shot since 2 diff skills
  • Warbringa
    Options
    My ares is greenflag.png 5 redflag.png 2 yellowflag.png 5 (still waiting for one last red cover). I know he is a beast and I usually take him out first when fighting him unless there is a dangerous support character that needs attention first.

I was thinking we would be the best to keep of the three 2*s I have not leveled up yet, especially since I go through hps on Thor and Wolverine as Y/R/G characters, it would be nice to have a third. I also know that it is a lot of iso 8 to max him out too but I suppose I am still far enough away from having a full 3* team with enough covers (11-12 each) to warrant pumping iso 8 into them.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Malcrof
    Options
    If you can afford the roster spots, keep them all for essentials.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Ok happened to just get 2 Ares red covers, only used the 1 and sold the other of course. Wonder if the devs read the posts and send us covers we need icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Ok so I went against some of the advice (just got too tired playing same guys/teams with no progress) and started leveling a few characters up to 110 and haven't seen a huge issue yet with PvE scaling. It has also helped me somewhat in PvP but my biggest weakness is a lack of good red abilities especially with higher level characters. I think I will level up Ares as suggested by you guys but he doesn't help much on the red side of it as his red is probably his worst power.

I also have 2* tokens that I am torn between selling and keeping. I have 2 modern hawkeyes, 2 bullseyes, and 2 johnny storms (had this guy once but sold him off when I got 3* before essentials). My roster slots are costing me 600 hero points right now and I have about 3000 hero points. I am hoping to get Black Panther and She-Hulk (maybe Psylocke too) someday and the faint possibility I pick up some new 4* cover, but is it worth recruiting these guys since I will probably never level them up? I know someone earlier commented get them just for the pve essentials what are other peoples opinions? I seem to have an aversion to spending hero points for characters I will never level up, is this just me or has anyone else faced this conundrum now with essentials?
  • TxMoose
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Ok so I went against some of the advice (just got too tired playing same guys/teams with no progress) and started leveling a few characters up to 110 and haven't seen a huge issue yet with PvE scaling. It has also helped me somewhat in PvP but my biggest weakness is a lack of good red abilities especially with higher level characters. I think I will level up Ares as suggested by you guys but he doesn't help much on the red side of it as his red is probably his worst power.

I also have 2* tokens that I am torn between selling and keeping. I have 2 modern hawkeyes, 2 bullseyes, and 2 johnny storms (had this guy once but sold him off when I got 3* before essentials). My roster slots are costing me 600 hero points right now and I have about 3000 hero points. I am hoping to get Black Panther and She-Hulk (maybe Psylocke too) someday and the faint possibility I pick up some new 4* cover, but is it worth recruiting these guys since I will probably never level them up? I know someone earlier commented get them just for the pve essentials what are other peoples opinions? I seem to have an aversion to spending hero points for characters I will never level up, is this just me or has anyone else faced this conundrum now with essentials?
    if you have the hp for the slot and there will be ***s that you will eventually use the slot on anyway, I would definitely use the slot for a ** essential I don't have. what I don't recommend is putting 10 covers on that essential lvl 15 character. that is over 2000 iso wasted and you end up never using any of those abilities anyway. I made that mistake last pve with moonstone and never used one of her abilities the entire time. then, when you get your next ***/**** (and if you play enough, it will happen - so don't think that the hp is wasted), then you can sell the lvl 15 ** and not worry about it.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    TXMoose,

Guess I never thought of it that, thanks for the advice!
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Ok, so in PvP I know team construction is often mitigated by who is the featured character but I seem to really suffer on the defense. Which characters on my roster should I try to use for defensive purposes when I am not actively playing?
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Ok, so in PvP I know team construction is often mitigated by who is the featured character but I seem to really suffer on the defense. Which characters on my roster should I try to use for defensive purposes when I am not actively playing?

When possible, always go for a rainbow team.. Whoever the feature is, if you do not like one of their abilities, bring someone who has an ability you like, on the same color, for less AP, so the AI uses that one instead..

There are some PVP vets who will jump in soon and give better advice i am sure, but that is my strategy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    For defensive purposes you want characters who have damaging abilities and who are hard to down, earning you a skip. Defensive win points are down the drain now (reduced by 1/3) so you want skips over wins.

OBW/Ares is one of the better 2* teams, both offensively and defensively, but most people are used to fighting this team.

In your roster,
    IF: You have 5 black, must be doing at least 300 extra per turn. Should deter most 2* teams.
    Possibly Blade: He's not huge on HP, but can be damaging since you have him cover maxed.
    Doom: 2 hard hitting skills, decent hp.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    I know blade with 5 green is a red flag for me. I hate facing blade with 5 green (one of my few offensive losses was to a blade). a couple more green for you and he'll get you more skips for sure. even as he is, his purple is very strong if some strikes are out (if you make sure matchable purples are not out) and black is good too (at 5 it quickly drains it to 0 and then does nothing though).

hulk at a higher level and more black can be a deterrent for lower rosters too (just a lot of health to get through). not so much for the higher ones. I imagine you might get skips for your boosted hulk from the ** guys. with daken/axwolvie both boosted now, it might not be as much of a ** deterrent as normal (they really work well together).

I've heard loki is a deterrent for those looking for a quick hop. one cascade and there goes precious time and ap. but yours is very low level and he doesn't have much health to begin with, so maybe not for now.

other than that, daibar is right - fist (auto damage), doom (big abilities and health), blade (situationally great abilities) are your best characters right now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Ok happened to just get 2 Ares red covers, only used the 1 and sold the other of course. Wonder if the devs read the posts and send us covers we need icon_e_biggrin.gif
    FWIW I have Ares built with 4 green / 4 red. 4 green covers already give you max damage, the 5th only reduces min AP you can fire it to 5. Considering that it always uses up all AP dealing the same per AP damage you get practically no advantage for getting its minimal cost reduced from 6 to 5 - it's almost always you need 2 matches to fire it with the same result.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    So I have enough iso saved out to max 7 3* characters at this point. I have several questions that I could use some advice about going forward. Currently all of my character are level 110 if covers allow. I have also updated my roster in the OP to reflect its make up today.

1.) Would it benefit me to use my iso to max out 7 3* characters to 166 (would help for PvP I imagine) or am I better to spread that out and move everyone to lvl 140 etc (just guessing on that level if I equally level my characters)?

2.) Who would I be best to maximize at this point? I was leaning towards the characters that I have at the optimal covers that I want. I know for certain I would like to max Cyclops, Doom, and Blade but who else would you guys recommend maxing? I also like Rocket & Groot but I would like one more blue cover to get to 5 blue, would it still be worth maximizing him at this point?

3.) I like the idea of having a team (PvP) of Hulk/Cyclops/Doom or Groot/Blade/Cyclops or Cage/Torch/Doom. In the first team I can use Hulk to soak up green and team ups and Doom to soak up purple, black and blue. Hulk's green is a good board shake up and ok for damage. Doom's purple is killer mid match on usually. Cyclops is only matching on red and yellow and his red and black are deadly along with his yellow power to create red. For the second team I like Groot as a damage soaker with his power to heal on yellow matches. He would tank yellow, green, blue and team ups while Cyclops would match reds and Blade would match purple and black. This would be would be an offensive attack team but also perhaps a PvP defense team due to the amount of damage the team can deal? The third team idea is simply a low damage, long match grind team that would allow me to limit PvP damage to my team due to Cage's protect while building up the deadly abilities of Torch (green/red) and Doom (purple). This may also be a team that deters attacks since it could take some time to defeat and could also deal a lot of damage to the attacker.

4.) Would Cage/Loki/OBW be a viable PvP team with Cage's protection even though OBW maxes at 94 and you would have to limit Loki to have OBW purple above his? I know the matches would be time tedious as Cage is your main damage dealer but between OBW Agg Recon (lvl 3) and espionage on blue and purple and her team healing and Loki's AP steal and black (stealing enemy tiles). Loki and OBW low hp totals may be too low to make it even with the AP control but Cage's protect tile maxed out would limit most matching damage and if you could deny opponent of quick damage tiles would it have a chance to take on higher level teams?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cage/Loki/OBW would be asking to get stomped on defense. It would not steal enough AP to let Cage run wild, and while Cage may prevent most match damage (and Loki would make big matches expensive), he'd only prevent a fraction of damage from powers. Loki's black is great if you're feeding the opponent strike tiles (Patch) or if the mindless AI is firing off abilities as soon as it can, but a human opponent will just save those abilities until Loki is ready to be downed or the AI fires off Jab, Jab, Cross with 6 black AP.

If success in pvp events is a goal, I would max out the characters you intend to bring. Anything less is going to draw attacks. Give preference to A-listers like Cage and Cyclops. Torch is a good damage dealer, but squishy. Groot is beefy and will let you conserve health packs, but utterly ignorable on defense by most rosters. I don't have a lot of experience with Doom, but he seems like a cool dude.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Ok I maxed out Cyclops, Doom, Blade, Cage, Hulk, Deadpool and Grocket. That used up most of my iso and I will add levels as I gain iso. I will probably focus on Black Panther, Classic Mags, SW and GSBW. I would love to level up Thor but I am missing too many yellow and green covers yet to make him useful so he will have to wait.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    Ok, revisiting this thread about my roster that I started back in May of 2015. Interesting to see where I was then and somewhat sad to see that I still haven't been able to progress into 4* land since it has nearly been one year. I also added a MPQ roster sig to list my roster easier now. I have most of the 4* characters on my roster (except Venom and SpiderGwen) however none are relatively useful. My best covered is IMHB at 9 covers but I really want those last 2 reds before I start investing in him heavily. I have champed several 3* since the feature came out but still feel like I am just spinning my gears. The issue is that I know I was far more competitive last May than I am not even though my roster is better and I have spent way more time playing in the past six months than I did ever before.

Ok for the roster help question: I have decided on maxing out at least 4 more 3* and am wondering if you guys think it is worth doing and it which order I should do it. I have enough Iso right now to max one out completely. Here is my pros and cons and would like to get the communities advice. I normally play PvE but have burnt out on it recently so I play PvP more right now for the iso (not placement as I can't compete for good placement anymore in 4* meta). I also do DDQ daily. Here are the four 3* characters I intend on still maxing:

icon_punisher.png Ok, so first of all he is my favorite comic book character and I feel bad for not maxing him sooner but I rarely use him. On the plus side I know his red power can be really useful but his green and black are less desirable. I also have 2 covers for him right now sitting in my inventory with one disappearing in 5 days. On the con, I don't use him that much and I don't know if I will utilize him in many teams since he is a low-mid tier 3*.

icon_daredevil.png Pros - his color combo is unique for 3* and could be useful. His blue is a great stun power that can lock matches down if you get it going and his red has good damage. Con - His red is unreliable as a damage dealer and his purple is underwhelming, I also rarely use him except on matches against the Hulk only during that PvE where I use his stun, I may use him more if he is maxed due to his color combo but just not sure?

icon_ironman.png Pros- his yellow battery ability is now awesome and puts him in 3* high tier land. I know he is the best right now of the four I have listed. I also eventually need those IMHB champ levels but those are way far off so not too important at this time. Cons: I already have two good 3* with his color combo (Mags and Cap). Mags is still better for damage for example. By big fear is that they nerf the yellow down due to the impact it may have on the meta by feeding really powerful 4* and 5* characters AP too quickly at which case I may not be happy with maxing IM40 as his yellow is the only reason I would do so in the first place

icon_loki.png Pros- he is a support character that I love to pair with Patch in matches (especially the gauntlet). He is also very effective in specific situations where the enemy produces a lot of strike and defense tiles and his green is useful in slowing down enemy AP gain. He is probably the 3* character of these 4 that I use the most even though he is underleveled compared to the rest of my roster Cons- he is only a support character with a color scheme that I already have to better characters with (Blade and IF) and even with maxing him out he is still squishy

So what do you guys think would be my best strategy. Looking at my roster, am I neglecting any important 3* that I should consider over these choices? My plan after maxing these four characters out is to simply hoard iso until I get useful 4* characters to spend it on.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    im40 is a no brainer to me. yes those others have better red/blues which actually works perfectly as they can better use that ap that tony generates. add a good green user (kk or similar) and you've got a great team. 3stark may be the best support character in the game right now (any rarity level) and tanky health to boot - will do well for you well past your 4* transition. I use him extensively now with combinations of ice, cyke, and 4thor (and even cmags in LRs). loki depends on if you ever want to pvp with him. if you do, max him/champ him. if you'll stick to mostly pve with him, keeping him off of tanking as much as possible comes with benefits there.

that leaves pun and dd - 2 of the weaker characters in my opinion and I don't see any reason to spend iso on them, but I'm millions of iso in the hole for my 4s, so that's just my perspective. daredevil can be a blast and frustrating in consecutive matches. I'm not of the opinion that those are worth iso, but if you love them and use them often, go for it. I use gamora much more than many, so I champed her. same with torch, but after the ddq today he seemed pretty weak at 270. I think daken, gamora, and torch might be better choices than pun or dd, but that is based on who I use. if you use dd and pun more, then do them.
  • Warbringa
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    im40 is a no brainer to me. yes those others have better red/blues which actually works perfectly as they can better use that ap that tony generates. add a good green user (kk or similar) and you've got a great team. 3stark may be the best support character in the game right now (any rarity level) and tanky health to boot - will do well for you well past your 4* transition. I use him extensively now with combinations of ice, cyke, and 4thor (and even cmags in LRs). loki depends on if you ever want to pvp with him. if you do, max him/champ him. if you'll stick to mostly pve with him, keeping him off of tanking as much as possible comes with benefits there.

that leaves pun and dd - 2 of the weaker characters in my opinion and I don't see any reason to spend iso on them, but I'm millions of iso in the hole for my 4s, so that's just my perspective. daredevil can be a blast and frustrating in consecutive matches. I'm not of the opinion that those are worth iso, but if you love them and use them often, go for it. I use gamora much more than many, so I champed her. same with torch, but after the ddq today he seemed pretty weak at 270. I think daken, gamora, and torch might be better choices than pun or dd, but that is based on who I use. if you use dd and pun more, then do them.

Thanks for the advice moose that is what my gut is telling me too. I may still do Punisher first though just because of the covers and work on IM40 next since I plan on doing all four characters anyway. I already have about an additional third of the iso saved up for another 3* max out so I should be able to max IM40 out within a week and half (maybe slightly longer since I am not grinding PvE at the moment).