Negative 'Downvoting' Removed

whitecat31
whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This topic was locked recently. So I am posting this here. I have noticed that the atmosphere and hostility on this board has risen. It also seems like the Moderation has dropped. (Did MPQ have a moderator quit?)
I normally down vote posts where people actively insult each other.
That option is not available anymore and trolling is up.
Oh well This too shall pass.

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hopefully if people are getting more hostile, the offended people aren't too shy about using the report button to let the mods know what's happening.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll be personally stepping up the pace with moderation soon. I've been preparing an official-esque post to adress this same issue.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    Feel free to use any of these:

EYZ90Jw.png

77oDlDN.png

PUM1I6d.png

9o8bufk.png
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone needs to moderate the Changes To Scoring In Versus Events thread, it is getting vicious in there.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Someone needs to moderate the Changes To Scoring In Versus Events thread, it is getting vicious in there.

Yea, that really escalated quickly over there...

Ry1AMgq4.jpg
  • GothicKratos
    Malcrof wrote:

I'm on my way home. (:
  • With the recent fun balancing of down votes, up votes have become completely OP.

Nerf up votes. Bring back down votes.

Edit: After thinking about this a bit more, removing down votes has led to a completely unanticipated result that the crack squad @ D3go couldn't see coming. Good thing stuff like this doesn't happen in...err...wait.
    nevermind :(

marc
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whereas at first I believed removing the downvote button was a good thing, I am quickly becoming of the mindset of wanting it back.

Mainly so that the people that used to silently voice their discontent and get their kicks from clicking that button, don't become accustomed to now voicing their discontent. I was under the wrong impression that it would stimulate lively conversation and an interchange of thoughts and ideas the people could benefit from... but that was idealistic.

"They" (not anybody in particular) were better off seen and not heard. I'd rather feel a small prick from a downvote than have to read the rantings of a small prick.
  • I think it was better when the nasty, petty, insult wars took place in the voting where it was easier to ignore, than out in public where it tends to eat threads.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

It is now temporarily locked by the moderator. Hopefully, carryover from that discussion does not come here.
  • GothicKratos
    Please see this; viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30171&p=363231#p363231

There will be an increased crackdown on negative behavior going forward. It wasn't okay for people to be rude in downvote comments, just as well as it is not okay for them to be rude in a regular comment. Now it's easy for me to see who's being a prick to the finger and whom isn't (there was also no formal way to report an up/down vote, there of course is, for posts).

If you want to discuss this please do so in that thread. I will be keeping it open.
  • no downvoting is good now I can just ignore haters and meanies and the can't impact me unless they wanna get reported
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    no downvoting is good now I can just ignore haters and meanies and the can't impact me unless they wanna get reported

I'm don't mean to attack you, so I hope you don't take it that way.

But you do realize the negative effect a post like that has on people's opinion of you and what you post, right?

It implies a certain petulance on your part. Images of the kid taking his ball and going home. Or the kid in the neighborhood that you don't want to play with because you know if he doesn't win or gets hurt he is going to go tattle to his parents and all that involves.

Just sayin'.

Take care!