With the drop in cost to level up, are boosted characters

slidecage
slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
really needed anymore.. I think they said they boosted people so they would see more people used, Well many people were using the same people over and over and over since they did not have the ISO needed to level up the people, now with the drop in price of level up the covers is boosted characters really needed. Now we are going to be hit with people who are boosted and higher level meaning even longer right.

Yes when the cost was still up there to level up your people the boosted might been a good idea but now with the cost being dropped and many leveling up their other people do we really need Boosted Characters

Comments

• Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Boosted chars were to stop the XF/4hor wall that you got over a certain level. It had nothing to do with iso costs.

Simple fact of the matter is that players were working out the best 2 man team + required character and running that. (usually maxed XF/4THor). This changed as soon as the 3*s got boosted up to their level, as those 4 stars suddenly didn't have the same punch as the boosted patch + lazy thor. Now, as the boosted chars change each week, the best team one week may be the worst the next week.

It's made higher level pvp way less repetitive -- especially as sometimes people don't have the two "best" boosted characters maxed out.

Iso cost reduction is a completely separate issue.

Cheers
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    I use the snot out of the boosted characters... it makes my 120s or 140s incredibly useful and really expands my availability for roster selection. The boosting hasn't stopped me from leveling up the characters at all, it's just allowed me to use them to devastating effect and then level them up to make that effect more permanent.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tannen wrote:
    Boosted chars were to stop the XF/4hor wall that you got over a certain level. It had nothing to do with iso costs.

Simple fact of the matter is that players were working out the best 2 man team + required character and running that. (usually maxed XF/4THor). This changed as soon as the 3*s got boosted up to their level, as those 4 stars suddenly didn't have the same punch as the boosted patch + lazy thor. Now, as the boosted chars change each week, the best team one week may be the worst the next week.

It's made higher level pvp way less repetitive -- especially as sometimes people don't have the two "best" boosted characters maxed out.

Cheers

Then they boosted XF
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    d0nk3y wrote:
    I use the snot out of the boosted characters... it makes my 120s or 140s incredibly useful and really expands my availability for roster selection. The boosting hasn't stopped me from leveling up the characters at all, it's just allowed me to use them to devastating effect and then level them up to make that effect more permanent.

Same here. If I have a boosted char that is fully covered I'll dump whatever ISO I have into them and take them to ~100 or so and use them for an event. I'm starting to get a pretty solid roster with fully covered characters between 100-140. That push from 140 up to 166 is pretty brutal though.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

Cheers

Then they boosted XF

First of all in the same week when xf was boosted bp was boosted as well, and bp if were more devastating team than if xf. Second nerfed xf is just not intimidating anymore, I myself play him only in pve now, in PvP he's warming up the bench. Don't blame xf for everything that is wrong in this game, as he's hardly top tier now.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    d0nk3y wrote:

Same here. If I have a boosted char that is fully covered I'll dump whatever ISO I have into them and take them to ~100 or so and use them for an event. I'm starting to get a pretty solid roster with fully covered characters between 100-140. That push from 140 up to 166 is pretty brutal though.
    I see lots of rosters that have a large stable at somewhere between 94 and 120. mine are at 104. before r75 I had ~6 or so at 102/104. now I have 18 around that range and several in the 90s and while I have my single 166, I have options to go with for my initial push and who to pair with him. I really think I'm going to be right here for a long time before I push any more up. pvp I can place t100 and even placed t25 when I wanted to with a couple extra hops and pve is not completely unreasonable yet - t50 is pretty easy still. so until I can max 3-4 top characters at once (will screw my pve up badly), I see no reason to change the status quo.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    elvy75 wrote:
    First of all in the same week when xf was boosted bp was boosted as well, and bp if were more devastating team than if xf. Second nerfed xf is just not intimidating anymore, I myself play him only in pve now, in PvP he's warming up the bench. Don't blame xf for everything that is wrong in this game, as he's hardly top tier now.

What is the damage on a surgical strike from a boosted XF per tile? I know that he's doing 781 per tile at 270.

That's typically 9000+ damage, but a lot more if you are intentionally doing board manipulation.

Rage of the Panther does 3708 at maximum before the boost, per character for only one more AP. How much stronger is it when boosted?

Situationally, one will always be superior. Black Panther hits hardest when backed by strike tiles and when the other team has three members. He becomes less effective where there is a low HP urgent target that needs to be addressed first, which essentially wipes out a third of his damage. XF is better against a high health target like Hulkbuster. Rage of the Panther feeds Red AP to Hulkbuster, which will always scare me.
  • With Iron Fist being dominant the value of a character is how well he works with IF. IMHB and Prof X works well with IF so you'll see both used ubiqtiously in PvE and PvP you'd see less Prof X due to matchup issues. X Force does not work well with IF because IFoKL usually greatly decreases the damage done by Surgical Strike so that you're generally better off with a fixed damage 3* black power instead. Also X Force is currently suffering from the HP nerf for having true healing even though it is quite apparent now that Recovery was never what made him overpowered. He should be bumped to the 13K HP tier and if they're worried about people prologue healing, just increase the healing on Recovery by 50% and make it a burst of health. I don't remember using Recovery that wasn't either:

1. Trivial situation where you won the game in 3 turns so you can wait 3 more (doesn't happen anymore).
    2. Desperation situation where you're trying to get a few more games and you got no health packs.

I'll live with #2 no longer being viable because it was never common to begin with.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Phantron wrote:
    With Iron Fist being dominant the value of a character is how well he works with IF. IMHB and Prof X works well with IF so you'll see both used ubiqtiously in PvE and PvP you'd see less Prof X due to matchup issues. X Force does not work well with IF because IFoKL usually greatly decreases the damage done by Surgical Strike so that you're generally better off with a fixed damage 3* black power instead. Also X Force is currently suffering from the HP nerf for having true healing even though it is quite apparent now that Recovery was never what made him overpowered. He should be bumped to the 13K HP tier and if they're worried about people prologue healing, just increase the healing on Recovery by 50% and make it a burst of health. I don't remember using Recovery that wasn't either:

1. Trivial situation where you won the game in 3 turns so you can wait 3 more (doesn't happen anymore).
    2. Desperation situation where you're trying to get a few more games and you got no health packs.

I'll live with #2 no longer being viable because it was never common to begin with.

What I would like to see is XF automatically dropping a Recovery CD tile as a passive. Would make for an interesting dynamic and you can do it a few different ways:

1) Recovery tiles drop each turn that XF is below 50% of max health. Each recovery tile that successfully lands would recover 15% of XFs max health. Matching the CD tile yourself would do nothing, but if your opponent matches the CD tile, the CD tile fires for damage + effect (maybe slightly less damage or a couple fewer tiles popped).
    2) Recovery tiles drop anytime you take damage greater than 5%. They are 1/10th the strength of the current tiles.
    3) A Recovery tile drops every time you take any damage. At level 1 you recover 25% of the damage taken, at level 5 you recover 60%. If you match your own recovery tile, it fizzles and does nothing. If an opponent pops your Recovery tile, they take damage equal to 50% of the amount that would have been recovered. (So example at level 1, XF receives 1,000 damage. Recovery tile pops up that will heal him automatically for 250 health in three turns. If the opponent matches the tile, they take 125 damage, but prevent any healing. At level 5, XF drops a recovery tile that will heal him for 600 health or deal 300 damage if matched.) Can still have some minor lashing out tile popping too.

The nice thing about the third one is that you prevent prologue healing, since you can never recover more than 60% of the damage that you receive. It makes XF difficult to kill, or makes him dangerous to kill.

And if you wanted to avoid the whole mandatory 5 covers into Surgical Strike, you could maybe tie the passive into the power of the Green cover. Maybe if you pop a Recovery CD tile, it could cause XF to unleash his Green attack?

I don't know, I think that there are plenty of situations where using XF's recovery could be made better.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Why do you always put half of the question in the thread title, and the other half in the body of the post?
  • Malcrof
    evil panda wrote:
    Why do you always put half of the question in the thread title, and the other half in the body of the post?

Cliffhanger, makes you click it to see..
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    The trouble with boosted chars is that it really doesnt change the dynamic of good vs average chars. I had two of the top three chars each week so far....and used no one else. And saw almost no one else.

I applaud them for boosting some chars that have synergy (although it could have been the "r"ng they use) but I dont think its achieving their goal....not that we know what that is since they dont really explain their Vision (pun intended)
  • Malcrof
    MarvelMan wrote:
    The trouble with boosted chars is that it really doesnt change the dynamic of good vs average chars. I had two of the top three chars each week so far....and used no one else. And saw almost no one else.

I applaud them for boosting some chars that have synergy (although it could have been the "r"ng they use) but I dont think its achieving their goal....not that we know what that is since they dont really explain their Vision (pun intended)

It does let us try underleveled characters before we sink ISO into them though. I leveled Gamora this week, just because i was having a blast using her boosted (her boosted level was 160) so i tossed 20 levels into her.. That cheap red , with Kalama and Daken has won many many boards.

I like the boosted chars, it has its merits.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Buret0 wrote:
    What is the damage on a surgical strike from a boosted XF per tile? I know that he's doing 781 per tile at 270.

That's typically 9000+ damage, but a lot more if you are intentionally doing board manipulation.

Rage of the Panther does 3708 at maximum before the boost, per character for only one more AP. How much stronger is it when boosted?

Situationally, one will always be superior. Black Panther hits hardest when backed by strike tiles and when the other team has three members. He becomes less effective where there is a low HP urgent target that needs to be addressed first, which essentially wipes out a third of his damage. XF is better against a high health target like Hulkbuster. Rage of the Panther feeds Red AP to Hulkbuster, which will always scare me.

While I don't really disagree with you on potential damage xforce can be with SS in reality its really conditional. Too many times I collected 11 black ap only to have 3-5 strong color tiles on board, and that hardly one shots anyone, even boosted. And while you wait for more strong color tiles to appear, ai unleashes hell on you. His yellow needs a lot of improvement as you mentioned it yourself, and his only fix damage is extremely low. He was the best, now he's just the shadow of his former self that only scares those that don't have him yet.