Take away "weekly boosted characters"

The idea of beefing up a certain set of characters each week isn't "fun", it's just annoying, time-consuming and extra draining on your health packs in PvP. Was this idea brought to life to lower the difficulty level for new players, or to force us to waste our hero points for extra health in PvP? Either way, it's just plain WRONG. This game WAS hardcore (which was good), but you just keep lowering the bar to give new players an easy time, while giving veterans the middle finger.

My faith in you is sooo gone, D3... icon_evil.gif

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea of weekly boosted characters.

Granted, there is a huge grind now, but it is more due to the change in mmr than the weekly boosts.

I actually argue that the change favours the veterans more, because we are likely to have a deeper roster (more 3*) than the new players.
  • I think the idea is a good idea. It could use some tweaks in application, but I like the overall idea that some weeks, some characters are better than usual.

The main thing that MPQ is trying to push is roster diversity, and this does that very well. I would argue this though:

A)Remove 4* boosts all together. A week of Boosted X-Forces is really REALLY dumb, let alone Furys, Thoresses, etc. There's no reason to make the highest level characters higher. (This is coming from a guy with 3x 4*'s maxed...I love buffed Fury and all, but it's dumb)

B)Make the boosts on 1 & 2 *'s to match 3*'s. So, when Juggernaut is boosted, he would work at the same level as an L166 3* character (I'm not sure how the math breaks down on that 1* level wise). This would promote more usage of characters that aren't 3*'s at higher tiers, and would encourage newbies to enter PVP's and would encourage vets to retain 1 & 2*'s.

C)I would weight the characters that are chosen each week based on their usage in PVP the prior week (I believe they can tell this somehow), and have the lowest X be the ones boosted, with a no repeat clause (i.e. no two weeks in a row to be boosted). This would encourage the lesser valued characters to be used more, and would make Bag Man really strong every other week! icon_e_smile.gif

D)I would also offer an ISO bonus on any matches won during a PVP for not using any boosted characters outside of the forced one. (Maybe like 70 or so), just so people that don't have any of them to use don't feel totally **** by that week's roster, even though it wouldn't have any effect on their PVP score itself.

You put those in place, and I think it would really pan out, but I still do like the start.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    I thought the original implementation was designed so that the boosted characters would be able to fight +1 star.png above their designed weight class... there are interesting possibilities there. I am still in a phase where I enjoy the rotating gang-buffs because it disrupts the meta a little. I've seen a parade of dominant teams; with the only disruptions usually coming as a result of nerfs. The rotating buffs are shaking it up a little, and doing so without having our favorite toys broken to get it done.

But the rotating buffs can still wind up shining a very bright light on characters who might still be "too good"; if people continued to use Bag-Man and Yelena (names changed to protect the guilty) for 3 straight weeks even if they aren't buffed that would suggest those characters might be too strong.
  • The idea of boosted characters is "OK".
    Not great - just alight. because some characters need boosting, e.g. Punisher, Psylocke, Spiderman.
    Why they don't just buff/fix weaker characters permanently?

Anyway,
    My main gripe is being forced to use specific characters in PvE. Please let me play PvE how I want to, not how you think would be great - because everyone plays the game differently & we will never agree.

Give me back my Roster.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    maybe have weekly boosted characters have a slight boost and event characters have a major boost, no point using the same characters in both events, too much healthpack.png s
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Heartburn wrote:
    maybe have weekly boosted characters have a slight boost and event characters have a major boost, no point using the same characters in both events, too much healthpack.png s

Unfortunately, they are intentionally structuring events to force you to decide between picking an event or using/buying healthpack.png . The buffed/required PVE character will often also have their feature-PVP run at the same time. I'm not saying I agree with it, just saying its been going on long enough, consistently enough, that its clearly happening on purpose.
  • I like the weekly boosted characters a lot. It gives a variety of ways to play pvp whereas it used to be XF/GT/Featured for every. single. match. Long live weekly boosts!