Can we PLEASE turn off animations?

Deathclaw
Deathclaw Posts: 59
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I just lost top 150 by 3 places on a high-point board, because an enemy cascade against quicksilver took over 30 seconds to resolve. Of course, the cascade happens when they're on their last turn, but I won't start THAT argument, but then its the 4 or 5 blue matches that result in animation...after animation...after animation...after animation. Between the Vision and SW in that same match, I spent more time watching animations than playing the game!

Comments

• d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Deathclaw wrote:
    I just lost top 150 by 3 places on a high-point board, because an enemy cascade against quicksilver took over 30 seconds to resolve. Of course, the cascade happens when they're on their last turn, but I won't start THAT argument, but then its the 4 or 5 blue matches that result in animation...after animation...after animation...after animation. Between the Vision and SW in that same match, I spent more time watching animations than playing the game!

The best part of that match for me was the absolute schizophrenic power casting by Vision. I left him for last, but even once QS was down and it was just him and SW, Vision would cast Density:Heavy and follow it immediately with Density:Light, then match TU tiles. Next round, same thing but he'd match black or something equally useless. Every wasted power was another animation - sometimes three or four animations per turn.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The never ending animations and the EVERY turn update on enemy ap totals are all part of the devs plan to slow everything down to a crawl. So, I think this is one of those "working as intended" situations.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    d0nk3y wrote:
    Deathclaw wrote:

The best part of that match for me was the absolute schizophrenic power casting by Vision. I left him for last, but even once QS was down and it was just him and SW, Vision would cast Density:Heavy and follow it immediately with Density:Light, then match TU tiles. Next round, same thing but he'd match black or something equally useless. Every wasted power was another animation - sometimes three or four animations per turn.

a.k.a. the dumb-droid dance. Pair him with dino (and kamala), and you'll find out that the groove is infectious.

It's the moonwalk for the younger generations!
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    In all seriousness though, they need to TURN OFF the "after the match" cascades of victory. Regardless if it's the player who wins (which is simply a slap in the face, since those firework cascades never happen DURING an actual match.......) or the computer wins (just plain disrespectful).

All these do is waste time and your points don't get totaled / added to your event score until the next screen, thus screwing you, if that event ends in less than a minute to go
  • I find it amusing that so many of us refer to the end-of-match cascades as "victory" animations. Knowing full well I'm setting myself for a "Dude, it's confirmation bias" retort, it is a bit odd that something becomes so seemingly ubiquitous that we agree on a name for it and further request it be taken out of the game...

Not saying there is any appreciable statistical relevance to my experiences, but it is odd that I would have trouble remembering three matches in a row that didn't end with the "cascade fireworks/WOO HOO, you WON!" display...

And those "last few minutes in a PvE" moments? I often end up shaking my phone and actually saying out loud, "Come on, come ON! Yeah, yeah, yeah, GREAT, I WIN! Could we PLEASE hurry this UP!"

Again, I'm alright accepting it's completely random, but man, do I wish my token pulls had the same "random" level of consistency... icon_razz.gificon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind the animations in general, but I do wish they'd cut off once victory or defeat is determined.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    And prevent the AI from continuing to use abilities after you're defeated, too. That's just adding insult to injury. It also betrays the AI's logic - it's clear that at the start of each turn they decide "I'll cast X, Y and then Z, unless I'm interrupted somehow" - i.e they don't make decisions based on their condition after a single ability usage, only at the start of their turn.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Good points, last few posters.
  • I don't see this happening because it will shorten the length of a game significantly. And it's not just for the time it takes for you. It could be considered unfair to those who have the animations on and longer to win a game. For me though, it would be a welcome addition to the game. More option = more freedom.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I don't think it's so much a system-wide problem as it is a problem for certain characters who have passive abilities that activate on certain board movements, like the aforementioned Quicksilver, but there are also others like Daken or Falcon. When you are playing against these characters, a cascade animation can take unreasonably long to resolve. Those animations need to be fixed, and should take around as long as Spider-man's purple activation.
  • I swear when i see certain characters being pitted against me, i just won't play that node.. having to sit through some of those animations are a P.I.T.A especially when you are just teeter-totting between a winning and losing in a game...

Last time i think it was quick sliver match that made me almost break my phone because i was so close to winning, but extremely low on life, and the enemy AI kept hitting blue tiles setting off his animation literally every move, and a few times on cascades...

So i do agree, it would be great if you devs would allow us to turn on / off the animations at will, or maybe at the very least, they could program it so that we only have to see ONE animation per turn (regardless how many powers you use in that turn), thus saving us some time, while not putting all their hard work in making the animations go to waste?
  • throvolos
    throvolos Posts: 49
    Yeah this last PvP session was stupidly annoying because of the Falcon passive.

It would definitely be nice to have an option to increase the speed of animations. For PvP it MATTERS.
  • throvolos wrote:
    Yeah this last PvP session was stupidly annoying because of the Falcon passive.

It would definitely be nice to have an option to increase the speed of animations. For PvP it MATTERS.

^^^THIS.

I am of the opinion that all passive abilities should not have animations. I can handle the little line that shows up for a split second on hood and OBW. But all the passive animations just make me want to throw my phone sometimes. icon_lol.gif Especially Falcon's.
  • First off, they will never enable us to turn it off completely, because it would give a time advantage on pvp over people who don't turn it off, so EVERYONE would turn it off and make all the animators job useless at some point.

Second, they should speed things up, and a lot. Like half second animations for passive and 1s animations for actives, flat equal time for everyone. EVERYONE. It's just frustrating that some animations take more time than others, making some characters worse just because of something that shouldn't be a burden as it doesn't affects the mechanisms of the game at all.

Lastly but not less important, they will never do it. Just accept it and have a better life.
  • ^ Or option 2 is to do as i have and just move onto another game that has devs that don't purposely try and infuriate the player base one way or another...
  • Deathclaw wrote:

I think I started a post just like this a few weeks ago in the "feedback section", where it should be. Well, I agree fully with you on this subject.