Matching with a critical tile

FOADakaSquirrelBoy
FOADakaSquirrelBoy Posts: 82 Match Maker
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Could anybody help me out?

Let's say I have this on the board:

tutile.pngtutile.pngwhitecrit.pngtutile.pngtutile.png
greentile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png

Now I swap the critical with the yellow tile. Do the green and red match resolve at the same time? Which character's match damage gets used?

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could anybody help me out?

Let's say I have this on the board:

tutile.pngtutile.pngwhitecrit.pngtutile.pngtutile.png
    greentile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png

Now I swap the critical with the yellow tile. Do the green and red match resolve at the same time? Which character's match damage gets used?

They should, yes. I assume the match damage is applied for both characters, judging from the slight freeze I see when multiple colors get paired with a critical tile. I'm guessing the game is calculating the multiplier separately for each and applying them that way.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    If i understand you correctly(still half asleep) both resolve simultaneously as you have created two match threes by virtue of the capacity of the critical to assume any colour when matched.

Good use of a critical but better when trigger one of those critical drop down chain reactions. Got one last night in the simulator and it downed Hulkbuster. Ended up with 4 crits on screen. Never had that before. Got them to all detonate a once. Must be karma or something!!
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I'm sure your question is specifically about a branching critical, but I have to point out that given your graphic you wouldn't get a chance to move the tile since it is completing a match-5 with the TU tiles.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posters thus far.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Both at the same time, no different than if you made 2 normal match 3's (each is handled by the strongest user of that color). What's slightly complicated is who ends up tanking at the end of the turn, I think its by the highest overall damage dealt but I'm not sure.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure your question is specifically about a branching critical, but I have to point out that given your graphic you wouldn't get a chance to move the tile since it is completing a match-5 with the TU tiles.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posters thus far.

Actually, s/he might. Just not until after it blew up the line with the 4 TU tiles. That would proc another crit which, assuming it wasn't suddenly in position to touch off another match-3 or match-4 (or, hell, match-5) would be in position to get swapped the same as the one above.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Left then right resolves.
    Almost certain. It's easier to see the pattern of resolution with countdowns, left to right, top down.
    So whoever is making the green match will tank.
    --edit have to retest to make sure. Don't believe me 100%.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    Both at the same time, no different than if you made 2 normal match 3's (each is handled by the strongest user of that color). What's slightly complicated is who ends up tanking at the end of the turn, I think its by the highest overall damage dealt but I'm not sure.
    You're correct on both.
  • The higher damage match-3 will resolve first and deal full damage, while the lower damage match-3 will resolve next and count as the second match in a cascade, thus taking a -25% damage penalty to it. If there were a third simultaneous match, that would resolve last and receive a cumulative -43.75% damage penalty, so on and so forth.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Vynyv wrote:
    The higher damage match-3 will resolve first and deal full damage, while the lower damage match-3 will resolve next and count as the second match in a cascade, thus taking a -25% damage penalty to it. If there were a third simultaneous match, that would resolve last and receive a cumulative -43.75% damage penalty, so on and so forth.

There are damage penalties in a cascade?? wut?
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    now we just need to add a AP penalty to AI crazy cascades, cause F them they are not real people.
  • Boommike wrote:
    Any match beyond the first one in a cascade receives a -25% cumulative penalty to its damage. In other words, match damage in a cascade will progress as follows:

1st match: 100% damage
    2nd match: 75% damage
    3rd match: 56% damage
    4th match: 42% damage
    n'th match: 75%^(n-1) damage

This limits the total damage that can be dealt by very long cascades. Because such very long cascades can only occur by luck, the damage penalty will slightly shift the game's balance of luck vs. skill towards the latter, and that is probably a good design choice for MPQ.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Vynyv wrote:
    Boommike wrote:
    Any match beyond the first one in a cascade receives a -25% cumulative penalty to its damage. In other words, match damage in a cascade will progress as follows:

1st match: 100% damage
    2nd match: 75% damage
    3rd match: 56% damage
    4th match: 42% damage
    n'th match: 75%^(n-1) damage

This limits the total damage that can be dealt by very long cascades. Because such very long cascades can only occur by luck, the damage penalty will slightly shift the game's balance of luck vs. skill towards the latter, and that is probably a good design choice for MPQ.

Especially since as we all know, the AI gets all the monster board shaking cascades that earns dozens upon dozens of AP and wreck the hell out of your team while 95% of all player cascades come right after your victory by dropping your last opponent with a match three. icon_mad.gif