Old Forum Layout - Work Around

Save these links to your bookmarks and use them to log in or just to browse. Then, it automatically routes you to the old forum layout.

ucp.php?style=1&mode=login

LURK (AKA JUST READ...NOT POST):
index.php?style=1

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can also click on the "Old Theme" link at the bottom of the page.
  • You can also click on the "Old Theme" link at the bottom of the page.

Yes, But that only works if you are logged in.

Since most of us have MPQ bookmarked, I figured this was a one step work around, at least until they take away the option for the old layout.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can also click on the "Old Theme" link at the bottom of the page.

Or wait for me to get my user stylesheet done and then use Firefox or Chrome with the Stylish extension; it injects some much-needed desktop usability back into the new forum layout.

The forum HTML and CSS itself is a damned mess though, which is why fixing everything up is going quite a bit slower than I had anticipated. I haven't even gotten around to getting things to work well with all the media query breakpoints: I'm just fixing up the full-size version for now...

Just to illustrate the madness, this is their idea of adding color transitions to buttons and text inputs:
    /* Transitions
    ---------------------------------------- */
    #login-box .inputbox, #login-box .button2,
    #main-nav ul li a,
    #footer-social-links li a,
    .buttons div a,
    input.search,
    a.button1, input.button1, input.button3, a.button2, input.button2,
    .inputbox,
    button.button2,
    #tabs a,
    #cp-menu #navigation li > a,
    ul.profile-icons li a,
    .pagination span a,
    #topbar-inner .search-box .search-box-inner {
    	transition: all 0.1s linear 0s;
    	-webkit-transform: translateY(0px) !important;
    	-webkit-transform: translateZ(0px) !important;
    }

They're setting a transition on each and every animatable property. This is stupid on two fronts. For one, it wreaks havoc on built-in browser functions, such as the built-in field-resize grip in Firefox and Chrome. For another, it very adversely affects performance: it signals the browser that all properties, including those that would require relayout/reflow of the page could change and the browser will (try to) optimize for that, when in fact all that's being changed are the element opacity, text, background and border color, none of which affect layout.

Lets also not forget that there are a ton of Webkit browsers out there that don't yet support transition in its unprefixed form. (In this case probably a good thing, considering the out-of-date browsers are mostly mobile and would be most hard hit by aforementioned performance issue.)

And for god's sake; do we really need to group 18 additional selectors by the fact that they have a transition onboard? What's wrong with just having it on the individual components? (Which also happen to be duplicated like crazy btw. ...)

Whoever wrote this should be ashamed!

(Seriously; if I'd have to contend with this level of quality for my day-job; day in, day out, then I'd probably start seeking employment elsewhere..)
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I could upvote OP 100 times, I would. Now I can finally log in and post again from work! XD