Health pack poll

Options
MarvelDestiny
MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, I decided to create this poll because of the ever-present health pack conspiracy. I'm really interested to see how many of us actually buy health packs and in what quantities. Personally, I bought health packs once. I felt it was a waste of my resources even as I was buying them and, frankly, I will never buy them again.

Please feel free to post about your choice and/or comment on the poll. I look forward to hearing what prompts gamers to buy the health packs and if anybody ever has reservations or feels cheated when doing so.

Please let me know if you think the poll can be improved. Thanks!

MD
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I never bought one. When I deplete my health packs, I take it as a hint that the time for a break has come!
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Try to be strategic with health packs, rotating characters, balancing entry times for PvP/Pve with my job etc. But this does not work in heroics or with essentials so just sit it out and take the hit.

So have never bought one and most likely never will. Don't think they are really worth it. Far to expensive. Much better investing the HP in roster slots
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You'll probably think I'm crazy but I've never bought health packs. I rarely use them unless I'm playing both PvP NP pve back to back from each other. I have nearly a 100 health packs due to always using Daken n Wolv during my 2* days. I try not to rely on them. I'm not even sure of how the health pack regeneration works.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've never bought a health pack, nor would I, mostly on principle, but also partly because I personally find buying perishables of any kind in a video game distasteful.

That said, I've had at least 8-10 health packs for most of my time with MPQ, so in my 560+ days of playing, I've never gotten in on the whole "regeneration" thing. OIW, I've never gotten a "free" health pack (outside of rewards).

It's funny you'd bring this up right now. I just retreated in DDQ after one of my characters lost half their health in the first wave (bad board), and I'm now looking at 2 completely downed characters and 5+ hours of healing (as a result of retreating? Awesome.). At this point, I'm not even feeling interested in going back in 5 hours for a 3* I could really use, so the one part of MPQ I found reliably enjoyable is apparently the latest victim of MPQ's health "management" strategy...

P.S. Before someone points out the obvious ramifications of retreating/healing in PvP, I was playing DDQ, where the only loser would be me.

DBC
  • Unknown
    Options
    You'll probably think I'm crazy but I've never bought health packs. I rarely use them unless I'm playing both PvP NP pve back to back from each other. I have nearly a 100 health packs due to always using Daken n Wolv during my 2* days. I try not to rely on them. I'm not even sure of how the health pack regeneration works.

I thought they capped it off at 30 like the boost? Not that I have ever gotten that close. I think the closest to 30 I've ever gotten is maybe 18-19.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    I think I've bought less than 10 in my 464 days. When I think of buying health packs, MPQ becomes one of "those kinds of games," and I'd like to think I've enough sense not play that game. It hasn't been necessary to compete, at least in the top 50-100 range. The changes lately have really been stretching my healthpack.png thin though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have nearly a 100 health packs due to always using Daken n Wolv during my 2* days.

And I thought my surplus of 35 was impressive.

I also rarely use them, and the thought of paying for them seems silly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Only buy them for PVP when one or two more wins is the difference between finishing #6 or #5, which happens maybe once per month at the most.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    270 days in and I bougt Health packs exactly once (a freak occurence of a coveted cover completing my very first 3* and very bad games 20min before the bell) and don't intend to do it again anytime soon.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I buy no health packs, by the time I need them in PVP I can only use about 4 per hop as if I'm out any longer I'll lose points.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've purchased 3 health packs lifetime.
    Twice it was out of desperation to reach some kind of goal (going from 7th to top 5 for example) and the 3rd was to reach alliance minimims after failing initially on a late join.

My personal rule of thumb regarding health packs...
    If you're awake and healthpacks are not cooling down then you're doing it wrong
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buying kits is a lot more convenient than worrying about shield hopping, especially if you're trying to play both PvE and PvP. I'm willing to purchase 5-10 per PvP where I want the reward, though I haven't had to due to lucky boards the last few times.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Health packs should either be thrown away or we should be given much more of them - I shy away from PVE and PVP when my health packs are low because if I run out of health packs, my big guns will be SOL for literal hours.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've only bough health packs once as part of a desperate last ditch effort to secure placement in an event. It paid off, but I still felt dirty for having done so.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've never bought a health pack, nor would I, mostly on principle, but also partly because I personally find buying perishables of any kind in a video game distasteful.

That said, I've had at least 8-10 health packs for most of my time with MPQ, so in my 560+ days of playing, I've never gotten in on the whole "regeneration" thing. OIW, I've never gotten a "free" health pack (outside of rewards).

It's funny you'd bring this up right now. I just retreated in DDQ after one of my characters lost half their health in the first wave (bad board), and I'm now looking at 2 completely downed characters and 5+ hours of healing (as a result of retreating? Awesome.). At this point, I'm not even feeling interested in going back in 5 hours for a 3* I could really use, so the one part of MPQ I found reliably enjoyable is apparently the latest victim of MPQ's health "management" strategy...

P.S. Before someone points out the obvious ramifications of retreating/healing in PvP, I was playing DDQ, where the only loser would be me.

DBC

i've always just gone on and tried to fight it out anyway, except in a couple of exceptional cases like a shield-hop where a bad cascade takes out my main damage dealer at the start. Most of the time I can still barely scrape out a win, and even if I don't, my characters would be out of commission anyway. Plus it's so satisfying to be like, "Take that, you tinykitty cheating ai! I win!"
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I bought one health pack once in ~200 days of play. It was the difference between getting to 800 in PvP and finishing my 3 star.pngicon_thor.png , so no regrets, but as a general rule I won't purchase them.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Seems like a poll like this ran not that long ago, with the same basic results. I've never once bought a heath pack, or boosts of the variety that cost HP (I do buy iso boosts pretty frequently though). I came in third in The Simulator, and the limiting factor that kept me from top two wasn't Health Packs, it was the fact that it was a beautiful Memorial Day weekend and I decided I wanted to get daydrunk more than I wanted a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png cover that will never have a meaningful benefit to me.

There are moments when trying to be competitive in both PvP and PvE means there can be a tight crunch in available playable characters, especially lately when it's the same characters boosted. But the pricing for health packs is silly. The conspiracy theories about health pack sales always just make me shake my head.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    stowaway wrote:
    The conspiracy theories about health pack sales always just make me shake my head.

+1.

Thanks to the OP for starting this poll. It shows that health pack sales are largely exaggerated in the forum, even with the small sample size.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks Atomzed. I had heard the health pack conspiracy one too many times and was curious how a poll would shake out. This sample size is pretty small but it looks like health packs are not a huge profit maker for D3 and I doubt any change in the game is driven by a desire to sell more; most of us just simply aren't interested in wasting money on them.

I hope more people vote so the cross section of players increases but I'm confident we already have our answer.

Thanks all!
  • Unknown
    Options
    an important thing to remember is that the whales fund F2P games.

And you have to consider, just because 500-something forumites say they don't buy health packs(assuming they're telling the truth) Joe Schmoe and Jill Average who just want another chance to fight Ultron before they put the kids to bed or something don't mind putting down $5 for health packs.

I've spent money on worse things than a F2P phone games, I'll tell you that much...