I'm back in... ish.

So I just started playing MPQ again after a big break. The last time I was playing regularly was during the Blade introductory event. I got so frustrated with the way the game was going at that time that I hung it up. I've been playing for the last week or so, and here's my impressions:

First, the Deadpool daily quests are awesome, awesome, awesome. It's so great that I can log in once a day and get a three star cover, a bunch of tokens and a load of Iso just based on skill and strategy. That's perfect. It's entertaining, it's fun, it provides a clear progression path. Brilliant addition to the game.

The random weekly buff lists are great. Seriously. I know there's some noise to the contrary out there, but they really do break up the monotony of Patch - Daken or Hood - Sentry teams that pvp used to be.

In the same vein, the nerfs to Hood and Sentry really helped to stop that nightmare. Again, that's a good thing that some people probably don't see as such. Put it this way: The best teams used to be so set in stone that 90% of the characters were completely irrelevant. Now it looks like only 80% of the character are completely irrelevant. So I guess that's... progress?

Picking end times! Awesome! Perfect!

...and pretty much everything else about the game is still ugly, ugly, ugly.

I participated heavily in two pvp events and hit the same old "magical" wall of unskippable max level teams that they were using to cheese transitioning players out of progression through pvp when I left. I wish they'd just tell me what my max point total was before I hit that wall so I could not waste three days striving for a two star.

PVE is still garbage. I've heard that things are "better" in the node farming timing - something - something. Look, honestly I never understood why they call a format where you grind nodes for points and compare points to other players "PVE". It's clearly pvp, but whatever, it's still boring, time-wasting and the rewards are not worth the effort. PVE was never my favorite and I'm don't see a lot of improvement.

The worst though, is the fact that they spent all the time since I stopped playing creating new characters and not lowering the cost of character slots. WOW. There was post after post after post back when I stopped playing making the same point: There's too many characters, which makes the transition from two to three stars more difficult, and is just a thinly veiled scheme to sell roster slots. Why, after all that noise that was made FIFTEEN character releases ago, was that point not addressed?

Yeah, no thanks. I'm not going to start playing this game again. It's still a wallet killer and I'm kind of insulted A) that they thought they could just keep pumping out characters and charging people to keep them and B) I'm insulted that it seems to have worked. The game is still here. Somehow.

Well maybe they know something I don't...

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sure if you'll be back soon to read this but I'm gunna respond anyways.

Firstly, thanks a ton for taking the time to type all this out, and doing so in a level headed manner. It really means a lot to the few peace keepers around here. If you start a conversation out with the right state of mind, they tend to be more likely to stay that away and that's better for all of us. So seriously. Thank you.

I definitely agree with you on the positives! Dailies were a long time coming, time slices are a blessing, and yeah, weekly boosted characters is probably my favorite new element to MPQ (despite is better a pretty close race on love vs hate on the forums). There's been a lot more character changes than The Hood and Sentry (some good and some a bit too 'good') - if you feel like it you should check out the Loki and Hawkeye changes - those are probably my favorites (with 2* Magneto being a close third).

Also, unfortunately, I pretty much agree with your negatives as well.

PvE has gotten a lot less slog-ish lately, since they switched the refresh timers over to eight hours, especially in conjunction with time slices. They've been working on synchronizing eight hours refreshes, time slices, and the sometimes weird sub times. Getting there. They've also been working on condensing some of the more labor intensive events (see the current running of Sim, which has one sub).

PvP has gotten slightly better, but yeah, you're right. It's the same old "wall" meta.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's a work in progress, so come back and check it out again in a month or two. Hopefully things will be a lot awesomer.

Another thing you should check out, if you want, is the Ultron event that was just ran. It ran with some issues, for sure, but the event was honestly a blast and a great break from the monotone PvP/PvE structures.
  • Agree with many of these points, as well.
    So much of the hate would be reduced if roster slots were more affordable.

And you may not have noticed that devs have also brought in the NEED for a 2* roster back into PvE. So not only are players paying huge amounts for a new roster slot (mine is currently 750hp), devs also want us buying these for the 2* characters we booted out months ago as they were useless. So now you buy a roster slot for a 2* and try and get through PvE with effectively inly two heroes against three enemies, as a level one Magneto is not much good against level 145 goons, is it?

I am only buying roster slots as I had an itunes gift card used for hp, so I have a few thousand hp left. I will not be buying any more with real money unless the cost is reduced to a fair amount, so when that runs out, no more new characters. Which means PvE is lost to me and I cannot progress in PvP using level 70 characters against the 270/270/166 wall. The game will be deleted at this point.

So, yes, there have been some great changes, but these are 'balanced' ( devs favourite term for cash grabbing) against some appalling features and...cash grabbing. It is just so...obvious.