What causes app to close?

This might be a naive question about smartphone use, so apologies if this is the case.

I find there's about a 50/50 shot if I'm playing MPQ and need to switch to another app for some reason (check something online, incoming text or phone call, etc.) that when I switch back to MPQ it takes me back to the loading screen. Obviously, this is pretty frustrating if I was in the middle of a fight at that time, as it auto-loses and damages my characters.

Is this something I control? Or at least know what triggers it? Is it the phone running out of memory and so force closes things? If it's relevant, I'm running it on a Samsung Galaxy 5.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's none of what you listed.
    What it is, is the developers not knowing how to properly listen for and respond to signals the mobile OS sends before it wants to kill the app to conserve resources. You're supposed to quickly suspend the state of the app for later resuming at that point.
  • I've only noticed this same problem since the Lollipop update.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    My iphone does that too. Once I was in round 4 of the ddq and my wife called, I sent her to voicemail.
  • bahukma wrote:
    I've only noticed this same problem since the Lollipop update.

And you just added another reason that I will not be updating to Lollipop. LOL. I have been avoiding it like the plague as it is. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    edited May 2015
    As of today's update, mine will close itself out EVEN IF I JUST pull up me "open apps menu" Wi-Fi doesn't even minimize the game.

*sigh

EDIT : Wi-Fi = which
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    And you just added another reason that I will not be updating to Lollipop. LOL. I have been avoiding it like the plague as it is. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    You really should update to Lollipop if you have the option.

Unless ofcourse you consciously want to be stuck with a web browser that Google will no longer be servicing with any kind of update, including critical security updates.

(You really shouldn't be using any type or brand of Android phone that doesn't have an upgrade path to Lollipop or above. Whoever sold or is selling you the phone and is denying you that upgrade quite obviously also does not give a toss about their customers' security...)
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    TLCstormz wrote:
    As of today's update, mine will close itself out EVEN IF I JUST pull up me "open apps menu" Wi-Fi doesn't even minimize the game.

*sigh

Are you certain this isn't a device limitation? I play on my Galaxy S5 when I'm not at home and I have no issues minimizing MPQ, changing from WiFi to 4G to 3G, answering calls or any normal device task. I'm not saying the game doesn't crash - it crashes randomly on this device... but it doesn't die when I change applications.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    "Wi-Fi" was a silly auto correction for "which".

I have an S6 with Lollipop, and yes, it crashes at least every 3 days, from various things. It frequently CLOSES when minimizing it, hitting the Home button with it open, or even bringing up that "apps in use" menu thingy on the bottom left hand corner of the phone. Not every single time, just at random times.

It also closes itself out randomly as soon as the tiles are done falling onto the screen at the start of the match, without even touching the phone. lol
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    "Wi-Fi" was a silly auto correction for "which".

I have an S6 with Lollipop, and yes, it crashes at least every 3 days, from various things. It frequently CLOSES when minimizing it, hitting the Home button with it open, or even bringing up that "apps in use" menu thingy on the bottom left hand corner of the phone. Not every single time, just at random times.

It also closes itself out randomly as soon as the tiles are done falling onto the screen at the start of the match, without even touching the phone. lol

using a Zmax, and the only issues i get are when doing PVP for over an hour, it lags so bad i can't even get a reward after a win.. have to restart the phone and wait a bit.