Shields are letting attacks through.

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
This happened in the Beast event originally and I didn't think to take a screenshot, stupidly. I shielded with less than 3 hours to go ranked 15th, came back later and found I'd been hit for 27 points. I was annoyed, but figured I'd still done enough. I ended up 27th and missed out on a Doctor Octopus cover.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... C160FEEF4/

As you can see, those 27 points would have got me into top 25. I've created a ticket for this, so I'll see what happens (if anything) from that.

I figured that was pretty much a one off glitch or something, but no it's just happened again.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 513A576D0/

Now...I cannoy understand this. First time in the Beast PvP, it was a single 27 point loss and nothing more. I chalked it down to someone starting a fight before I shielded and finishing after so they gained points still (shoulda still taken 0 from me, I feel, but whatevs).

But here I've clearly shielded since two attacks lost me nothing...and yet one slipped by and cost me points.

For this to happen twice in the same season is baffling to me. It happened to someone in my alliance, too.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have only ever seen that when i was unable to get back to the game after my shield had expired. It showed the shielded fights, then the un-shielded ones as well.

Did you mis-time your shield expiring?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    I only ever use a shield at the very end of PvP. So when there's less than 3 hours left, I'll make my final push, get as far as possible, then shield.

So with less than 3 hours to go and a 3 hour shield up there's no way anyone managed to sneak through a shield gap since there wasn't one =/
  • this happened twice during the strike back event. I didn't take a screen shot but I know my defensive loss was listed at the bottom of the list (three listed total, the 1st two said no damage because of shield), not like yours which is at the top.

I didn't put in a ticket but will see if this happens again...
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw this happen in the first two PvPs of the season. I got notification of a hit very late after shielding - about 5 minutes after. The second time it happened I had been hit 3 times by the same person, got the notifications for the first two hits before I shielded, then five minutes later, got the notification of the last hit.

I sent in a ticket and gave them some more information but haven't heard anything back yet. It seems like there might be some weirdness with server syncing happening.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    mags1587 wrote:
    I saw this happen in the first two PvPs of the season. I got notification of a hit very late after shielding - about 5 minutes after. The second time it happened I had been hit 3 times by the same person, got the notifications for the first two hits before I shielded, then five minutes later, got the notification of the last hit.

I sent in a ticket and gave them some more information but haven't heard anything back yet. It seems like there might be some weirdness with server syncing happening.

I had a reply asking for some screenshots (I'm guessing they don't like the Steam links) so I sent them as attachments.
    We'll see how that goes.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Just happened again after shielding in the Vision PvP.

Didn't bother screenshotting because, again, I didn't lose enough points to lose a position. Lost 20 points though.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Saw this for the first time myself, so i take back my initial statement from earlier in the thread, as i had only been shielded for an hour or so.

Something i did notice though...
    The points i lost, were from a retaliation, maybe they started fighting me prior to me shielding, and ended after i had shielded.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    The only times I've seen this happen it was shortly after I shielded, making me think it was someone who was already in the middle of a battle with me when I shielded. It could also be if someone started a battle before you shielded and had to put the game away for one reason or another. You then shield and then one hour later your opponent is able to get back in and finish the match.

I'm unsure if this is correct but that was always what I assumed was happening the few time I had points come through after I shielded.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    99% of the time it's server lag. Loss occurred before you shielded (probably during your last match), but the pop up didn't hit until after you shielded.

It's annoying as anything, but reporting in this game is rarely instantaneous.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    I dunno. I've never seen this happen before not and it's happened 3 times in 4 PvPs. That seems too frequent to be something that's existed as part of the code.

I do agree with the hypothesis that it's someone starting to attack you before you shield and finishing after you shielded. But it might be worked out differently server side or something, since as long as shields have been around I've never seen this problem.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Welp, got an official response.
    Greetings D3 Go! Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

If you have shielded and you receive attack prompts with point loss within the first few minutes, then the issue you are experiencing is due to client-server latency.

In these cases, this is what happens:

1.You are attacked by another player. This player completes their fight, defeating you.
    2. You purchase a shield.
    3. The server is notified you purchased the shield immediately, but the other player's fight is already completed and you have lost points.
    4. The server informs you you have lost points.

From your perspective, it looks like you were attacked with the shield up. In reality, you were attacked beforehand and had already lost those points by the time you put up the shield. It may seem a bit confusing, but it is normal game play for multiple matches to simultaneously occur and resolve while you are actively battling a player.

Please note that the game does not update in real time, therefore notifications are staggered until the server updates. To force a server update you need only to force close and restart the app outside of a battle.

It is important that you take care to remember the 'outside of battle' part as force closing during a battle will activate the game's anti-cheat provision which will force a retreat for your team. This, of course, incurs the consequences of a retreat: lost boosts, team damage, etc.

Many questions can be answered by visiting our helpful Marvel Puzzle Quest FAQ at: http://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free in contacting us again.

Best Regards,
    D3 Go! Customer Support Team (EDG)

So yeah, I didn't shield fast enough after finishing a fight and lost the reward because of it.
    Not happy but...whatever, can't be bothered to argue it any more. At least it was only Doc Oc, I guess.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    So yeah, I didn't shield fast enough after finishing a fight and lost the reward because of it.

So, I've had it happen a few times exactly as CS describe. I know this, because I was obsessively checking my leaderboard score, and saw it drop (or rather, not jump as much after a battle as it should have). I shielded, and the loss notification didn't come for 15 mins or more (sometimes even later, if I left and came back). However, the points were already lost before the shield, just the notification came much (much) later. Frustrating, but at least I knew what was happening.