Forum Server Maintenance (05/11/15)

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Greetings everyone,

We've got forum server maintenance planned for tomorrow morning, Monday, May 11, 2015. Our planned maintenance time is between 6-10 AM PST.

During those hours the forums may be inaccessible or you may experience slower than normal server performance. Thanks very much in advance for your understanding while we work on improving the functionality of the forums!

Comments

• avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Will the forums be revamped again when they come back online? Please say no? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Does maintenance mean moving to a new site again?
  • Please don't move us to the new site. It was practically unreadable on my mobile last time.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Forum Server Maintenance" is disingenuous at best.

From the aborted attempt last week it's a complete rewrite, replacing something clean and proven with something full of space-eating graphics that is unreadable on mobile devices. With a removal of the rating system as a side-effect.

I don't think I'll be taking my last opportunity to rate a post to vote the OP up.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seriously, why can't you just say "we're taking the forums offline for a bit to replace the software with something more modern" (i.e. something from this decade)? Not all of your plans need to be obfuscated!

(Also, the current software is godawful on mobile too, so if you rolled out an upgrade that fixed that rather than making it worse, that'd be just spiffy)
  • DrStrange-616
    Thank you for removing the giant graphic header. It's much more usable now. Although I don't think maintenance means what you think it means. icon_e_wink.gif

Would it be possible to add breadcrumb navigation to the bottom of the page?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we get the
    Board Index> Marvel Puzzle Quest> General
    Links at the bottom of the page? It's not convenient having to scroll to the top of the page to get back to the forum you were in
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just a few points to be made:
    • Generally moving your site to a new host and making major changes to it (integrating it with you main site) qualifies as maintenance.
    • Forum wasn't upgraded/changed to a new service, it was just skinned with a new theme. It's still phpBB.
    • You can get the old theme back by clickingon the link at the bottom of the page called, wait for it, "Old Theme".
    • I don't know if it's just me, but the forums seem way more responsive so thanks for that.
  • DrStrange-616
    Old theme it is.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Hey, new forum!
  • V1rusHunter
    V1rusHunter Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    This skin seems really hard to read via a mobile device. I can't tell what I've read and haven't read yet. Plus, I have to scroll a lot more while in this form factor.
  • I don't know about others, but I strongly dislike the new look of the forums. The previous forums were practical. The new are ... pretty (I guess), but also extremely annoying. Everything is much bigger. What is the point of the huge empty space between topics? And what is the deal with the huge strip on the top part of the page with the huge logo? This is a perfect example of web design failing miserably.
    It's like playing a bad port of a console game on PC with the huge buttons and kiddy look. The change instantly reminded me the time I tried for the first time Windows 8. I switched back to Windows 7 the next day and I'm staying with them until they stop supporting them.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please continue the discussion of the new forums in the official thread at viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=29425
This discussion has been closed.