going against 5 4*s all at 270

in my doc oc event (eight is enough) the person rank 1 has five toons at lvl 270, i cant get anywhere near that, can someone plz explain why he is in my bracket with me? sorry im new here and i dont have time to search forums atm. thanks for any answers

Comments

• Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    NOID4U wrote:
    in my doc oc event (eight is enough) the person rank 1 has five toons at lvl 270, i cant get anywhere near that, can someone plz explain why he is in my bracket with me? sorry im new here and i dont have time to search forums atm. thanks for any answers

Because life isn't fair.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think their MMR never goes beyond a 3* tier. If people have (five?) a few 166's, or however it works, they are considered equal to the biggest whales out there.

It may have been developed when there were only two 4*'s available, and never changed. People have suggested multiple types of PVP's to enter: one with no 3*'s, one with no 4*'s, and one with anyone - each having better rewards compared to the easier brackets. Wouldn't that be nice.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because there's no "super-vet" bracket where it's only the best of the best - if you're doing well enough to get out of the newbie bracket where 300-400 points is enough to place in the top 5, you get thrown in with the sharks.
  • thx for replys and so fast too, cept for noob who needs to go away.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    I agree with you all. I think the bracket leveling needs to be addressed. If you are barely into 2* land and get thrown in with the whales/vets then you only have a limited chance of anything.
  • You don't have to actually play against that guy's team to win the ladder, just score more points than he does.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    You graduated to the big leagues and have to deal with the same climbers as most of the community here. Good luck.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    I think their MMR never goes beyond a 3* tier. If people have (five?) a few 166's, or however it works, they are considered equal to the biggest whales out there.

It may have been developed when there were only two 4*'s available, and never changed. People have suggested multiple types of PVP's to enter: one with no 3*'s, one with no 4*'s, and one with anyone - each having better rewards compared to the easier brackets. Wouldn't that be nice.

Similar to how Marvel Contest of Champions has star.png only brackets, star.pngstar.png only brackets, etc etc!
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    To be fair all 4*s are not true 4*s.

The only ones considered true 4*s at the moment are icon_professorx.png and icon_ironman.png HB

iffy 4*s are icon_nickfury.png , icon_thor.png and icon_wolverine.png XF

icon_devildino.png is on the fence, he's got the hp but not the abilities.

icon_invisiblewoman.png is a top tier 3* at best now

icon_elektra.pngicon_kingpin.png and icon_starlord.png are poo
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    NOID4U wrote:

You arent really competing against them. You will NEVER pull them in one of your nodes for a match since they have a "better" roster. What matters is strictly the points you acquire, and you gain those by fighting rosters roughly equal to yours. That player is facing other rosters with 5x 4* chars (or whatever is considered equivalent) while you are fighting rosters with 2*s (I think thats where youre at). That is MMR.

Sadly though, you are after the same rewards which will be fairly equally useless to the two of you.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    NOID4U wrote:
    thx for replys and so fast too, cept for noob who needs to go away.

I have to admit, I kinda liked Noob's answer as it's both direct and it's honest. I can also see how that doesn't really satisfy your desire for an answer so I'm going to pretty much say the same thing using inspiring words and a chewy candy center.

If you are new to the game and/or you don't have a well-developed roster, then you are not supposed to be able to win a bracket. Winning a bracket isn't a "participant" reward, it's about being the best. That is what you are working towards. You should be taking down those names as you look up at the top of the tables so months from now you can smirk with satisfaction as you look down at them sitting in that #2 position behind you. The long term satisfaction in MPQ is watching your final scores grow as you build and strengthen your roster. Soon you're getting top 50 finishes, then top 25, then top 10 as you climb up that mountain towards the summit. Then when you finally get that heralded #1 finish, you can say "Hell Ya!!!" and take pride in what you've achieved.

So keep looking at those top 5 ranked players at the end of each event and take note of them. That's where you're going to be 3-12 months from now. Point to them and say "Your **** is mine!!!" And when that day arrives and you have 'ol RWTD_Burn in your bracket, queued up in the middle of an unshielded hop to 1000+, and ready to be destroyed by your newly maxed 4* roster..... please remember there is a Skip button.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    So keep looking at those top 5 ranked players at the end of each event and take note of them. That's where you're going to be 3-12 months from now

I'm assuming this is a typo?

surely years? lol
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    And when that day arrives and you have 'ol RWTD_Burn in your bracket, queued up in the middle of an unshielded hop to 1000+, and ready to be destroyed by your newly maxed 4* roster..... please remember there is a Skip button.

The skip button is how you double tap him after hitting him the first time. icon_twisted.gif
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    And when that day arrives and you have 'ol RWTD_Burn in your bracket, queued up in the middle of an unshielded hop to 1000+, and ready to be destroyed by your newly maxed 4* roster..... please remember there is a Skip button.

The skip button is how you double tap him after hitting him the first time. icon_twisted.gif

Doh!!!!
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    Yes, life really isn't fair and I don't like the "everyone who participates gets a trophy attitude". When I call for a tiered system, I don't mean the prizes are equal. I'm looking for the prizes to be more relevant to the players involved. If you are deep in your 3* to 4* transition then a two star isn't going to do much for you at all. If you are in your 2* to 3* transition then a 2* may help but that 3* is the main goal. The way I see it, everyone should have a goal of getting to those higher levels. Even if the system wasn't broken up, then maybe offer tokens instead of the actual 2*. A heroic token guarantees one of them anyway. Get the appetite going to get those guaranteed high level/new covers. I think a lot of people are upset that they can't just jump into the PVP event at the last minute and come out on top like they used to. The whole game is designed around playing like a mad person even though the developers say it is casual.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    So keep looking at those top 5 ranked players at the end of each event and take note of them. That's where you're going to be 3-12 months from now.

That's assuming newcomers are willing to stick around that long. D3 will do something in the next few months that will cause players to rage quit. You can count on it. icon_twisted.gif