R75 is the best thing to happen to PvP since the Sentry Nerf

Wait, what? Positivity from BPC? Someone call the news! No, seriously, guys. R75 is awesome. There are a couple of reasons for this. For starters, the rotation thing. That's not new, but bringing it back is absolutely a step in the right direction, because it shakes up what goes as the "optimal team". LThor/XForce, XForce/Hood, all of them end up being subpar in comparison to a couple of strong boosted characters. But that's not the big thing that matters. No, what matters is that the "cheap" phase of leveling characters post-R75 extends to where, when boosted, they can hold up with your maxed-out 3*s.

Devs, kudos to you for that brainstorm, because that's awesome.

All of a sudden, I have a good reason to dump levels into characters who were otherwise kinda subpar. I can get the new featured hero up to where they're a legitimate threat without feeling cheated that I spent good ISO on, say, Beast. It's dirt-cheap to field a team of 166s, because it's like 10k iso to get one of the myriad of max-covered 3*s you have up to level 110, where they're boosted to "actually playable". I feel like there are so many more viable options in PvP, and that the extra character isn't just a useless loaner, that my covers are going to waste. This was a great decision on a number of levels and it works together to make PvP the best it's been since you got rid of Deserts. icon_lol.gif Good ****, guys.

Comments

• I guess I see what you mean. I am still not dumping iso into people like Beast though. Cheap levelling or not, he's still rubbish so why use any iso at all when there are like a billion other characters?

I have no issue that it is now in there, fair play to the developers for doing that. I'm still using iso on characters I will regularly use though, not dumping some into a character for one event and then not used for months. Maybe that helps me though, maybe a bunch of people don't max characters now, but just level a whole group to mid-tier, then I can stomp all over them.

So, thinking about it, yes, this is the best thing ever icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    I guess I see what you mean. I am still not dumping iso into people like Beast though. Cheap levelling or not, he's still rubbish so why use any iso at all when there are like a billion other characters?

I have no issue that it is now in there, fair play to the developers for doing that. I'm still using iso on characters I will regularly use though, not dumping some into a character for one event and then not used for months. Maybe that helps me though, maybe a bunch of people don't max characters now, but just level a whole group to mid-tier, then I can stomp all over them.

So, thinking about it, yes, this is the best thing ever icon_e_biggrin.gif

I leveled him, because I wanted an easier road to the 1000 pt progression. Also found out that for me, level 120 is the sweet spot for the doc ocks and beasts of the game - cost goes up quite a bit from there. I had iso saved waiting for the update, and was able to get all of my 3*s to at least that level with tons to spare for when I get enough covers on a good 4* to bring them into the rotation.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I see what you mean. I am still not dumping iso into people like Beast though. Cheap levelling or not, he's still rubbish so why use any iso at all when there are like a billion other characters?

I dumped 18k to Beast to bring him up to 120 (think he was at 63 before that). Level 210 (boosted) Beast has a pretty vicious and spammable blue now, that works well with Kamala's passive, tacks on 213x3 defense/offense, depending how the chips fall. And his green hits decently hard (2k+ AoE) once the blue is cast. His yellow is still an after thought for me, but he's considerably more useful now, at least while he's featured.

And to bring back to topic, no way in heck would I have dumped iso in him at the old cost. Same should be true of Doc Ock, who will get brought to 120 when his PvP hits tomorrow.

I'll still save the big iso costs for the characters that I actually use, but cheaply managing every featured 3* thanks to R75 is a big boon to the game.
  • But it is for one event, that's my point. Why would I spend 18k on one pvp event, for one character that I won't even contemplate using for however many months it is until he is in PVP again?

Maybe people just have way more iso than me or something. 18k to get someone from rubbish to serviceable for a single event doesn't really strike me as a good use of iso if you are working to a budget.
  • You know what, forget it. people are happy about it and can use iso however they want. Not worth dissecting really.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    But it is for one event, that's my point. Why would I spend 18k on one pvp event, for one character that I won't even contemplate using for however many months it is until he is in PVP again?

Maybe people just have way more iso than me or something. 18k to get someone from rubbish to serviceable for a single event doesn't really strike me as a good use of iso if you are working to a budget.

Then only spend 10k iso, you can easily earn that playing the PVP, it would end a draw, and you have a higher level char out of it.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    But it is for one event, that's my point. Why would I spend 18k on one pvp event, for one character that I won't even contemplate using for however many months it is until he is in PVP again?

Granted, it helps that I have a deep(ish) roster already so there's no true urgency to bring other characters up to speed. That said, 22.8k to bring a 3* from 40 to 120 is about 1.5 days worth of play for me. I'll recoup it quite easily.

And it's not a single event persay. This isn't the last time he'll be featured, and with this new PvE/PvP boost system, I'm sure I can find use for him in PvE when he's got a boost.
  • What cheaper iso means is that most people have a feature cover over 100, which means there's more chance of being hit during a match and have to use health packs for the next one. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
  • But it is for one event, that's my point. Why would I spend 18k on one pvp event, for one character that I won't even contemplate using for however many months it is until he is in PVP again?

Nope. It isn't a single event...unless itys Bag Man. Beast for instance is actually a boosted character in a bunch of PvE events and with the new system, I'm sure the lesser popular characters will get boost WAY more frequently. will this change your defense team no, but it might change your climbing team, it may adjust PvE. Boosted versions of **** characters often still have a strong utilitarian use in PvE or PVP if you build around them, which is now possible. As well, its not as if you are dumping ISO into these guys freqauently or that ISO is hard to come by. Get them to a modest level once and they stay there. The 'gains' on your power characters aren't substantial per level (namely 4* since they ar3 the real ISO ****), so what becomes one level for XF could be like 4-5 for Beast...and is a one time thing. YES you should get your power characters to a certain level first, but realistically you most likely use like 5 characters that are already maxed anyways.
    - Unreall
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarCr wrote:
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    good line. that one made me chuckle.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    With 5 Boosted 3*'s each week (and currently close to 40 3*'s) every character will be boosted about every 2 months. And having a boosted Beast becomes a big-time boon during his week in the sun. Even if it is just to use him in PvE so that you can save a better boosted character to use in PvP.

Is it better to put 20K ISO into Beast to go from useless to useful-when-boosted or put it into a top level 3* to go from 135 to 145? Frankly once you start maxing out several 3*'s the 135 to 145 difference doesn't help you much (other than getting them closer to 166 and for when they are boosted).

In my opinion, if you have no 166's, you need to spend your ISO to get some. If you have a bunch of them, getting more characters into a usuable-when-boosted range is a very worthwhile investment.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I think it depends partially on how much mpq you actually play. When R75 went live, my 140,000 iso went down to 5,000. yikes. but after half week of play (lightning round, ddq, etc.) I'm back up to 35,000. So yeah, spending iso on my roster to bring them up to 120 is certainly worthwhile.