Forum Server Maintenance (05/07/15)

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello everyone,

A heads-up that we've got some forum server maintenance planned for tomorrow morning, May 07, 2015. Ideally, we won't experience much forum downtime, but the possibility does exist.
Our planned maintenance time is between 6-10 AM PST. During that time frame you may experience server outages or slower than normal server performance.

Thanks very much in advance for your understanding while we work on improving the functionality of the forums.

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cool. Hopefully you'll be fixing the bugs that prevent devs from reading and commenting on issues raised.

Yeah, I know it's a cheap shot, but it's warranted, at least a little.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Cool. Hopefully you'll be fixing the bugs that prevent devs from reading and commenting on issues raised.

Yeah, I know it's a cheap shot, but it's warranted, at least a little.
    Positively savage.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank heavens i am off tomorrow, no forum means i might have had to do some work!
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I take it the upgrade was too laggy and you had to revert to the original forum? I couldn't log in for most of today.
  • So, is that a no go on the new website for now? New website seemed laggy as anything. A few of my posts eaten icon_e_sad.gif

It's funny looking at the bottom and seeing all the MPQ forum addicts. Gotta get my fix for the day.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    daibar wrote:
    So, is that a no go on the new website for now? New website seemed laggy as anything. A few of my posts eaten icon_e_sad.gif

I had some eaten too, but mostly they were about how there was absolutely no content "above the fold" and other poor use of vertical space in the new design. ...

This PHBB style may be old, but at least it doesn't give my scroll finger repetitive stress injury.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    notamutant wrote:
    I take it the upgrade was too laggy and you had to revert to the original forum? I couldn't log in for most of today.

Hi, yes, that's pretty much the case. The slowness of the servers was certainly unintended and was taking too long to fix. We've reverted to the current version while we sort things out. Apologies for any new posts you may have lost access to. I'm unsure if we'll be able to get any of those back yet. I'll update before we try again.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was the loss of the post rating system intentional?
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    notamutant wrote:

Hi, yes, that's pretty much the case. The slowness of the servers was certainly unintended and was taking too long to fix. We've reverted to the current version while we sort things out. Apologies for any new posts you may have lost access to. I'm unsure if we'll be able to get any of those back yet. I'll update before we try again.

Thankyou! The new one was horrendous on my tiny phone screen. Couldn't see much of anything like who posted last in a thread, etc.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    If you do try again ... here was a screen of some quick "fixes" for the previous vertical layout.
    http://imgur.com/gZ9n3jV

In addition to the obvious changes in the title bar size, disappearing the big image, and moving the sub-nav (user links) bar up flush with the nav bar, I also trimmed the padding in the top, all h1 & h2, and perhaps most importantly cut the padding from 20px to 10px for each thread listing. (ul.topiclist li.row dl)

Note that I also removed two of the three (!) search boxes ... maybe one per page is enough?

Other UX/UI complaints would be to removed the fixed elements on the bottom right ("Help" and "Subscribe"). They disappear on narrower widths anyway (responsive design for the win!), and already exist in the footer, so just drop them.

I liked the idea, and the general look, but man was that CSS a mess.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    wow... I thought I was back on dialup...
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    notamutant wrote:

Hi, when you do upgrade to the new servers / sit, please PLEASE include a legacy view in display options that has this old layout.

Also:
    * Try to keep banners limited to the size of the current blue D3Publisher Forums banner, and if necessary, just add a separate mobile/desktop view option toggle.
    * I found the spacing of posts very bad with far too much space surrounding the posts, making it hard to read anything.
    * Partly related to the spacing issue, the number of threads listed on the main page of each subform was very few. Try to keep it the same in number as current.
    * I posted this on the new forum in this topic, but it looks like my post might've been eaten.

Cheers, and hope this feedback is useful!
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Well, that maintenance got out of hand quickly.... I think Brick killed a guy with a trident.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Maybe it just wasn't loading properly, but what I saw was so horrible, it cannot be unseen.