I'll echo this from the past..

Goons need to only generate "goon" AP, there is no need to continue having them feed hyper-leveled character s who can also make matches. While we are constantly getting characters "nerfed" due to perception of being too OP, over-scaled enemies that can use powers every turn or every other turn are way too OP and really should just go the way of mighty Xforce.

Comments

• The easier thing to do would probably be to address the combinations that they use, and make sure the color feed isn't too strong. But your idea would work too. I just think it would take extra programming and a patch...
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Thamanator wrote:
    The easier thing to do would probably be to address the combinations that they use, and make sure the color feed isn't too strong. But your idea would work too. I just think it would take extra programming and a patch...

While having them create "goon only" AP eliminates them from fueling hyper leveled 2*s, and is probably the more fool proof "fix," it also prevents AP theft.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suggested a while back that they should just generate TU AP since they are effectively just assists anyway. The downside is that goon only nodes will be more difficult as they will need to revamp the goon AI to allow them to try and each cast 1 ability per turn (currently they lock each other out of colors depending on choices, I believe Phantron is the one with a write up of how it works).

Anyway, this is considered a feature. DP vs, EotS and R&G are the newest PvEs and they all feature encounters were goons are generating AP to feed the featured character. These matches are specifically designed to do this. Devs think its fun.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the risk of being hated... i think it is fine, they purposely put it like that to make the boards difficult. If every board and every prize was attainable on the first try by everyone... people would complain things were too easy.

Yes, i got my head handed to me by the adamantium slashes etc.. but eventually i beat the boards. With the current PVE, for completing the story-line each sub, you get an event token.. it should be hard.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    dkffiv wrote:
    These matches are specifically designed to do this. Devs think its fun.

It ratchets up the challenge and I think it is fun, at certain goon levels.

Below its kind of trivial (I read of one person taking 4x Ad Slash and not losing anyone) or above its just plain unfair (Jugg getting fed green/red at lvl 395 just sounds AWESOME). Im not sure its possible to tune the encounters correctly for everyone given community/individual scaling.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    None of this feeding or separate goon AP. How about the goons don't get their automatic AP at all! As long as they are paired with an enemy that can gather it's own AP then the AP feeding generation should be turned off. When the board moving enemy dies, then the AP feeding is turned on for the goons. We have to gather our own AP for each character's ability, the CPU should too!
  • Goons don't need AP. Just make all their abilities cost 0 and turn off the AP flood. Some (most) goons are limited to 1 ability a turn anyway, so instead of the CDs starting on turn 3 they start on turn 1. Maybe up the length of certain abilities, but for god sake, stop the goon fed villain thing.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Or goons can only generate a percentage of what's on the board.
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    Malcrof wrote:
    At the risk of being hated... i think it is fine, they purposely put it like that to make the boards difficult. If every board and every prize was attainable on the first try by everyone... people would complain things were too easy.

Yes, i got my head handed to me by the adamantium slashes etc.. but eventually i beat the boards. With the current PVE, for completing the story-line each sub, you get an event token.. it should be hard.

As an occasional, final-boss-ish challenge I agree,

But the mechanic is VASTLY overused in Enemy of the State, and some other PVEs. "Unavoidable regular Adamantium Slash to the face" is not a particularly enjoyable node to replay in varying forms over and over. Moreover, it's the type of node that most brutally punishes the overscaled, and those folks have enough sadness in their lives.
  • I personally don't mind having occasionally to fight goon-fed wolverine. It's a challenge. It's not a problem.
    Problem is when pretty much all the same setup of wolvie/gorgon + 2 feeders in nearly all nodes through out the entire event. That is just plain annoying.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Color-user + 2 goon feeders in that color isn't so much a challenge as it is a (1) scaling check, and then a (2) board check.

If your scaling sufficiently outpaces your character health, and you have a bad board (and bad drop-ins on the first few nodes), you'll lose.