A clever solution to the roster slot price problem

I thought up a simple way to fix the problem with spiraling roster slot price that allows Demiurge to offer them cheaper, while still encouraging people to buy them rather than use their winnings.

Basically, all you do is lock the maximum price in to 900 HP after the 70th slot, but offer a discounted 600 "HP" price through the store when buying the slots directly with real money instead of HP (i.e. 600 HP in whatever the local currency is).

This would allow Demiurge to make it inexpensive for players to expand their rosters, while encouraging them to buy the slots outright. Since it would only apply to slots purchased direct through the store, and not with "real" HP, it would encourage players to use their earned HP to level up their characters, etc.. instead of on roster slots (which would have the side effect that they might also be more willing to spend on covers if they're already used to buying them with HP, assuming you're more careful with your balancing in the future to avoid nerfs that turn off a lot of players).

It would probably also reduce the stress on the player base (and in particular collectors and/or more competitive alliances etc..) so they could focus less on resource management and more on having fun. It also would make it a lot more accessible for people to develop diverse rosters if it only costs $5 / slot to expand, and it would give them a reason to want to buy roster slots outright because "hey, I'm saving money and those HP can buy me part of a cover I want". It would also support the frequent character release model D3 has in this game much more than the current pricing system. Please consider it!

Comments

• Or they could just cap them at 500HP like how most of us have asked for but, instead they will try push their "roster diversity" **** on us by telling us we need to play more with different players than just our favorites yet, they "balance" all of them which makes it pointless to have a diverse roster if they're all the same.
  • A brilliant response by an intelligent, handsome man:

I don't think they're looking for a solution for this. They've said a bunch of times they're happy with how much roster slots cost.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArkPrime wrote:
    A brilliant response by an intelligent, handsome man:

I don't think they're looking for a solution for this. They've said a bunch of times they're happy with how much roster slots cost.

Did they? I thought I remember them saying it's a longterm concern that's on their radar but they haven't figured out what to do with it yet.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought up a simple way to fix the problem with spiraling roster slot price that allows Demiurge to offer them cheaper, while still encouraging people to buy them rather than use their winnings.

Basically, all you do is lock the maximum price in to 900 HP after the 70th slot, but offer a discounted 600 "HP" price through the store when buying the slots directly with real money instead of HP (i.e. 600 HP in whatever the local currency is).

This would allow Demiurge to make it inexpensive for players to expand their rosters, while encouraging them to buy the slots outright. Since it would only apply to slots purchased direct through the store, and not with "real" HP, it would encourage players to use their earned HP to level up their characters, etc.. instead of on roster slots (which would have the side effect that they might also be more willing to spend on covers if they're already used to buying them with HP, assuming you're more careful with your balancing in the future to avoid nerfs that turn off a lot of players).

It would probably also reduce the stress on the player base (and in particular collectors and/or more competitive alliances etc..) so they could focus less on resource management and more on having fun. It also would make it a lot more accessible for people to develop diverse rosters if it only costs $5 / slot to expand, and it would give them a reason to want to buy roster slots outright because "hey, I'm saving money and those HP can buy me part of a cover I want". It would also support the frequent character release model D3 has in this game much more than the current pricing system. Please consider it!

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • i really like your idea. like

but i am afraid they will take second part of your idea only.
    i would try not to be the guy says the glass is half empty but i played almost 500 daysnow, what do you know?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Did they?
    Yes they did, in the Q&A video (anyone else remember those?)
    They explicitly said the price is not coming down, and that DDQ was the solution to that, and to all the other ills in the world...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    Did they?
    Yes they did, in the Q&A video (anyone else remember those?)
    They explicitly said the price is not coming down, and that DDQ was the solution to that, and to all the other ills in the world...
    Yep, it sure is.

I pulled 1000 HP once since they introduced DDQ, which is enough for one roster slot (up to 950 here).

Of course they also released, I don't know, 8? 9? new characters since DDQ began.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roster slot packs would totally rock.. i would happily drop $10 or $20 for a 5 pack of roster slots.

i would even solemnly vow to keep a moonstone on my roster.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    I pulled 1000 HP once since they introduced DDQ, which is enough for one roster slot (up to 950 here).
    You've got me beat by 250. The RNG is not my friend...
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    really 600 hp max? rooster slots pricing is the stupidest thing ever. where is it ever used in any other games and imagine how bad they would be if it was implemented. pokemon, gotta catch them all... nope got to pay a premium to store in some one's
    Bill's
    PC. it should only be implemented if only if you want a duplicate hero. no more character tax.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    No, 900? Seriously? 200 tops just to keep hp in line and so they can get some revenue from new players. However, I have seen suggested that first copies are free...duplicates you pay for. And that makes sense. But adding 2+ characters a month, and then charging $7-10 for a slot to have them? This is ridiculous and will be one of the things that eventually drives me away if not addressed. If I am paying $10 for the character, it should come fully covered. In what other "real" game would you pay that much money for, well, nothing. Console games are $60. DLC's usually run $15-20, and include new characters, whole stories, maps, weapons, etc. And we pay more than half the DLC cost...to buy a placeholder.

And then you want covers? $130 to cover that 3*, and another $150 if you wanted to buy the iso. ****!? This is an IOS game with microtransactions. So make them micro. $2 a cover, tops, and people would be buying them a lot more, increasing overall revenue.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll restate my suggestion from many moons ago. One free roster slot with alternate new character releases. Keep the price for each paid for slot as is.
  • What bothers me is that MPQ developers hail DDQ as the Almighty Savior of the game current problems. "No, we wont reduce roster slot prices, we will give you the higher chance to get HP to buy those slots"

I have 60 slots. With that, I have 1 1* (mandatory for DDQ, combined arms...), all 2* except for Bagman, all 3* except for Octopus (and now Vision), all 4* (except for Kingpin).

I do this because I enjoy the "collection" aspect of the game... I have 5-6 2* I really use and same number for 3*...

My point is, and where the MPQ devs logic fails IMO: If this is a game where the transition between "power lvs" is encouraged (you use your 1* to get 2*, then 2* to get 3*... and it is quite impossible to win with max lv 2* against max lv 3*, for example), why would a player like me buy a new roster slot? Why would someone pay 800+ HP in a roster slot to accommodate a Bagman, or Venom? I rather sell my Bulleye, Moonstone, or any other unused 2* char to make room for a 3* character.

So, what is the point of charging an insane amount of money to add new slots, if these slots would be occupied by WORTHLESS champions? Roster slots cost become an issue to heavy collectors, and they do it out of fun not necessity. If someone has all 4* and all 3*, what difference those it make, in PVP terms, if they also has all 2* and 1* covers?

Roster slots absurd prices just penalize collectors... it is not a safeguard to prevent power scaling or anything... Not even a huge "income source", as regular players can go by easily 30-35 or so slots, not needing to make the "super expensive" purchases