4* Nerf Rumor and MPQ Credibility

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Whenever I see "Nerf Herders" all I think of is the theme to Buffy...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    1. Until X-Force green gets fixed, no one should be discussing any future nerfs or buffs. It'd be nice to get that one correct and behind everyone first.

You know what happens when someone sees X-Force, they let him collect all the green that he wants. Really? This is what is going for "balanced" these days?

Xforce's green was already fixed, and everyone still uses it plenty. It's just now that when someone like Punisher is buffed, people won't use XForce anyways. His green is more of a Juggernaut shakeup now than a damage dealer. I found it especially useful vs Ultron, and when you need to remove a special tile that is stomping you (inivisibilty anyone?) off the board when you can't get to it.

I would love to see footage of you letting xforce get green. I expect we will be watching him get a cascade earning blacks for himself or maybe some purples for Iron Fist (etc). Good luck with that.
    Here's where we are with xforce. I'd rather fight him than cyclops. Xf now has one relevant skill. Come to think of it, so does gt. And green doesn't collect ap with any kind of consistency. We all played with him enough to know this.

Good that PX isn't getting the shaft, but I'm not going to celebrate while there are two pale shadows of my formerly good 4*s in my roster.
  • Unknown
    Options
    A good guideline is this:

If any character starts warping the meta to the extent that they show up in every team at the top of PVP even when there are buffed characters and they're not one of them, they will eventually be nerfed. If Hulkbuster of Professor X (or both, together) start showing up on every PVP team like X-Force/4or did, they will be nerfed. Keep that in mind when spending HP or, especially, money on covers.

That said, it's probably not going to happen for a while.
  • Unknown
    Options
    LOL what do you all expect? This is MPQ. No one should be putting any $$$ or excess time into this game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think Demiurge has done a good job of preventing any future nerf for a long time. Everyone is scared to invest in Prof X and Hulkbuster for fear they will be nerfed in a couple months. As a result, their rise to domination will take a lot longer than X-Force and 4Thor's rise. Unfortunately by then, many of the former owners of 4Thor and X-Force will have quit the game.

If you're in 3* land, it's really disconcerting without having a clear goal to progress further. While I believe Miles is being honest about his knowledge, words are still not reaffirming enough. The best thing they could do to reassure us would be to rebuff 4Thor and XForce at least a little bit.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:

If any character starts warping the meta to the extent that they show up in every team at the top of PVP even when there are buffed characters and they're not one of them, they will eventually be nerfed. If Hulkbuster of Professor X (or both, together) start showing up on every PVP team like X-Force/4or did, they will be nerfed.
    Those two really don't go together, so there's not a good reason to use them together (other than right now, so you can go "Look what I have!"). Down the road, if some people are doing a PX team and some people are doing a Hulkbuster team, wouldn't that be considered "balance", and not reason to nerf BOTH of them? And who knows, maybe things will get even crazier and the next 4* will also be one that people will want to use too.

If the goal is for us to use whatever 3*s are buffed this week, I still need someone to explain why we have 4*s.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    Also can we finally get around to nerfing Juggernaught?
    He's never been on par with other one stars.

Goddess Thor and X-Force were nerfed because their presence on player rosters removed the necessity for players to spend $$$ on covers and slots for other characters. They were simply too OP in pvp. Juggernaut, on the other hand, isn't used in pvp at all (except for combined arms and other novelty inbetween season events). Furthermore, evidently this character isn't used by players with 2* rosters compared to cstorm or mnmag. If people don't use Juggy very much, it removes the need for D3 to nerf him.

I think you need to look at the rationale behind the decisions to change characters, rather than just comparing one character to another on the same star tier.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is the problem with the dedicated group of Nerf Herders on the forum.
    They have set themselves up as the authority on what is "best" for the game.
    Only they know which characters "need" to be changed and they are determined to help the entire community with the purity of their mission.
    This rumor came directly from the uninformed mouth of one of the most active Nerf Herders who whispered it in enough ears over the weekend to set off a panic.
    This person said it came directly from an unnamed dev and corroborated their "in the know" ability by regurgitating the spoilers about upcoming characters which anyone who wants to know can find out by just going to the appropriate subsection of this forum.
    The Nerf Herders argument about which character's "balance" will fix the game has been proven over and over to be wrong only to see another "unbalanced" character rise.
    They have reached new levels of hysteria when they started calling for a nerf of Scarlet Witch one day after she was released before any of them have ever played with the character. I have played with the character and she definitely fuels some interesting combos but in needing of the Nerf Herders "balance" I don't think so.
    I expect the nerf Hulkbuster thread to be along any day now.

Thank you Miles for actually coming in and showing up this fool for his inaccuracy and rumor mongering. I wish I thought it wouldn't be necessary again and again but I think the Nerf Herders like the attention they get too much.

Thank you Cologn, you spoke the voice of wisdom.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

If any character starts warping the meta to the extent that they show up in every team at the top of PVP even when there are buffed characters and they're not one of them, they will eventually be nerfed. If Hulkbuster of Professor X (or both, together) start showing up on every PVP team like X-Force/4or did, they will be nerfed.
    Those two really don't go together, so there's not a good reason to use them together (other than right now, so you can go "Look what I have!"). Down the road, if some people are doing a PX team and some people are doing a Hulkbuster team, wouldn't that be considered "balance", and not reason to nerf BOTH of them? And who knows, maybe things will get even crazier and the next 4* will also be one that people will want to use too.

If the goal is for us to use whatever 3*s are buffed this week, I still need someone to explain why we have 4*s.

They don't have any particular synergy, but they're not terrible together, in that they don't have any actives that share colors, and only share one color that Professor X has a passive on. They're better together if the featured has active yellow and green skills. But that's not really the point.

I don't think "you need one of these 2 4*s" is balance, it's just slightly less repetitious unbalance. And, truthfully, I think 4*s now fall in two categories: stuff for whales, and trophies. I don't consider my 4*s important anymore, and I've got 4 of them at 13 covers. Everyone introduced after Goddess is likely to never be fully covered, and my Goddess, who will need only 3 covers in about a week, may never get covered. Professor X or Hulkbuster could be earth-shatteringly powerful, but I'll never fully cover them. I'm not spending HP on characters who will get nerfed, I'm not killing myself in PVP to get their covers, and I'm not going to get enough covers for them any other way. They're trophies. For everybody but certain whales, the game is all going to be about the weekly buffed list.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Locked at OP's request.
This discussion has been closed.