New 7 day pve format--more work, less rewards?

Azoic
Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So D3 has moved to every pve event being 7 days, correct? So now if you want to place well, you need to play perfectly 7 days a week, no room for slip ups. No being late on a single refresh. It wasn't too bad putting aside time for 3-4 days before, but 7 is a lot.

Also, since we had 2 events a week before, that was a chance at two 4* covers and up to six 3* covers a week, guaranteed covers you can grind if you need 'em, no need for luck. Now we have to grind for 7 days for the half the possible covers at the end. Maybe the rewards should be expanded to allow for some errors--expanding the 4* to top 5 or something--or double covers? I hope the 5% increase from tokens was not to compensate for having 1 less event.

I like that they reformatted some of the events, merged subs, eliminated some nodes, etc, but wish they had done that and kept the 3 day events.

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Iirc, PvEs will be 3, 4 or 7 days long.
  • I thought they said that events will be 3, 4, or 7 days. This is a 7-day event, but is liable to be followed with 3 & 4 day events.
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    7 days is too long, 3-5 days max. AND 24-36 hrs for next event, no event overlap icon_e_wink.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    7 days is too long, 3-5 days max. AND 24-36 hrs for next event, no event overlap icon_e_wink.gif
    They already said PvE would run like PvP, without any breaks at all. If you want a 24-36 hour break, by all means take one of your own accord and join later, or skip an event altogether. D3 isn't going to do you any favors by having no PvE event running however (although gauntlet is similar to a break since you can play at your own pace but will have (likely) 4 days to finish it).

I agree with you though - 7 days is too long to be fighting continuously for top placements. If I really want a top 10 or even top 2, I always wait about halfway before joining cause otherwise you're just fighting burnout.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree that 7 days is too long. If they want to keep it on a weekly schedule they should alternate between 4/3 and 5/2 events.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    It's better than the 10 day ones.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    It's better than the 10 day ones.

Much like a sharp stick in the eye is better then having your head chopped off.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    They already said PvE would run like PvP, without any breaks at all. If you want a 24-36 hour break, by all means take one of your own accord and join later, or skip an event altogether. D3 isn't going to do you any favors by having no PvE event running however (although gauntlet is similar to a break since you can play at your own pace but will have (likely) 4 days to finish it).

I agree with you though - 7 days is too long to be fighting continuously for top placements. If I really want a top 10 or even top 2, I always wait about halfway before joining cause otherwise you're just fighting burnout.

so the nods are worth more pts if you join late or do you just hope you get put into a later bracket. i think nods might be worth more cause our top 10 now came out of nowhere for the first 3 days and first now has like 70k 10 is like 33k (dont even know how that is even possiable
  • I hate giving away my secret, but you don't have to play hard for all seven days. The way the bracketing works, groups of players competing for those top 150 slots (usually in groups of about one thousand) fill sequentially. This means that all of the hardcore players join early and get grouped together, and those who were otherwise preoccupied join an event later. Thus, you can still join late, and have an improved chance at the ranked prizes. The trade-off is that it isn't guaranteed to work (groups fill more slowly toward the end, and so if you bumble into being in the high 900s, you'll have a lot of catching up to do) and that it lessens your chances at getting all progression rewards.

So take a few days off. No worries.

(Apologies if somebody has already addressed this, didn't read the whole thread...)
  • Assuming the rewards are standardized, it looks like there's 250 HP for top 10 finishes on a 2 day sub and 100 HP for top 10 finishes in a 1 day sub and that seems like a pretty good deal. Sure it's not Iso 8 Brotherhood when you're getting double subs every 12 hours for 100 HP but that's just way too good. I see that there's only 50 HP on the progression rewards for the main bracket but I don't think the progression reward for main bracket was ever a major source of HP. The sub is always where the HP is at and 1 day sub for 100 HP in top 10 seems fairly standard. At least I can't recall getting more than 100 HP from any sub in the past other than the one time The Hunt had 500 HP for top 1 or top 2.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    mohio wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

so the nods are worth more pts if you join late or do you just hope you get put into a later bracket. i think nods might be worth more cause our top 10 now came out of nowhere for the first 3 days and first now has like 70k 10 is like 33k (dont even know how that is even possiable
    There's a thread in the events subforum that pops up for every PvE for the past couple months. Basically people in there report when their bracket fills up so you know when to join for a new one. Generally, people in there are "vets" so since the game segregates veteran players from newer players, keeping them in different brackets, as long as you know you're a "vet" it's a valuable resource for when you want to join an event late. The downside is you'll likely have others doing the same thing and ready to jump into the same new bracket you're about to jump into. The upside is that you're really only competing with those 50-100 guys/gals for placement, so at the least top 100/150 should be trivial, but the very top spots might be quite difficult.

What you mention is also true, your nodes are worth a bit more if you join near the end of a sub, but it's not really enough to catch you up to everyone else, so you really have to rely on getting a new bracket in order to place well.