Would it break the game if you let me play with your toys?

Options
udonomefoo
udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
IMO one of the biggest flaws in this game is that I can't play with characters at their fully covered states until I get them fully covered. How am I going to make the choice between who to keep or who to level or how I want them covered when I won't know what the right choice is without already getting there? (Yes, I know, check the forums. That's not an optimal solution.) How about getting rid of all the garbage rewards from the Shield Sim and truly making it a simulator. As in, I can try whatever I want in there. Let me pick my characters, their levels and covers and the same for my opponents (also provide a random button for the opponents that just picks a team scaled to be competitive with mine).

The only problem I can see with this is "if you can play with them fully leveled there, why build your own?" I don't really have an answer to that. If you can't make pvp and pve interesting and fun enough that they're more of a draw then the sim, then I don't know what to tell you. You could also find a way to limit it. Make it so you can only play a couple sims per day or make it cost something or both (first match free, then 5hp per match?).

I'm just throwing ideas out at this point. All I know is that I don't have the time or money to ever fully max a hulkbuster and I want to play with your toys.

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    IMO one of the biggest flaws in this game is that I can't play with characters at their fully covered states until I get them fully covered. How am I going to make the choice between who to keep or who to level or how I want them covered when I won't know what the right choice is without already getting there? (Yes, I know, check the forums. That's not an optimal solution.) How about getting rid of all the garbage rewards from the Shield Sim and truly making it a simulator. As in, I can try whatever I want in there. Let me pick my characters, their levels and covers and the same for my opponents (also provide a random button for the opponents that just picks a team scaled to be competitive with mine).

The only problem I can see with this is "if you can play with them fully leveled there, why build your own?" I don't really have an answer to that. If you can't make pvp and pve interesting and fun enough that they're more of a draw then the sim, then I don't know what to tell you. You could also find a way to limit it. Make it so you can only play a couple sims per day or make it cost something or both (first match free, then 5hp per match?).

I'm just throwing ideas out at this point. All I know is that I don't have the time or money to ever fully max a hulkbuster and I want to play with your toys.

After a character is released, the next PVE event often gives you a few nodes with a loaned max-covered, high level version of that character. For 4* there's a free node in the season screen that allows you to play with a good version of the 4* rewarded that season.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been playing since last November, and every single character (other than the last three related to Ultron) that's been introduced has been run, full powered, in either a part-of-your-team PvE node or the freebie PvP node on the season page. So there have been opportunities to see what new characters are like with all covers out. But once you miss that opportunity, it doesn't come back.

In general, I think a practice area is a good idea, so I'm on board with this concept regardless!
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    This has been suggested multiple, multiple times before...with nothing. Its a GREAT idea. It seems completely in line with what SHIELD could/should have been, and a very player friendly arena. Id love to see something like that. Remove progression rewards, remove the 30 ISO reward for not skipping, keep it out of season totals, insulate it from everything. Although I think that there should be a 70 ISO reward for winning a battle (with the caveat that levels need to be somewhat equivalent to qualify, maybe just on random op battles?), just so effort isnt completely wasted.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

After a character is released, the next PVE event often gives you a few nodes with a loaned max-covered, high level version of that character. For 4* there's a free node in the season screen that allows you to play with a good version of the 4* rewarded that season.

I should have mentioned in the op, I'm aware of the loaner nodes - they're just too rare, and most of the time the enemies are so weak I don't even get to fire off more than one ability and it's over.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I should have mentioned in the op, I'm aware of the loaner nodes - they're just too rare, and most of the time the enemies are so weak I don't even get to fire off more than one ability and it's over.

Yeah...usually level 200+ when you can only level them to 166 in real life, plus a level 130+ for the other 2 characters against level 100 goons. Its almost like reverse scaling and we kill the goons off so quick with match damage that its just not worth it because you don't really see what the character does. Hell, even a level 200+ bagman, doc ock, beast are significant against level 100 goons.