Powers that handle "new" special tiles

blinktag
blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
There's been a growth in the number of special tiles: traps (Electra, Hand), invisibility (Prof X), Bombs (Ultron), which is very cool, and adds a great dynamic. (Aside: some power that counters traps might be interesting, if not too focused.) I'm particularly a fan of the Ultron-style "drop-to-the-bottom" play, which requires different character types than the norm.

However, many powers aren't updated to deal with the increased variety of specials. Cap continues to work fine, due to the "any tile" description for 5 covers in red or blue, but other characters aren't so lucky.

May I suggest expanding the number of characters that could be modified to deal with any opponent special? In all cases, I suggest that such an extraordinary benefit require a fifth cover in a power. Some examples:

Daredevil (purple): Modify rank 5 to cover any enemy special tile (including CD, bomb, or as would be especially fitting for this char, invisibility). It might be especially fitting for DD to be able to detect and remove trap tiles, too!
Doc Oc (blue): His black passive says it works with any enemy special (haven't tried it), but can we update his blue as well, on the fifth cover?
Falcon (blue): Modify 5th cover to work with any enemy special. This might have the unintended consequence of making Ultron-style too easy, or wasting Redwing on web tiles, so this needs further consideration. Maybe if there are no cd, strike, protect, or attack tiles AND the player has a higher threshold of blue (e.x., 8, instead of 5) then remove other enemy specials as well.
Bag-Man: The upgraded blue costs are out of control, imho, making bagman (more) useless until very late stages. Maybe lower the cost at five blue covers without an additional web? Also, at 5 covers and 18 ap cost (!), purple should work on any tile.

I'm sure there are more. In each of these cases, this would, I hope, breathe some new life into less used characters.

Comments

• The reason why these abilities don't handle all special tiles like Captain America is because they're already too good at doing so and at any rate, there's no such thing as 'abilities that work on everything' as even Captain America's ability doesn't work on locked tiles. The inability to handle say, bomb tiles are part of the intended challenge. If you make everything handle every special ability it'd be too easy, except it won't be because then you would just start seeing stuff like 'bomb tiles are not affected by abilities that normally get rid of special tiles'.
  • I think cap is able to do that because of the fairly high cost on it, and it targets one tile at a time. Usually, by the time you get one of his shields back or get anough AP to target a second CD tile it would have triggered alredy.

I would love more ways to deal with special tiles, specially CD ones, but this also needs some tweaking, for example Falcon's Redwing not being a passive and instead a 5AP cost that targets any special tile, but randomly and can only have one of it on the board (maybe with a 2 turn CD only then).

If anything, what bothers me is that DD purple can only target three types of tiles and even at 5 covers it doesnt targets all of them (amount wise, unlike Loki).
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    i respec'd his purpleflag.png from 5 to 3 because of that reason to limited in function( 3 types), to expensive cost/effect and is an useless ability when none of those types are present on the board.
  • The suggestion I really enjoyed in having DD "purple" disable invisibility. He doesnt rely on his vision after all. But if you consider Invisible Woman invisibility and Prof. X invisibility work differently (IW is sight based, while ProfX messes up your brain), it is hard to advocate in its favor.

Targeting other special tiles like traps and bombs should not be implemented. Traps you can already disable by swapping the color of the tile its attached to. Bomb tiles in Ultron, as said above, is part of the challenge. You can destroy them with "destroy tiles"powers, like Hulk green, x-force black, 2* magneto blue, Hood yellow.. etc..

Bottom line is: DD purple should be stronger.