D3 - Something to take note of

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Just to add to the OP's point:

My alt is in a super casual alliance (top 500 PvE, top 500 PvP). Some members don't even play daily. They definitely don't check forums. I've been pretty impressed by their optimism with the game - they don't get down on people for not playing or missing a reward, they try to work through the server glitches and bugs as a team on in-game chat, they post an encouraging "Nice try" or "Valiant effort" after a PvE for a cool character, which we have undoubtedly missed due to not being top 100.

After making it to Round 5 or 6 of the first Ultron run, we didn't even make it out of Round 1 of the second. For the very first time, someone posted that they were sick of the game. Devs beware. Burnout is real, even among casual and easygoing players.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Relatively casual alliance here.
    In first Ultron, our alliance beat round 7, but was locked out of the second SW node. This time, we beat round 5 with 3 days to spare and could have done 6, but the burnout was there. Some people mentioned, why try and beat the node for a hulkbuster if we might get locked out again? It's safer to play the pve and try for top 50. Others just were completely disinterested this time around. At the end, with server issues and some 0 pointers, we were short about 8 hours for Ultron mk6.

The burnout is real.
    Not much more to add that the OP didn't already address. I too am tired of arguing with fanboys and pointing out flaws in the game (aka "complaining").

The ugly truth is D3 is starting to push that line between a full legitimate RPG (and all the grind that comes with it) and the undeniable truth that, at its core, Marvel Puzzle Quest is just a simple mobile centric match-3 game.

They may be asking for too much commitment for what it essentially a time waster app.
    I'm guessing only time will tell on that last point...

Totally agreed. They killed the fun of PVP by not giving us a few easy battles to start. No one likes to lose right from the get go, or see that they don't have a chance.
  • Unknown
    Options
    In an odd way thanks for creating Ultron, it was fun and different. Not only that but it pushed the grind 400% over the edge and broke the addiction. I'm glad my tokens for the event were almost all 2*s, else I might have thought the effort was worth it and kept coming back for more. So earned 2 hulkbusters added them to the roster and then left my alliance and haven't played since. Not even DDQ. I am free. I left and came back once before because I held hope for something different, but Ultron has taught me that even the fun new and exciting parts of MPQ are not the gaming experience I want. So just short of 400 days played with an embarrassingly large number of hours played according to steam, and just a little bit of time spent here with the community, I am finally free. Last time I retired I was looking for a reason to come back. This time I am tempted to sell everything and not look back, and feel great about that decision.

Thanks for letting me go out on a fun event. Best wishes for your future success to D3/demiurge, good luck to all the players staying put. Should be an exciting time for the new crop of upcoming veterans.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In an odd way thanks for creating Ultron, it was fun and different. Not only that but it pushed the grind 400% over the edge and broke the addiction. I'm glad my tokens for the event were almost all 2*s, else I might have thought the effort was worth it and kept coming back for more. So earned 2 hulkbusters added them to the roster and then left my alliance and haven't played since. Not even DDQ. I am free.

Sorry to hear that. I really like your comments on the game. But as usual, I agree with you. (Although I didn't try for the 4* covers, despite Alliance hopes, which is how I have managed to continue to enjoy the game).

Ultron Run 2, and even Run 1, were a terrible grind for a non-competitive event. It really troubles me that it was actually designed that way and not a by-product of en masse player behavior.
  • Unknown
    Options
    CoolB76 wrote:
    I'm even bored of the Daily Deadpool. It's a great addition to the game but like all other things it becomes monotonous after a while.

Daily Deadpool is the ONLY reason I come back. It can be monotonous, but it is only a few minutes of your time to win a 3 star cover!
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    This is a great post OP.

I'm getting worried that D3 is getting low on funds and desperate for new revenue. The Ultron event was clearly bigger than their company could handle. I'm sure some of that was pressure from Marvel to get this done by the movie date. If it was an isolated incident, I'd write it off. When you add in the accelerated cover release dates and the currently announced nerf to 3* pull rates, it starts to become a pattern. Just as people are afraid to put money into new covers, for fear of the nerf bat, should we be afraid to put money into this game, for fear of an impending bankruptcy?
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Relatively casual alliance here.
    In first Ultron, our alliance beat round 7, but was locked out of the second SW node. This time, we beat round 5 with 3 days to spare and could have done 6, but the burnout was there. Some people mentioned, why try and beat the node for a hulkbuster if we might get locked out again? It's safer to play the pve and try for top 50. Others just were completely disinterested this time around. At the end, with server issues and some 0 pointers, we were short about 8 hours for Ultron mk6.

The burnout is real.

"The ugly truth is D3 is starting to push that line between a full legitimate RPG (and all the grind that comes with it) and the undeniable truth that, at its core, Marvel Puzzle Quest is just a simple mobile centric match-3 game."

Totally agreed. They killed the fun of PVP by not giving us a few easy battles to start. No one likes to lose right from the get go, or see that they don't have a chance.

Agree with OP. The burnout is real.

My alliance made it to 6 on Ultron 2, but we only had 4-5 serious players with the punch to make a dent. I couldn't bring myself to grind another sentinel node--and I had good drops from the tokens (6 or so 3*, including SW, plus IMHB red). I have a good team of boosted chars for Enemy of the State, but it's obviously a very competitive PVE what with a 4* reward, and with life preventing 6+ hours a day of MPQ I probably won't break top-50 unless final hour totals are extreme.

So I turned this morning to PVP for the first time in a week, thinking "I can do this a bit, get some ISO, maybe a 300-point cover pull and -- er, ah." All I see is wall-to-wall teams with level 166 X-force and higher boosted chars. Nice. My highest char is 126, rest are around 94. So until I can figure out how to toilet my MMR, and find the mental energy to GRIND through that, MPQ PVP may as well not exist.

So what is left? DDQ and shutting down the phone for family time.

Well the wife will be happy, but D3 won't make a dime.

--Khanwulf
  • Unknown
    Options
    Khanwulf wrote:
    So what is left? DDQ and shutting down the phone for family time.

Well the wife will be happy, but D3 won't make a dime.

How true this is - 15 min in the morning with the DDQ and that's it for a while - very tired of all the rest - I hope this strategy works well for D3 icon_e_smile.gif
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think the most disappointing thing about this game, is that it seems the only way the ptb* think they can make money off this game is by stressing out the player base.

It's unfortunate, because their cash cow, is also their undoing. You can only squeeze so hard before you kill the cow.

*powers that be, d3, demiruge, sega, disney, whoever...
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    LXSandman wrote:
    Hey Guys,

There is something you should be aware of ... The player base is fatigued. We are tired of the grind. We are tired of complaining.

I don't want to bad mouth anyone, call anyone names, etc etc... But I did want to tell you that your player base is getting so tired of the game that they are considering taking a break. I'm a pretty hardcore player, I play a lot for a match three game. I've put money into the game because I love it. But I'm considering taking a break... and you know what that means for a mobile game like this? It means that I might never come back to play again.

The first round of the Ultron event was alot of fun. Felt kinda grindy at the end, but all in all I was getting rewards and really enjoying my time. This second round has just felt like a horrible slog ... The only reason I'm still going is that I don't want to let my Alliance down. But then you run another PVE at the same time... . as well as starting another season of pvp. It's too much, it feels over whelming and it's just making me feel tired. I guess the rewards to work ratio just doesn't feel right.

You know what event doesn't feel grindy, is fun, and feels rewarding? DDQ. You get something that is useful, and most importantly it doesn't take a lot of time. So great job with that one!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe go casual for a little while and see how that feels.

p.s. You guys could do alot better with the forum communication. Go take a look at the Marvel Heroes forums. The dev's are very active and will participate in conversations with players. I think that would really help with the hate around these parts.

LXSandman

Right on the money. Lots of changes and new characters last 1.5+ months. I think with all that you said plus so many events going on at once also exacerbated the Ultron 2nd run problem.
    With so much going on, the last thing that should have happened was how that was run on light of the number of recent events and the number going on during this.

To be perfectly honest, I wish every player got hb covers just as a reward for getting past these last two months and still being here. Looking back, maybe that's the real incredible feat.

Player Base =B-
    Mpq =incomplete