No move shake up bringing bomb to the bottom of ultron board

alphabeta
alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
I just barely scrapped through against ultron in Round 7 just when when because there was no move the board got shaken up and the bomb was moved from the second from top row to the bottom row.

Seriously????

If that is not a bug it's a serious design flaw - it wiped out Cap and Mags through the bomb and the resulting cascade and Punisher just scrapped me over the line but it's not right that I was on for limited damage to having to spend health packs because bombs can be moved.

When board gets shaken up surely they should be locked in position - ok then a cascade could happen that moves them down but it could also wipe them out so I accept bad luck but not being able to do anything about it then finding 2 of my team wiped out is a joke.

Comments

• Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Why wouldn't board shake move the bomb down? lol.

There's a chance board shake will destroy the bombs, there's a chance it will trigger them. It doesn't move only basic tiles, it moves all special tiles. This is no different than being angry that the board had to rearrange and it moved your Strike Tiles into an easy Match-5 for the AI. Does it suck? Yeah. Is it part of the game? Yeah.

Edited because I misread the original post, but I still disagree with it.
  • alphabeta
    Arondite wrote:

Risk reward - there's a chance board shake will destroy the bombs, there's a chance it will trigger them. If you don't wanna lose, don't gamble.

Risk reward implies a trade off and some active choice on my part.

Thanks for the constructive sarcasm though - how was I gambling?

Don't bother replying - we aren't going to agree.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

Risk reward - there's a chance board shake will destroy the bombs, there's a chance it will trigger them. If you don't wanna lose, don't gamble.

Risk reward implies a trade off and some active choice on my part.

Thanks for the constructive sarcasm though - how was I gambling?

Don't bother replying - we aren't going to agree.

I misread your original post, so I do apologize for that.

Still, not a very valid complaint. When the board shakes, it shakes everything. That sucks, but it's RNG.
  • alphabeta
    Thanks - no problem for misreading

I see what you are saying - its just for me these are unique circumstances - the point of the game is to avoid a bomb going from the top of the board to the bottom - Ultron already had one big advantage that bombs explode before they match - this just feels like a second lose button.

I don't want a win button but I also don't want to suffer from a lose button effect.

Seems like I'm in a minority of one though which is fair enough - I'll accept by bad luck and plough on
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2015
    alphabeta wrote:
    I just barely scrapped through against ultron in Round 7 just when when because there was no move the board got shaken up and the bomb was moved from the second from top row to the bottom row.

Maybe the problem is that even knowing the type of event, you chose to use a board shaker? That was a tactical decision on your part. Loki seems like a really poor choice, IMNSHO.

For this specific reason, I did not use any board shaker on the Ultron battles. There are other options for targeted clears (GSBW, 2Mags, 2/3Cap, etc ... my personal favorite was 1* Hawkeye, actually.)

Anyway, using a shakeup on this type of an event is a known risk, and you're complaining when it bit you? Try a different team.

EDIT: Okay, like several others, I misunderstood. The shake-up is coming from a no-move board, not from a power. Yeah, it sucks (and it happened to me, too), but it should be rare enough that a) health packs should recover from the loss, b) your team should have a tank that can take a couple of these hits, and c) you can usually see these coming, so a decent board manipulation character can help prevent the situation. So, I'm climbing down from my high horse, but still think a good character selection and use can mitigate the damage from this happening.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    blinktag wrote:
    alphabeta wrote:

Maybe the problem is that even knowing the type of event, you chose to use a board shaker? That was a tactical decision on your part. Loki seems like a really poor choice, IMNSHO.

For this specific reason, I did not use any board shaker on the Ultron battles. There are other options for targeted clears (GSBW, 2Mags, 2/3Cap, etc ... my personal favorite was 1* Hawkeye, actually.)

Anyway, using a shakeup on this type of an event is a known risk, and you're complaining when it bit you? Try a different team.

He wasn't using a board shaker for Ultron. The board was rearranged when there are no more matches available at which point the bomb was taken from the top of the screen to the last row and exploded.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    grunth13 wrote:
    He wasn't using a board shaker for Ultron. The board was rearranged when there are no more matches available at which point the bomb was taken from the top of the screen to the last row and exploded.

Thanks for the correction. Original post updated.

tl;dr: The situation can sometimes be anticipated, and its prevention or consequences can be handled by a good team composition (tank, board manipulation). So, yes, it sucks. Yes, a no-move refresh happened to me too, moving some bombs down. But it's still part of the game.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The ones i hated were for example.. using Thor's yellow to kill Ultron.. cascades from the resulting green matches brought bombs down AFTER ultron was dead.. and they would explode one after another killing off people, even though the match was over.

Event is over, so no biggie now (at the time, furious over losing health packs). Just adding this in case they see it , to maybe correct it for next time.
  • Yeah this sucks. I had a board shake bring down 3 bombs at once one time after cascades, and lost badly. Do I think it's a bug? Not really. Still totally unfair.

Once had a board shake work in my favor, where the bomb was in the second bottom row and board shake put it on the very top row, higher than even Ultron could have made it.
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Just seems super unlucky to me. Didn't have this happen to me once during either event.
  • alphabeta
    blinktag wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:

Thanks for the correction. Original post updated.

tl;dr: The situation can sometimes be anticipated, and its prevention or consequences can be handled by a good team composition (tank, board manipulation). So, yes, it sucks. Yes, a no-move refresh happened to me too, moving some bombs down. But it's still part of the game.

In round 7 as a 2* player there is no team composition that can handle more than 1 bomb per member - let alone a bomb then a cascade.

It's bad luck I get that - I see puzzle game as a matter of planning and skill though and don't really think luck should be such a massive component - yes health packs will revive but the essential nodes ate so much health I was massively suffering to clear 6 times in 8 hours no matter how hard I played.