Shouldn't there be more than 6 commons?

Since we get waaaay more of them than any other rarity, it is really bizarre to me that there are only 6 characters, and on top of that most of them only have 2 powers so they max even faster. Since this basically has a CCG format (common, uncommon, etc), perhaps you should look at how they split sets. Because commons are common, there are generally alot of them, that way customers don't feel like they get the same trash over and over again. In a game where you buy a 'pack' and only get one 'card', getting the same common you've already gotten 70 of is even worse.

Comments

• Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    I'm fine with the low number of 1*. they are only meant to get the player used to the system without overwhelming them. if there are too many then they become harder to level up making for a more difficult time. but i do agree that is it annoying to draw the same 1*s over and over again. there is so much trash in each of the pulls it would be nice to trim some of that away. they suggested trading into higher tier tokens, but we need to break the 3* barrier with tokens to make it worth while(3* +). otherwise i will take my chances with the 1* tokens.
  • The thing is, they could add 18 new commons, and you'd still have little to no trouble maxing them out. I'm not sure why the system even works the way it does as apart from a few really specific occasions the 1 stars are more or less useless. If people didn't argue against every possibly game improving suggestion like this for no apparent reason, maybe they'd actually start changing things like this. They say they care and they listen, so I don't understand defending things like medpacks or getting the same 6 near-worthless cards over and over and over again for basically no reason at all. Does anyone honestly enjoy selling dozens of juggernauts and black widows?
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    The thing is, they could add 18 new commons, and you'd still have little to no trouble maxing them out. I'm not sure why the system even works the way it does as apart from a few really specific occasions the 1 stars are more or less useless. If people didn't argue against every possibly game improving suggestion like this for no apparent reason, maybe they'd actually start changing things like this. They say they care and they listen, so I don't understand defending things like medpacks or getting the same 6 near-worthless cards over and over and over again for basically no reason at all. Does anyone honestly enjoy selling dozens of juggernauts and black widows?

They're simply 100 iso. Don't see why it would make a difference if there were 18 other covers I had to sell for 100 iso. Moving from 1* to 2* is a short process and 1*'s don't get enough use to really validate adding more. I could see adding a few more 2*'s as that transition is a long process and diversity is the "spice of life", but by the time you level up a few 1* characters you're already into your 2* transition. They just don't serve much purpose.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    One stars are so tightly grouped, so common, and so small a group so that a brand new player who isn't winning many matches and getting many tokens can still complete one very very quickly.

Sure, we go through 50's of commons a day, but a new player may only get ~5 draws or so for the same period of play. It's important that the pool they draw from be small.
  • Wow. You people are amazing. Do you realize how much of a stretch it is to try and find anything positive out of this "feature"? You seriously like selling the same commons over and over again? Do you also like that there is an option to buy a standard pack for 500 Iso solely as a noob trap to see how much Iso they can suck out of each player before we realize they are worthless? Do you like getting piles of standard tokens, then going through the clunky process of turning them all into useless commons, then scrolling through the giant rewards list picking out all the commons and selling them for 10 minutes? This is all the same problem. If the one star covers are only useful for a fraction of a percentage of the time you'll be playing, then shouldn't something be done about that? No cover should be complete garbage.
  • Arondite
    Wow. You people are amazing. Do you realize how much of a stretch it is to try and find anything positive out of this "feature"? You seriously like selling the same commons over and over again? Do you also like that there is an option to buy a standard pack for 500 Iso solely as a noob trap to see how much Iso they can suck out of each player before we realize they are worthless? Do you like getting piles of standard tokens, then going through the clunky process of turning them all into useless commons, then scrolling through the giant rewards list picking out all the commons and selling them for 10 minutes? This is all the same problem. If the one star covers are only useful for a fraction of a percentage of the time you'll be playing, then shouldn't something be done about that? No cover should be complete garbage.

No, I don't like any of that. But it's necessary for new players, and I want new players to actually be able to play the game, so it's a necessary evil.

Do I need the one stars? No. But I won't need a different one star either, so it doesn't mean jack-all whether there are 6 one stars or whether there are 50 for me. Who does it matter to? A brand new player. And a brand new player needs there to be as few one stars as possible so that they can finish one quickly even though they get minimal tokens.

How are you not comprehending something so incredibly simple?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    1*s are basically tutorial toons. Nobody needs more.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor

And Juggernaut. Everyone needs Juggernaut! icon_e_smile.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:

Yeah, that's true. He's got two uses. icon_lol.gif
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Do you also like that there is an option to buy a standard pack for 500 Iso solely as a noob trap to see how much Iso they can suck out of each player before we realize they are worthless?

I disagree entirely! Dumping Iso into standard tokens helped me make the transition into 3*'s. Yes, right now I would love to have that Iso back to level up the umpteen 3* characters I have with more covers than levels. But that's getting better (hopefully even better after R75!) Also would I have gotten as far as I am now had I not pulled all those 3* covers from standard tokens?

At the time I was figuring on about 1 in 50 standard tokens were Gold. However the most recent time I saved up some standard tokens and counted my Gold, I pulled 7 Gold out of 168 tokens, averaging about 1 in 24. If more than 3 of those had been covers I actually needed, it would have been even better!

If you want to convert your worthless covers into better tokens, selling them off & using the Iso to buy standard tokens is the best we will get.
  • Oh god no don't do that.

I bought dozens of tokens before I realized they only give you 2 and 3 star if you didn't spend Iso on them. Tokens you get from mission rewards or whatnot can and will give you 2 or 3 stars, but spending 500 on one gets you a guaranteed common. I wasted thousands like this and talked to support who told me it was working as intended.

And to Arondite, perhaps you shouldn't be so condescending when you're not making much sense. The common system is broken so we shouldn't fix any part of it? You realize that it is possible to change the game so that commons are NOT worthless, right? This is a part of the same larger problem I'm talking about. You realize that as well, right?
  • Arondite
    Oh god no don't do that.

I bought dozens of tokens before I realized they only give you 2 and 3 star if you didn't spend Iso on them. Tokens you get from mission rewards or whatnot can and will give you 2 or 3 stars, but spending 500 on one gets you a guaranteed common. I wasted thousands like this and talked to support who told me it was working as intended.

I mean on one hand you're right that spending ISO on tokens is a poor gamble
    On the other hand you're outright lying when you say it's a guaranteed common.

And to Arondite, perhaps you shouldn't be so condescending when you're not making much sense. The common system is broken so we shouldn't fix any part of it? You realize that it is possible to change the game so that commons are NOT worthless, right? This is a part of the same larger problem I'm talking about. You realize that as well, right?

What the hell makes you think it's broken? The 1 star heroes aren't worthless, they're a stepping stone for new players and they give you access to 2500 ISO a day - more than paying for themselves. Are you suggesting they be "fixed" to have some sort of end game relevance? Because if so, that's positively hilarious - they have no reason to be comparable to end game heroes, as they aren't end game heroes themselves. They should hold a candle to the worst three star.
  • Like I said, I paid thousands of Iso and got only commons. D3 said it's working as intended. So it's intended to only give you commons if you spend Iso on it. Obviously you people like it this way, so screw it. I'm going to go play a game where the whole system isn't screwed up by nonsensically pairing rarity and levels, so you guys have fun selling hundreds of Venoms and Yelenas.
  • Arondite
    Like I said, I paid thousands of Iso and got only commons. D3 said it's working as intended. So it's intended to only give you commons if you spend Iso on it.

Outstanding. I've never seen someone make a leap like you did - ever. Out. Standing.
  • Heartburn
    the real problem is why are people in 2* -3* or 3*-4* transitions winning 1* tokens? short answer that is all they are giving us besides the 1-3 tokens per event that are 2*, yet no 3* or 4* tokens, that is why the 2*-3* transition and above is such a slow pace.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heartburn wrote:
    the real problem is why are people in 2* -3* or 3*-4* transitions winning 1* tokens? short answer that is all they are giving us besides the 1-3 tokens per event that are 2*, yet no 3* or 4* tokens, that is why the 2*-3* transition and above is such a slow pace.

Yes, this is the real problem. I'd love to see a system where you do something more with these than just open and sell for Iso. Maybe trade ten one star tokens in for a 2 start token.
  • DaveR4470 wrote:

Yeah, that's true. He's got two uses. icon_lol.gif

IMO three:
    Balance of Power PvP
    Combined Arms PvP
    DDQ first node
  • There's another reason to expand the 1 star selection that's been completely ignored so far in this thread.

Expanding appeal to new players who might just be picking it up to see their favorite characters. The current selection is, well, not the best, as far as grabbing a casual marvel fan might go. They were wise to go with IM/HE/BW for the avengers grab. But some people are just going to not be impressed with the selection, and not realize how much it expands at the 2 star level.

Honestly, I think I'd prefer a wider selection of 1stars, with some of the iconic Marvel characters, and then have them actually be "Promotable" to being 2 stars as you make the transition, (with the rebalancing needed to make sure they're not garbage, but also not overpowered due to different scaling).

This still keeps the 1stars as "Tutorial" characters but would allow for some expanded options, but also would allow people to develop a connection with their favorite characters.
  • They could make tokens specifically for one stars for the beginners that are available in the storyline and make the pull rate better on the standards.
  • Heartburn
    They could make tokens specifically for one stars for the beginners that are available in the storyline and make the pull rate better on the standards.
    roll that out to all transitions and that is a good idea