Great game, but quitting. Thanks for the help.

Options
Hey all just wanted to say thanks for the help. Without the forums, I wouldn't have done so well.
This was a great game but I have to quit. I only played for 35 days but I don’t expect it to get better.
Reasons for why I am quitting are:

1.) Time =/= reward.
In past 35 days I was a heavy player, 5+ hours a day.
From all the recent events (ultron, pvps, rocket & groot, herioc), I won over 100 tokens and various covers.
But in the end, I got nowhere.
My roster is 32 characters but I am still heavily reliant on my 2*.
None of my 3* are close to being maxed and I don’t expect them to be any time soon.
I have over 10 3*/4* waiting to be added but no HP for and will never get enough for them. And they expire in 14 days.

2. Token system. I agree that it’s fun to open tokens and hope to get something good. But tokens open 2* way too much. Every kind of token opens 2* and no one really wants them.
When you do get a 3*, its most likely not the one you want or need.
It’s a big disappointment to do so well and win a lot of tokens but in the end, only net like 3000 iso and 3-4 covers you wanted. Why even put in the effort?
It would be great if there was a 3* only token, but I doubt that would happen.

3. Rewards. Between Ultron and the scarlet witch nodes, I won 20 iso from 10+ wins. It’s really sucks to put in all that effort and be rewarded with pretty much nothing. This kind of reward system is really depressing. I understand they don’t want people to farm easy nodes, but this is Ultron, something actually challenging. It’s a slap to the face to see that you won 20 iso after you barely beat a lvl 6 Ultron and ( with 250 iso, or a token still being possible).

This game was fun and I can see why. The Ultron event was great and fun to play. But unfortunately, it doesn't feel like the game rewards the effort you put in. You can put in a ton of effort and in the end get nowhere.

Comments

• That sounds a lot better than my experience during my first 35 days.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    wow surprised you found the forum so quickly. if your not having fun no reason to play then, glad you can get out before getting hooked. good luck out there.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow times have changed huh? Back in the day, at day 35 I might still be struggling to build a usable 2* team, and my roster is definitely much less than 32 covers then, in fact at that time I doubt we even had 32 characters in the first place.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mrx0 wrote:
    Hey all just wanted to say thanks for the help. Without the forums, I wouldn't have done so well.
    This was a great game but I have to quit. I only played for 35 days but I don’t expect it to get better.

1.) Time =/= reward.
    From all the recent events (ultron, pvps, rocket & groot, herioc), I won over 100 tokens and various covers.
    None of my 3* are close to being maxed and I don’t expect them to be any time soon.
    I have over 10 3*/4* waiting to be added but no HP for and will never get enough for them. And they expire in 14 days.

14 days is an improvement. When I first started playing, the expiration was much shorter. It was basically 'spend money to roster your goodies now or forever hold your peace.' I still do occasionally spring for roster spots, but 14 days also gives me time to try to earn hero points in other ways. It's an improvement.

As for the roster stuff? The transition to 3* isn't instant. It doesn't happen in 35 days. Especially if you're not a big spender. If you're patient, it will come. If you're trying to collect ALL THE CHARACTERS as a free-to-play'er, you're going to have a bad time. That's one of the things I've had to come to grips with. I'm okay with paying for roster spots here and there, but until/unless a cap is instituted on roster costs, I have to pick and choose which characters I really want to invest the time into growing.

I have to decide if a 1-cover character I like is worth hanging onto if I get two or three covers of another. She-Thor is on the bubble for me right now because I have one cover from her, but there are other, more collectible, characters I have my eye on. If I ever pull a Kamala Khan, for example, I'm probably dropping She-Thor.

My mobile roster isn't quite as overloaded with 3* in the stash as yours is, but it's got three 3* hanging out and, no, they're probably not getting added at this point unless a DDQ taco hits the jackpot.

For what it's worth, my Steam roster is on day 276, and has 46 characters.
    2. Token system. I agree that it’s fun to open tokens and hope to get something good. But tokens open 2* way too much. Every kind of token opens 2* and no one really wants them.
    It’s a big disappointment to do so well and win a lot of tokens but in the end, only net like 3000 iso and 3-4 covers you wanted. Why even put in the effort?

If every token gave you a 3*, there'd be no sense of excitement. It would, eventually, be the same ho-hum that most standard tokens are. "Yawn, more 1* trash." You're at that point on heroic/event tokens and 2* either because you're trying to jump straight from 1* to a 3* roster, or because you've been remarkably successful at covering 2* inside of a month.
    3. Rewards. Between Ultron and the scarlet witch nodes, I won 20 iso from 10+ wins. It’s really sucks to put in all that effort and be rewarded with pretty much nothing. This kind of reward system is really depressing. I understand they don’t want people to farm easy nodes, but this is Ultron, something actually challenging. It’s a slap to the face to see that you won 20 iso after you barely beat a lvl 6 Ultron and ( with 250 iso, or a token still being possible).

The 20 ISO booby prize is the worst part about the game and needs to go, I agree. Especially with the dev focus on making matches longer.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    14 days is an improvement. When I first started playing, the expiration was much shorter. It was basically 'spend money to roster your goodies now or forever hold your peace.' I still do occasionally spring for roster spots, but 14 days also gives me time to try to earn hero points in other ways. It's an improvement.

As for the roster stuff? The transition to 3* isn't instant. It doesn't happen in 35 days. Especially if you're not a big spender. If you're patient, it will come. If you're trying to collect ALL THE CHARACTERS as a free-to-play'er, you're going to have a bad time. That's one of the things I've had to come to grips with. I'm okay with paying for roster spots here and there, but until/unless a cap is instituted on roster costs, I have to pick and choose which characters I really want to invest the time into growing.

I have to decide if a 1-cover character I like is worth hanging onto if I get two or three covers of another. She-Thor is on the bubble for me right now because I have one cover from her, but there are other, more collectible, characters I have my eye on. If I ever pull a Kamala Khan, for example, I'm probably dropping She-Thor.

My mobile roster isn't quite as overloaded with 3* in the stash as yours is, but it's got three 3* hanging out and, no, they're probably not getting added at this point unless a DDQ taco hits the jackpot.

Yeah at the beginning I accepted that I cant keep everyone but since I am trying to do well, you have to try to keep everyone good just in case they become an essential. It's a bad ripple effect, since it looks like the cover you win now is an essential for the next event. Additionally, some covers are just hard to come by or in the case of 4*, auto keep.
    DFiPL wrote:
    ]If every token gave you a 3*, there'd be no sense of excitement. It would, eventually, be the same ho-hum that most standard tokens are. "Yawn, more 1* trash." You're at that point on heroic/event tokens and 2* either because you're trying to jump straight from 1* to a 3* roster, or because you've been remarkably successful at covering 2* inside of a month.

Yeah, I can understand but it just a disappointment to win a 2* especially for the special tokens like the ultron one where you can win hp or ironman but instead get moonstone. I was working on 3* stars. I was very successful using 2* thor, obw, ares and storm.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You can't treat event tokens any differently from the heroic tokens. They are essentially the same thing. To be honest I wish I had your roster when I was in Day 35. I've spent my first month in prologue. Like others have said, if you're going the free to play route, the starting months will be extremely rough. But if you drop 20 bucks for HP and spend it only for roster slots, you'll never have to buy HP ever again. That's all I have spent on mpq cause you earn enough from events later on to sustain the new character releases. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mrx0 wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

Yeah at the beginning I accepted that I cant keep everyone but since I am trying to do well, you have to try to keep everyone good just in case they become an essential. It's a bad ripple effect, since it looks like the cover you win now is an essential for the next event. Additionally, some covers are just hard to come by or in the case of 4*, auto keep.

Yes and no. I mean, that early in your MPQ "career," unless you're spending actual money on covers, your roster just isn't going to be strong enough for the essential to matter much. My mobile roster has 27 characters, and of its assortment of 3*, nearly all are single covers. Having somebody be essential is nice, but my placement rewards on mobile tend to happen because it's a weaker roster so the game goes 'here, have a T100 finish and two Quicksilver covers" or something periodically. Access to the essential nodes just doesn't mean as much with my 2* characters still in need of training. I just don't have enough 2* both covered and trained to be able to play PVEs that obsessively on mobile. I have 82 days on the mobile roster, offhand; my highest-trained 2* characters are Thor, Storm, and Captain Marvel at 86/72/70 respectively. I have five other 2* with 11-13 covers, but none are trained higher than 54. Not sure how that compares to your own roster at 35 days, but there's my experience to compare with.
    DFiPL wrote:
    ]If every token gave you a 3*, there'd be no sense of excitement. It would, eventually, be the same ho-hum that most standard tokens are. "Yawn, more 1* trash." You're at that point on heroic/event tokens and 2* either because you're trying to jump straight from 1* to a 3* roster, or because you've been remarkably successful at covering 2* inside of a month.

Yeah, I can understand but it just a disappointment to win a 2* especially for the special tokens like the ultron one where you can win hp or ironman but instead get moonstone. I was working on 3* stars. I was very successful using 2* thor, obw, ares and storm.

Oh, certainly. I get that feeling with DDQ on PC, too. I'll be trying to add covers for the 3* focus characters, or maybe get some hero points, and I'll get, like. Ares. Ad infinitum, Ares. If I had one 3* cover for every 10 Ares covers I've pulled in this game, I think I'd have more than 4 3* characters with 10+ covers on PC. Seriously.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mrx0 wrote:

1.) Time =/= reward.

This game was fun and I can see why. The Ultron event was great and fun to play. But unfortunately, it doesn't feel like the game rewards the effort you put in. You can put in a ton of effort and in the end get nowhere.

Were you actually expecting to hit end-game status in 35 days? Being a transitioner 2* player is a very good spot to find yourself at after a month of playing and goes to show how easier has Demiurge make things for beginning players. One month after I started, a year and a half ago, I think the best I had was a couple level 40-50 2*s. Maybe I had one random 3* cover. I'm not sure how much quicker anyone could expect the game to be? You'd reach 3*-4* transition in a couple months and then what? At that point the game wouldn't be adding new characters and content fast enough for you not to catch up immediately and you'd be super bored.
  • Unknown
    Options
    There was a 3* only token once upon a time, lightning rounds rewarded them.

I think the devs should change how tokens are pulled, now there are so many characters floating around its rare you get a gold token and even rarer its of a character you need then it needs to be a cover you need as well, good luck.

I suggest changing it so a gold token now opens a character and you then choose the cover you wish for it, this removes the disapointment you get opening a cover you dont need, and lets be honest, there's nothing worse..

Or even a significantly reduced chance of getting a character you already have 13 covers for.
  • Unknown
    Options
    F2p games never really reward the time you put in compared to other games, but guess that is why they are f2p and not £40 or whatever. I mean you could accelerate your progress by throwing money at the game, but if you play for free you have to accept these things will take time. As others have said, your progress is WAY quicker in the first month than had you started this game a few months back.

I hope you find something that rewards you in a better timeframe for you.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:

When I first started playing, there was NO cover expiry. The 7 day token expiry was added some time later, maybe around 'true' healing.
    However, this led to all sorts of database issues with people having thousands of opened covers -> they weren't anticipating that level of hoarding.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I put a suggestion up over in that section that addresses the token problem

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28668
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    F2p games never really reward the time you put in compared to other games, but guess that is why they are f2p and not £40 or whatever.
    Pretty much. F2P games, at their core, are all about putting psychological pressure on the player to spend money. Hand out just enough free stuff to keep the player hooked, but make it very hard to actually get anywhere without hitting that "BUY NOW!" button.

While I'm still a bit dubious on this game's future, it seems to do a little better at avoiding the problem that other games have where the mega-spenders completely "lap the field", so to speak, amassing such an impossibly powerful roster that new players have absolutely zero hope of ever competing. PVE events don't necessarily get dominated by those players due to scaling, and they largely have to beat on each other in PVP.

The last F2P game I played was Star Wars: Force Collection. When I started, 4* was top of the hill with a few rare but not totally OP 5*. When I quit, the game was flooded with 5* that almost never dropped for free players, and the top decks were all wall-to-wall mega-powerful 5*. There was no hope for a free player to make progress any longer unless you were willing to grind 8+ hours a day.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Get no where without paying $$$$$$$$$$$. Like $100 a char $$$$$$$$$$$ LMAO

Then, if you spend $$$$$$$$$$$$. Devs nerf your purchase and make your roster worthless again. This is MPQ.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    35 days and he's out? I remember that I didn't even have the Dark Reign PvE stuff done by then. Times have changed.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey all thanks for the comments. Yeah 35 days isn't a lot when compare to others. But I did play a lot and have a good grasp of the mechanics.
    Yeah I didn't expect beat it in 35 days and have every character. But I do like having a goal/progression to aim for like the story mode or boss ultron. Unfortunately after completing the story, its a daily grind to get random covers. I probably would of stay longer if I could see that I could max specific covers, that would be fun. For example hulk bombing sounds fun but I only have 1 hulk cover and no patch. It would probably take a 2 months or more to get all of their covers. Can't really wait that long.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My gosh, 35 days and you have 3* and 4* characters waiting to be added? That is so different from way back when I started and it took me months to get my first maxed 2* much less to make any meaningful progress on 3* characters. This is a game that requires patience, sorry that you're not having enough fun to make that commitment.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Back in the day the vets took much longer to get to the land of 3*s but the majority of the game was people with 2*s so having a strong 2* roster was exactly what you needed at the time, and the game was fun then. I really don't envy the idea of starting the 3* transition now. You need to make a slot for just about everyone up front, instead of having several covers of a few 3*s because there really weren't that many choices. Now you will get one or two covers for dozens of characters long before you will have any of those 3*s useful. Ignoring the walls in pvp and all other issues, how is a new player supposed to manage a roster. Pick 10-15 people and literally sell everyone else? Curse the RNG gods if they give you 13 Squirrel girls but you sold the first 5 because she wasn't on the list and no one else on your roster is above 7-8 covers after months and months of work?
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't mind a slow progression. I am still within my first two weeks, and am delighted when I get new covers and enjoy my non-pay naturalist progression. (Not to say that I don't support D3, I've bought a bunch of their games. But free games stay free in my world, or else I'd go broke fast). My biggest frustration is when my phone actually goes into rest mode because the enemy has been chaining attacks for so long. I usually with retreat from that fight, because that kind of **** will just continue throughout the match, and it's not fun. It's fun when I do it, but it is so rare, even when I sit and study the tiles and how they'll drop... not enough to make me quit... but, after it happens a few times I am pretty much done for a while. Unless I am fighting Moonstone, then I'll watch the pictures of her beating me up and then take a break.