Tokens should offer choice of cover

Azoic
Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
Ok, so tokens are going to start including all characters, so no more hoarding tokens hoping for that elusive color cover you need when your character is unvaulted. I think tokens need to yield the option to pick one cover for the character found in the token--make them special and not so random. There are what, 36 3*s now? So IF you get a gold token, you have a 1/108 chance of getting a cover you need? Give the character a credit to be spent instead. This will also increase your sales of 10/42 packs, since people will have a lot better chance at getting something useful out of them.

Keep event awards as they are, so you can have goals to nab a specific cover you need. However, it is really horrible when a gold pops up, and finally your character!!! Oh wait, it is the 8th red and you have yet to nab a green. I have several characters that are missing colors, and it isn't even like there is an option to purchase it.

Comments

• blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    I don't know what to say, other than "Yes, please."
  • Probably the best idea ever...
  • Inarius
    Inarius Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    this would be the holy grail....which is why it will never be included T-T

greed before need
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    I have been pretty fed up with the company for the month of April, but I don't think this is a reasonable request. And it's not because they are greedy. It's because they have a speed that they hope for people to get covers, and part of that is getting doubles the further you progress.

Personally, I'd love an option to remove characters off of my cover pulls. I'm sick of selling off Hulks, Mystiques and Lakens I can't use. Then I'd only get covers I need. But, they aren't going to do that because it would hurt the longterm prospects of the game.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Azoic wrote:
    Ok, so tokens are going to start including all characters, so no more hoarding tokens hoping for that elusive color cover you need when your character is unvaulted. I think tokens need to yield the option to pick one cover for the character found in the token--make them special and not so random. There are what, 36 3*s now? So IF you get a gold token, you have a 1/108 chance of getting a cover you need? Give the character a credit to be spent instead. This will also increase your sales of 10/42 packs, since people will have a lot better chance at getting something useful out of them.

Keep event awards as they are, so you can have goals to nab a specific cover you need. However, it is really horrible when a gold pops up, and finally your character!!! Oh wait, it is the 8th red and you have yet to nab a green. I have several characters that are missing colors, and it isn't even like there is an option to purchase it.

Or put heroes into groups, and if you pull a token from that group, you get to choose a cover from that specific group.

We have to leave a little to providence, that is half the fun.

That being said.. in the past 2 weeks, i have sold a couple SG yellows, a Kamala green, and a mystique black.. i seem to only pull what i already have..
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Inarius wrote:
    this would be the holy grail....which is why it will never be included

To the OP's point, the issue is exacerbated due to the growth in number of characters. With fewer characters, it was less of an issue. Stuff took time, but growth was possible. With more characters, it means that progressing a particular power is now much less likely than it was, say four months ago (among several other frustrating consequences of character creep).

The lowered chance to get a second cover in a 3* (again, due to more characters) is one of the purported reasons for Deadpool Daily. As it stands, mid-tier and younger players have to sell more 3* covers for roster reasons, as they're less likely to get duplicates (again, improved slightly with the cheaper roster slot change).

However, fully covering a character is still a problem, that could use an additional tweak, IMHO.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about something like this. When you draw a 4* cover, you have the option to take the mystery 4* prize, or choose a 3* cover.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about a once-per-day redraw option? You can't stockpile them; you get one per day per * level, whether you use them or not. Select your unwanted cover from your unclaimed inventory, click "Redraw" and it gets exchanged for another random cover (any character, any colour) at the same *.

That shouldn't be too unreasonable. Many players won't even use it every day, but it would take the sting off seeing that same colour again, knowing you had one more shot to get something else, anything else, you could use.

Of course, the day would come where you'd click "Redraw" on your 8th Hulk Green, and just get your 7th Blade Black. Tomorrow you'd trade in the Blade for something else.
  • What about a certain number of tokens translating into something else?

Trading in:

[x] Regular tokens earns you [y] next level token, and,

[x] next level earns you [y] highest level, and,

[x] highest level earns you [y] guaranteed random 3*, and,

[x] 3* earns you [y] guaranteed (not sure how to specify this, but in a general sense anyway) cover?

Something like this would allow players to essentially "shrink" the statistical probabilities without making it "too easy" to progress. You'd still have to grind, there'd still be risk, but you'd have control over making your chances better or standing pat and taking your chances in the " big pool."

Frankly, even if you took the last progression off my "chart," you'd still be earning your way up to far better odds, considering the final pool would have only 3*s in it.

BTW, I intentionally omitted 4*s, mainly because this seemed more universally palatable (player or developer) with 3*s. Not sure if the devs would go for guaranteed 4*s. icon_e_wink.gif lol

I don't know how or if this would work, but it could potentially strike a balance between D3 continuing to earn money from IAPs, giving players more control and optimism, and would still maintain the general concept and framework of transition.

Anyhoo, just throwing it out there.

DBC