Is this kind of ineptitude acceptable anywhere else?

Options
2»

Comments

• Whether or not the excuses are accepted, will be determined by what the compensation is for the problems.

What many fail to realize is that this is a COMPETITIVE game. There were many people who were able to play this event just fine until the last few hours. They now have a competitive advantage.

Some alliances were already set to run an event like this ahead of time. Most were not. The info was given much to late to reorganize your alliance for optimal play of the event.

Some players did not get awarded points toward the event total when they completed missions.

Many players grinded equally hard for rewards and got much less, than they should have, through no fault of their own.

Basically, there is literally NO way to straighten out this mess. What they will most likely do is offer covers to people. This again reinforces the advantage of those who already had advantage. When you consider the fact that the next run will probably concentrate on SW, that makes it even worse.

The only way that they could fairly compensate is to find out who was able to do what, and who was not able to, during the event. This isn't even totally legit, as there were alliances where some members were able to play and others weren't... and it would take way too much time and effort to figure all of this out.

They are basically now in a full on lose/lose situation... Considering all the tinykitty they have pulled of late, I sincerely doubt they will need to worry about such server traffic in the future... as in, the player base is about to shrink beyond D3's worst nightmare.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thank you so much for the laugh. I couldn't bring myself to respond that post...

I hand typed all of those tinykitties, I'll have you know. If they ever turn off the filters, all they'll ever find from me is more tinykitty.
  • PS why did D3 the same firm that made the Obamacare website such a success? icon_e_confused.gif
  • I get that it's frustrating. I'm sorry that you can't connect. I'm sorry that you're missing event rewards.

But as a software developer calling what happened here ineptitude is not really called for. They had more participation than anticipated. This is the best problem to have. It means that MPQ is a healthy game and that the developers can create events that draw in new players and/or cause lapsed players to return.

Servers go down. Code gets tested and works in the test environment and then fails in production. It stinks, but it happens. With complex code there is no way to exhaustively test. Or rather, there is no way to affordably exhaustively test. Releases would be spaced further apart, new event types and heroes would take longer to come out, and everybody would (in my opinion) have less fun.

There is stuff to fix, certainly (Ultron bombs exploding when matched on the bottom row, Ulron sometimes yielding zero points when on defeat, server stability and availability), and I'm sure they're trying. Instead of responding to every post here they're out there trying to fix the problems. There's a limited number of developers, and a limited amount of time. Honestly, I'd rather they were at their desks trying to fix it instead of out here replying and apologizing over and over.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thamanator wrote:
    What many fail to realize is that this is a COMPETITIVE game. There were many people who were able to play this event just fine until the last few hours. They now have a competitive advantage.
    You see now, that's the problem with this Forum in a nutshell. Other people aren't allowed to enjoy the game, or be rewarded, because it "hurts" your competitive edge. It's why there are so many threads from disgruntled players that won't quit the game, but constantly urge others to quit playing.

In any competition, one way to win is to make everyone else lose, even if it means hurting yourself. The term for this is Spite.

MPQ is so entrenched in competitive play that it invites a toxic attitude on the Forum. I admit that. But you, as a self-aware human being, should be able to see through that. Just let people "unlock" parts of the game without feeling bad for yourself. You have that power within yourself. We all do.

EDIT1: Sorry, Thamanator. This post wan't about you, personally. It's about this thread and this Forum. And you're right, there is no way for everyone to win. Despite that, I simply think that everyone would benefit from worrying less about how everyone else is benefiting.

EDIT2: To be clear: I wasn't calling anyone a spiteful person btw. I was talking game-theory, which has a term called spite. I should have made that clear.
  • Thamanator wrote:
    They are basically now in a full on lose/lose situation... Considering all the tinykitty they have pulled of late, I sincerely doubt they will need to worry about such server traffic in the future... as in, the player base is about to shrink beyond D3's worst nightmare.

It's a lose-lose situation that they brought upon themselves so it's not our problem.

I thought it's funny people who already have the SW covers are talking about how traffic will get worse. No, if you don't have a SW cover you won't be bothering to participating in the next Ultron event at all. It's not hard to do some simple math to figure out that missing 2 out of 5 essential pins means if you missed SW the first time around you're definitely not hitting IMHB at all. And that's assuming you somehow totally didn't care about being denied a cover to quit the game in the first place.

This is a lose-lose situation though it's about to get remedied really fast one way or another since the IMHB event is starting in approximately an hour.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Thamanator wrote:

It's a lose-lose situation that they brought upon themselves so it's not our problem.

I thought it's funny people who already have the SW covers are talking about how traffic will get worse. No, if you don't have a SW cover you won't be bothering to participating in the next Ultron event at all. It's not hard to do some simple math to figure out that missing 2 out of 5 essential pins means if you missed SW the first time around you're definitely not hitting IMHB at all. And that's assuming you somehow totally didn't care about being denied a cover to quit the game in the first place.

This is a lose-lose situation though it's about to get remedied really fast one way or another since the IMHB event is starting in approximately an hour.

Not true, you didn't need Quicksilver to get SW. Just needed to be in an Alliance that could down all the versions of Ultron. Also, could've gotten a lucky SW from any of the event tokens. Hell, my SW is more developed than my QS right now.
  • MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's plainly obvious that the only compensation that D3 can offer us to make us all happy is a tiny kitten for everyone. Seeing all these tinykitties all over the place makes me want to go adopt one.
  • Good tinykitty, this is so tinykitty tinykitty that I tinykitty my tinykitty. TINYKITTY!
    Thank you so much for the laugh. I couldn't bring myself to respond that post...

The way I see it, a certain group of people at Demiurge actually deserve a bonus for bringing in so many players that they broke the servers for the first time in a long time. Yes, they broke the servers, which is annoying to players... and CS is going to have their hands full until en masse compensation is awarded. But MPQ did a good thing with this Event and player participation proves it. Even the usual suspects are still here and playing the game despite their never-ending disappointment.

This thread also made me realize that MPQ has been pretty darn stable in recent months. I think I can count more times that I've turned off Hearthstone because of server issues than MPQ and I play that game 1/10th as much as MPQ.

If I wrote a letter the Blizzard every time I lost a Heathstone match because of connection issues...

I'm not playing now. The game was stable, but the last two months have pretty much pushed me out the door. The only good thing I see is that they brought in more people. That really doesn't affect me or my gaming experience so I don't see much positive.
  • GuntherBlobel:
    Wow... way to misjudge the **** out of my post...

I do not have spite for anyone that got said extra advantages... I have spite for those that made it happen. If you actually read my post without pre-judging you would have been able to see that. I do not want ANYONE to get less than they deserve from any event in this game. But everyone has to be under the same standards and rules, or else the whole system breaks down... Some people got to play under the standard where they actually received what the game told them they would as they played. Many did not. Some experienced 95% of the intended experience, most got more in the neighborhood of 65%. Some of us poor tinykitties got more like 35%.

I understand that my being self employed and working 14 hours or more often hurts my chances at MPQ. I bear no grudge over that whatsoever. When the game fails to even allow me the time I have available... that is another matter entirely. When I win 4 matches in a row and get zero points... that is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

If you don't like competition then don't play a competitive game... you did not read into my post, you wrote into it. If you see spite, when people just want legitimate equal opportunity, maybe you are the problem. Equal opportunity is a REQUIREMENT for a competitive game. It is not rocket science. It does not take psycho-analysis. It is just common sense.
  • MikeG72 wrote:
    It's plainly obvious that the only compensation that D3 can offer us to make us all happy is a tiny kitten for everyone. Seeing all these tinykitties all over the place makes me want to go adopt one.

But my wife is allergic, thanks Oba...err D3!
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Thamanator wrote:

if it goes like the previous version you should be able to pick up a sw at the 500000 progression only 5 ppl in out alliance started with qs most got from rewards to start hitting all five 5 at refreshers at day 3. grindy but do able.
  • MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MikeG72 wrote:

But my wife is allergic, thanks Oba...err D3!

I'm sure that D3 could reach deep into their coffers to get you one of those hypo-allergenic kittens.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it largely depends on the industry, in this case you get what you pay for...Wait a second I digress to all the nerfing threads, bad example.

Unexpected volumes causing outages is an example of failure to perform proper load/benchmark testing. IMHO not acceptable, but I work for a bank and outages are no-nos
  • Unsurprisingly my posts seem to be being deleted. Doesn't change the fact that I've been saying for months that this excuse for a company has been circling in the bowl and this situation does nothing but prove it.
  • Hopefully these guys take this as a wake up call to do their jobs.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Unsurprisingly my posts seem to be being deleted. Doesn't change the fact that I've been saying for months that this excuse for a company has been circling in the bowl and this situation does nothing but prove it.

It IS unsurprising. I've read some of your backlog. If I was a mod, I'd probably delete most of your offensive, non-constructive, insulting posts as well. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you want respect, try to construct your posts better.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I understand game companies have coding issues and run into many other problems, that isn't my issue.

My issue is that I try to be very competitive in as many events as I can, but it feels like none of that matters if they don't fix the time we've lost. They didn't let us have a few more hours in last event with all the downtime problems, didn't reward us for the Covers we could have earned if we had had more time...nothing.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I make a mistake in my job it gets overlooked in general. If I make the same mistake twice my line manager will have a quiet word with me, if I continue to screw up I get a verbal warning and then more severe disciplinary measures are put into effect. As a returning player from a 6 month break I was not shocked at all by the complete hash that was AvU and it has me really considering if I made a grevious error in giving the game a second chance as to me it seems as though in the last 6 months Demiurge has not changed their modus operandi.