We need a flurry of red posts

Jasonzakibe
Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
It's beyond believable how bad this is. I had given up a while ago, but I thought you may have learned something. This is just the same old sad story. If you were all over the forums apologizing and otherwise being cool, it would be different. You can't prevent all problems, but you have full control over how you respond to them.

Comments

• Shouldn't there be some guy on stand by just to make sure someone is alerted of something like this happening? No I don't really expect them to be able to fix it right away, but they should definitely be aware and let everyone know they're doing whatever they can to address it.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Shouldn't there be some guy on stand by just to make sure someone is alerted of something like this happening? No I don't really expect them to be able to fix it right away, but they should definitely be aware and let everyone know they're doing whatever they can to address it.

If I'm not mistaken, it was almost a year ago that their lack of communication prompted them to hire a full time community manager. I wonder what position they'll hire for this year?
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Mawtful wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Shouldn't there be some guy on stand by just to make sure someone is alerted of something like this happening? No I don't really expect them to be able to fix it right away, but they should definitely be aware and let everyone know they're doing whatever they can to address it.

If I'm not mistaken, it was almost a year ago that their lack of communication prompted them to hire a full time community manager. I wonder what position they'll hire for this year?

Just a guess -- router? Networking switch?
  • otrigorin
    otrigorin Posts: 31
    If I had to choose between having the staff spending time on the forums soothing my bruised fee fees, and staff sitting in a room trying to troubleshoot the **** servers... well, I know which one I'm gonna pick.

Some sort of "Guys, we're working on it" post would be lovely, and I seem to recall them doing that on Thursday. But I'm not worried if they're busy solving the problem.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Even if there is no guy staffed for a position, shouldn't one of those guys say, 'hey, this Ultron event is like the biggest thing we ever ran, let's see how it's going?' back at home?
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    otrigorin wrote:
    If I had to choose between having the staff spending time on the forums soothing my bruised fee fees, and staff sitting in a room trying to troubleshoot the tinykitty servers... well, I know which one I'm gonna pick.

Some sort of "Guys, we're working on it" post would be lovely, and I seem to recall them doing that on Thursday. But I'm not worried if they're busy solving the problem.

It takes one minute to drop in and update us. It's not that hard. I'm beginning to wonder if they even know there's a problem. I'm picturing an empty office, the phone ringing and some dude comes to work in the morning to see all of this.

We're nearly 4 hours into the outage and it's the end of a major, and majoryly glitchy event. You would think *someone* would be babysitting it all.
  • Nighthawk81
    Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    otrigorin wrote:
    If I had to choose between having the staff spending time on the forums soothing my bruised fee fees, and staff sitting in a room trying to troubleshoot the tinykitty servers... well, I know which one I'm gonna pick.

But how hard is it to pop in for 10 seconds to post that? It's not.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    $100 the cleaner unplugged something.....
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Do we even know how many people work at D3? I'm just remembering their video they made for the Ultron event announcement. It looked and sounded like it was done in a conference room on someone's smartphone. I don't know if these guys are as numerous or have as much money as we might think. icon_razz.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Just a guess -- router? Networking switch?

I hear AWS has some good deals on hosting scalable, load balanced solutions.
    Phantron wrote:
    Even if there is no guy staffed for a position, shouldn't one of those guys say, 'hey, this Ultron event is like the biggest thing we ever ran, let's see how it's going?' back at home?

Agreed.

I wonder if anyone's called Marvel? I'm sure they'd prompt a response fairly quickly.
  • otrigorin wrote:

It takes one minute to drop in and update us. It's not that hard. I'm beginning to wonder if they even know there's a problem. I'm picturing an empty office, the phone ringing and some dude comes to work in the morning to see all of this.

We're nearly 4 hours into the outage and it's the end of a major, and majoryly glitchy event. You would think *someone* would be babysitting it all.

LOL! Oh my god, this line : "I'm picturing an empty office, the phone ringing and some dude comes to work in the morning to see all of this."

I can't stop laughing because now I'm picturing it!

Thank you sir, I needed a good laugh after all this ****.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    We need a stickied post under Bugs and Tech that reports the real time status of the game, whether server is up, down, or anything that is worth updating unsuspecting users who are doubting their own connection. It shouldn't take a lot to maintain, any red can even update that post on remote once he has word from the hamster on standby.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    We need a stickied post under Bugs and Tech that reports the real time status of the game, whether server is up, down, or anything that is worth updating unsuspecting users who are doubting their own connection. It shouldn't take a lot to maintain, any red can even update that post on remote once he has word from the hamster on standby.
    Real devs would automate it so the post was updated without manual intervention. There's no reason why someone has to physically check if a server is up or down for that fact to be reported.
  • So, what's the consensus? Can I go to bed and know that they messed up SW for me, or do I need to wait for the bitter end to find out if my alliance actually unlocked it and I need to clear prime? Anyone have a feel on that?
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    $100 the cleaner unplugged something.....

So, there's this government building in Tuvalu, next to the airport, and right in the centre there's an air-conditioned server room. The building power is turned off every evening when they go home, except for the server room, which is quite important to keep running. Back in July 2012 a night watchman turned off the wrong switch. To quote the email I got, "it killed all the systems!".

It took weeks to get them all back up and running.

So yeah, I could see a cleaner being the problem.
  • Sword user wrote:
    So, what's the consensus? Can I go to bed and know that they messed up SW for me, or do I need to wait for the bitter end to find out if my alliance actually unlocked it and I need to clear prime? Anyone have a feel on that?

I say have a nice night cause my money says you won't find anything to make you any happier staying here.
  • I'm sorry but REAL developers would not let this happen. I feel like we are always just supposed to say "oh well, it's a new event, we know there will be problems...". I have paid real money to play this game, and like any other product that is defective, I want a refund. I am the customer...what ever happened to " the customer is always right?!" Come on D3...make this right.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    wonka31 wrote:
    I'm sorry but REAL developers would not let this happen. I feel like we are always just supposed to say "oh well, it's a new event, we know there will be problems...". I have paid real money to play this game, and like any other product that is defective, I want a refund. I am the customer...what ever happened to " the customer is always right?!" Come on D3...make this right.

Guess you weren't a Warcraft player when the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj opened. (Or is Blizzard not a "REAL developer"? icon_twisted.gif )
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    wuweird wrote:
    Real devs would automate it so the post was updated without manual intervention. There's no reason why someone has to physically check if a server is up or down for that fact to be reported.

Probably not the most wise move on their part to have every single bug alert broadcasted to us, fully automated and non-moderated. On their record, it might turn out to be the biggest spam post here, which would in turn, er, crash the forum servers.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just saw David's name in the list of users online. Now he's gone again.