GSBW is thumbs up, but IronMan is...

wirius
wirius Posts: 667
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
...thumbs down. You kept them both out of rotation for a month, and didn't buff either of them. This was o.k., because the health buff really helped GSBW, and I feel she's a lot better for pve now. I feel Ironman is still terrible though. Anyone else?

Comments

• He hits hard, which I like, but powers cost too much and I don't like reducing other AP to use his abilities.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    If they want to keep his power costs, that's fine, but they need to make his powers do more damage. In fact, I think it would be great to have a 20 cost blue that did the hood damage to everyone on the other team. But as it is now, its too much cost for too little effect.
  • anamosity
    anamosity Posts: 87
    Especially in AvU where both my LCap and IM40 were at the same level and I was often presented with the option in red of throwing my shield and returning most of the AP after the countdown or losing AP in all colours, and they both did the same amount of damage. It doesn't make sense.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    The health buff was their lazy shortcut to do across the board "balancing". Unsurprisingly, the lazy shortcut led to inconsistent results.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    wirius wrote:
    ...thumbs down. You kept them both out of rotation for a month, and didn't buff either of them. This was o.k., because the health buff really helped GSBW, and I feel she's a lot better for pve now. I feel Ironman is still terrible though. Anyone else?

IM40 only served one purpose for me, and that was to act as a battery for both Gamora and Spidey in Essential nodes. I have my IM40 as 5/5/3, so his yellow delivers red/blue/green. I used him as a combatant only when Gamora was downed.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    He's pretty bad and there's very little hope he gets a buff now, with Hulkbuster coming out. They won't want an older cover competing with a new one.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would've preferred IM40 to IM35 in Ultron. I know they let you use him for one or two of the rotations but every time it said "Iron Man" it was the damn 35 version. 1 time I didn't pay attention and I fired his yellow thinking it was recharge.

IM40 needs help but he's still serviceable due to how good Recharge is. He's definitely getting some use in this heroic sub.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    dkffiv wrote:
    I would've preferred IM40 to IM35 in Ultron. I know they let you use him for one or two of the rotations but every time it said "Iron Man" it was the damn 35 version. 1 time I didn't pay attention and I fired his yellow thinking it was recharge.

IM40 needs help but he's still serviceable due to how good Recharge is. He's definitely getting some use in this heroic sub.

... you weren't able to swap out for the other versions of Iron Man? I was never forced to play with IM35...
  • Mine is 5/5/1 he is fantastic red support. I almost want to level him up more so he can tank more colors but at any level one yellow cover works great.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    wirius wrote:
    If they want to keep his power costs, that's fine, but they need to make his powers do more damage. In fact, I think it would be great to have a 20 cost blue that did the hood damage to everyone on the other team. But as it is now, its too much cost for too little effect.

I respectfully disagree. Hood dmg is 5k+. IM40's blue attack is aoe, plus stun for 1 target. If you jack up the aoe dmg further, he's going to be unbalanced in my view, because remember that his yellow recharge can add blue aps and therefore 20 blue aps isn't as difficult to accumulate as one would think.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    dkffiv wrote:

I've used IM40 a lot in the ultron essentials. His blue aoe is powerful and his red isn't too difficult to trigger either.
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    There were a few times when the game picked IM35 for me, but I was able to switch it back to IM40. I think it was because I used 35 in the DDQ 1* node.
  • Thor82
    Thor82 Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    I got so upset with Iron Man I sold my Maxed out 166 IM40 two days before the Ultron event. Powers cost too much, then reduced every other AP. No thanks.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    I've never liked Model 43 as a lead as his powers are too expensive like everyone says.
    But I found he's a great assist to Cyclops and Classic Magneto. He will charge their redflag.pngblueflag.png abilities. If he's my only character with blueflag.png, I rarely acquire enough to execute that blue unless I get deep in Ultron waves.
    He deserves a tweak: cheaper AP costs. Otherwise he will always be in the friend-zone.

Hulkbuster looks pretty amazing. Wish he didn't hurt himself though. But it is a balance and makes sense for the character.

GSBW was amazing in the Ultron (bomb dropping) event. I really appreciate her now and couldn't have gotten through it without her.

Thor82: Why would you sell any *** character? With all the essentials for every event, you need a complete roster to compete. I only have my top ten at level 142 and it's taken a lot of work. Couldn't imagine selling any of them even my Groot and Cyclops doubles.
  • I was going trough in my head and I think the best way to fix him is to lower he's ap needed for he's yellow and blue. In the movies he's always a fast shooting characters so if he's ap was lower he could feel more natural. Red not drain ap but stun him for 2 turns but not end turn at max covers, yellow from 12 to 9 and at max level only restore 2 ap of each color and not three and after gaining ap end turn, no stun and he's blue should be slice in 1/3 damage and 1/3 ap needed and no AI stun.

Actually a good way to buff a character that needs a lot of ap to fire of he's power can be easily resolved by cutting the cost and damage dealt. But there are some exceptions like cage, and hood.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    d0nk3y wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

... you weren't able to swap out for the other versions of Iron Man? I was never forced to play with IM35...

Yeah, the nodes aren't a specific character. Just...the character. So "Thor" you could use 2* or 3* (didn't check 4*). Iron Man you could use 1* or 3*. Black Widow...any of them worked.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    IM 40 is actually one of my faves. I've continued to enjoy using him with StormNeto, especially during the Big Enchilada of DDQ.
  • Now I feel like a dolt because I never tried to swap out characters for their alternate versions.

It makes perfect sense that you can in this event, so time to make fun of myself!