Medpacks need to go

They're basically ruining the game and they serve no actual purpose other than to make us pity the greed it would take to include such an obvious money grab game mechanic. You aren't candy crush, don't try to be candy crush. Medpacks rule the game, and it makes no damn sense. I shouldn't be playing this game looking for the easiest risk-free battles I can find, but thats what medpacks force me to do. Go smash the easiest thing you can that won't do any dmg to you, because once you take enough dmg, we cut you off. Nothing about these things are even remotely helpful for the fun of the game, and that is still the objective, right? Fun?

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I disagree.

I rather have the med packs than some energy system.

Conservation of med packs (and dmg mitigation) forms a part of the meta game.

If you don't have health packs and you are heal after every game, then we will be using 3 heroes forever. There's no variety... And there is no point in roster depth.

Edit: and med pack a cash grab? Please, how many of you have purchase health packs and purchased it on a regular basis? Probably only 1% of the entire mpq population buy health packs on a regular basis. They have mentioned that health packs and boosts do not form a major part of their revenue. Stop calling health packs a cash grab... Because they are not. They are a mechanics for them to make losses count for something, and also to give incentive to roster depth.
  • Medpacks force me to use the same 3 guys more than anything. If you don't use the strongest team every time you increase the odds of losing and having to use medpacks or having to go do something else. The events focus on this even more. You have to use pumped up characters, and often that leaves you with only one usable team.

Why would the alternative be an energy system and not just letting us play the game? I don't think anyone wants the game to decide whether or not they can play it at any given time.

Also, we don't need medpacks to make us not want to lose or want more hero slots. Losing already gives you nothing for the game, and having a low amount of hero slots means you'll be throwing away characters left and right. I really don't think those things need any extra emphasis.
  • atomzed
    Medpacks force me to use the same 3 guys more than anything. If you don't use the strongest team every time you increase the odds of losing and having to use medpacks or having to go do something else. The events focus on this even more. You have to use pumped up characters, and often that leaves you with only one usable team.

I will just respond to this part.... It is true that when you only have 3 level 94 character 2*, you have to use all 3. But when you have sufficient roster depth, you can rotate among different heroes.

I was grinding Ultron pve, playing first avenger pvp, and also oscorp heroic, with only 5 health packs. I got too 5 in first avenger, got 4th among my alliance mates in Ultron pve, and still challenging for top 100 (which was my aim cos I only need shehulk green). All with the same 5 health packs as you. How do I do that? Through rotation of hero, and tactical use of med packs.

I only bought *one* health pack in my entire 400 days of play and I doubt I have to do it again.

I am not going to engage in a long discussion with you on this, cos our views differ greatly.... May be the others can hop in to support your view or support my view.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Characters that survive the fight should auto heal for the next fight. Health packs should only need to be used to revive downed characters.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Characters that survive the fight should auto heal for the next fight. Health packs should only need to be used to revive downed characters.

Well, if not auto-heal, then partial heal (10%?). If done on a percentage basis, it would have diminishing returns, to prevent dropping in to the intro battles briefly to heal. Alternatively, make it a larger percentage (50%?) of damage taken in that battle.

A different tack would be to persist the OBW and Kahn heals past the battle ...
  • atomzed wrote:

I will just respond to this part.... It is true that when you only have 3 level 94 character 2*, you have to use all 3. But when you have sufficient roster depth, you can rotate among different heroes.

I have zero level 94 heroes. My highest level is 70 because they started at 70. I have played this game over 100 hours. Since that is obviously far from enough to have significant roster depth, I think the system needs to change. Events buff very small selections of heroes then put enemies that are so high level that only those heroes can handle it. Ultron is horrible. PvP either gives me lv 2 opponents or level 70 ones. Almost the entire game is a medpack draining machine, unless you count smashing level 20 story missions with level 40 guys as normal gameplay.

I don't understand how any game could have a mechanic that tries to get you to avoid challenging yourself, and people actually defend this thing.
  • atomzed
    atomzed wrote:

I have zero level 94 heroes. My highest level is 70 because they started at 70. I have played this game over 100 hours. Since that is obviously far from enough to have significant roster depth, I think the system needs to change. Events buff very small selections of heroes then put enemies that are so high level that only those heroes can handle it. Ultron is horrible. PvP either gives me lv 2 opponents or level 70 ones. Almost the entire game is a medpack draining machine, unless you count smashing level 20 story missions with level 40 guys as normal gameplay.

I don't understand how any game could have a mechanic that tries to get you to avoid challenging yourself, and people actually defend this thing.

You are only seeing the med packs from your perspective at a very low end of the progression. Since you are at such a low level, I can understand that you have difficulty playing more than a few games.

I see this as an intended effect. This is what forces you to upgrade your roster, by levelling your heroes (having more hp which allows you to play longer), or by recruiting more heroes (so you can rotate).

If there is no medpacks and your heroes don't lose HP, then why do you want to have more heroes? You can just use your top 3 heroes every single game... That may be what you want, but it is not healthy for the game, imho.

As to jamie proposal about using health packs for downed heroes only, I think it is worth exploring. Someone also mentioned that another variation is having the heroes recoup some hp after each battle. That may work too.
  • atomzed wrote:
    You are only seeing the med packs from your perspective at a very low end of the progression. Since you are at such a low level, I can understand that you have difficulty playing more than a few games.

I see this as an intended effect. This is what forces you to upgrade your roster, by levelling your heroes (having more hp which allows you to play longer), or by recruiting more heroes (so you can rotate).

If there is no medpacks and your heroes don't lose HP, then why do you want to have more heroes? You can just use your top 3 heroes every single game... That may be what you want, but it is not healthy for the game, imho.

As to jamie proposal about using health packs for downed heroes only, I think it is worth exploring. Someone also mentioned that another variation is having the heroes recoup some hp after each battle. That may work too.

I've played this game about 140 hours. There is no way I am at a "very low end" of the progression. You need to get lucky to level up characters apart from the worthless 1 star ones they give you hundreds of copies of for some reason. My highest character at 70 is a 4 star cover, meaning I will never get another copy of that character thanks to the nonsensical system. So I have to ride this guy with one pretty lame skill forever just because he has more hp than anyone else. Medpacks are doing this. If I didn't have to worry about medpacks, I could use a team that I actually wanted to use. I absolutely despise using the same characters every single game, and medpacks combined with the unreasonabale random featured characters getting artificial level boosts are doing just that. There is no way removing medpacks would make anyone use their top 3 guys more than they already have to thanks to the system being designed to punish taking risks.

People are going to want to get more characters without some garbage mechanic trying to force them to do so. There are plenty of mechanics to use and alot of characters that excel at different things. The game itself would have plenty reason to switch teams and use many different setups without random punishments. In addition, this is a Marvel product. I'd be willing to bet plenty of players are going to want to use their favorite characters more than whichever 2 stars they randomly got the most of. Leveling your heroes is also mandatory with or without a medpack system due to the way the enemy levels get ramped up, so medpacks wouldn't suddenly remove the need for that either.
  • The crazy swordsman has a point. I'm at about 300 days. And that's with nearly a month-long hiatus when I hit feed up with the game at one point.

I've hated the way we're forced to use health packs since I started this game. And to argue that it's okay for somebody on the low end of progression to feel this way is nonsensical. It's completely counter-intuitive to hinder a newer player. The devs should WANT them to get addicted and drawn in, not wait-gate them. If the devs have acknowledged that health packs aren't bringing in substantial revenue, then it's time to make an adjustment. Because right now, they're just a frustration.

Have you tried looking at how long it takes a one star character to heal naturally recently? I only have one of the bastards anymore, because with all the new characters, a 45 slot roster isn't big enough. Last time I had my iron man near zero, it said itwould take OVER EIGHT HOURS for him to heal naturally. Why? When nobody buys health packs...

I think the people drawn to this game know better than to spend their money that way. I'm sure a lot are turned away because of this system that refuses to let them play. Those of us who get sucked in to start give it long enough that it soon becomes less of an issue. I only joined to play with a friend.

In short, I think the best solution is to allow for auto healing of characters who aren't knocked out during a fight. Then a health pack is needed. I completely agree that I feel I need to constantly use my strongest team, so my roster depth means nothing right now. I also agree that if the system were changed, I would be taking on harder fights, especially in pvp. Instead of saying hey, how far can I get my health to last, I'd look exclusively at which fights would meet the most points.
  • Firstly, 140 hours is at the low end of the spectrum. people using 1* regularly are at the very low end of spectrum. If your IM says it will take 8 hours to heal, I'm guessing you're liking at him in the combined arms event. I wouldn't trust that timer. Go into a prologue mission and you'll see how long it will really take.

Secondly, health packs and their use are more part of the strategy than they have been in the past. It's no accident that the true healers were not given any sort of buff (in fact xforce had his healing power turned into a weapon). Med packs and their usage are almost as much part of the strategy as shielding.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Just wanted to weigh in, hate Health packs, limits my gaming, forces me to wait when i want to play. very frustrating. like the idea to make them only used when they get downed. i have some maxed 3* which just forces me to use them other wise no point, got lucky and have BP blackflag.png and patch yellowflag.png maxed first follow by hulk so i have some wiggle room between BP and hulk. when i get more online i will have more options but now i am stuck.
  • Here's a great example, sat down with a bit of free time I was going to devote to the daily Deadpool thing and Ultron. Can't get any good luck and the Bullseye Human Torch Wolverine team ate all my medpacks so looks like I was wrong about what I'm gonna play right now. I don't see how that course of events is good for the game in any possible fashion.

Edit: So they gave that team coercive field too.... they hate us don't they?
  • At your point in the game they're trying to sell you hp to develop your roster. You're not really supposed to be able to keep up with roster slots by winning hp. You have enough roster spots, you can use various teams in the over.

PvP on the other hand most will only use a specific team, which until recently seemed to be the same two characters + feature character. To keep those characters going, health packs were needed. Players needed to decided whether their characters were so grievously injured that they would use one of their precious health packs. If characters healed between fights, then those with maxed 4* characters would have unlimited play, as theAI isn't as good as a human player (assumption based on the fact that the human character was good enough to gain a 4* roster).