Color Wheel completed. Who should get a color change?

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
IceIX dropped by with some new character icons (and Wanda's stats), and now the color wheel is complete with icons.

icon_nobody.pngicon_thor.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_magneto.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.png ---- purpletile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_blade.pngicon_loki.pngicon_bullseye.pngicon_ironfist.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_starlord.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.png ---- bluetile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_quicksilver.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_ares.pngicon_thor.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_wolverine.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_daken.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_mystique.png
icon_lukecage.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_ms_marvel.pngicon_colossus_new.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_scarletwitch.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_professorx.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_falcon.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png ---- redtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_punisher.pngicon_humantorch.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_gamora.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_invisiblewoman.pngicon_beast.pngicon_storm.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.png ---- redtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_moonstone.pngicon_deadpool.pngicon_elektra.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_hood.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_devildino.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_ironman.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_kingpin.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_shehulk.pngicon_ragnarok.png
icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_storm.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.pngnone.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_magneto.png

So purty. Some of these color grouping are overloaded -- which characters should get one of their colors changed? If any?

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There should not be any color combos that are only used by 4*s,

So that means black/yellow/purple and red/yellow/purple should get some 3*s.

Maybe someone should shift out of the overpopulated red/black/yellow combo.
  • Put C.Mags back to purple (swapping Yellow/Red and or Red/Purple). Purple can clearly be an attack color now, so why not. purpletile.png / redtile.png / yellowtile.png - he can join Star Lord.

Change Psylocke's blue to Purple. Make her redtile.png / blacktile.png / purpletile.png (even tho she is currently the only redtile.png / blacktile.png / bluetile.png )

Change Captain Marvel's Energy Absorption to Purple, so she becomes a redtile.png / blacktile.png / purpletile.png
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Move Spidey to redflag.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png (for obvious reasons)

Move Cage to yellowflag.pngpurpleflag.pngblackflag.png (protect tile and purple is more of a thing than red)
  • Torch greentile.png to bluetile.png, so he could sit next to lonely Psylocke and to give him bit more options, there is so many great Green powers already that makes it hard to find pairing where he can be used for both Red and Green. And Kamala would work nicely with discounting cheap power. Besides blue flames are much more common than green ones.
    Potentially Gamora greentile.png to bluetile.png Blue if not him, same reason plus Blue is common for stuns plus even better synergy with spammable Red with Kamala.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Elektra was missing from the color wheel. I fixed that, both in the first post and in the Character Compendium.

I like the suggestions so far, I'd like to see more.
  • How about instead of changing the devs just keep this in mind when designing new chars?

I just don't like the idea of changing colours.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The biggest issue is with color 'standarts' for effects. Like yellow, where Ms Marvel use to strategically turn tiles into another specific type and Cyke does the same, but I could see Cyke using redflag.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png as Psy blue is also about strategic AP manipulation, even tho in very different ways it could add variety to the game.

Dam, we now have SW, Doom* and DP purple dealing damage. If it was only DP we could say its because hes a troll, but I dont see why keep those standarts anymore so we can have more balanced, fully colored teams.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Too many characters combine Red and Green it needs to be broken up a bit. Same for Yellow and Red/Green.

I tend to think of characters as Hitters (Green, Red, Yellow) and support characters (Black, Blue and Purple). Not sure if this is intentional. I know I read at some point that Devs thought of Blue as a support/healing color but that doesn't seem true anymore.

Specifically IronMan 34 needs to have Yellow ability changed to Purple which is a more appropriate color, but he is so broken anyway I'm not sure how much this will help. He needs to have the additional AP costs removed from his powers. 20 blue is already the most expensive power in the game plus 2 of all other colors? That's nuts.

Chart is interesting though, it shows that the colors are fairly balanced (every color being used with the same frequency) but the real issue is that some of those characters shouldn't even be on the same list. Unpopular/useless characters leave a hole in the chart.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magneto Classic icon_magneto.png
    blueflag.pngredflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Hood icon_hood.png
    yellowflag.pngpurpleflag.pngblackflag.png

Human Torch icon_humantorch.png
    redflag.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.png

I'm okay with Psyloche as is, blue does steal AP as well, but agreed purple fits better

Scarlet Witch icon_scarletwitch.png

redflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png or purpleflag.pngredflag.pngblueflag.png

Find it interesting someone with Scarlet in their name and associated with red, doesnt have red in there playbook.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Scarlet Witch icon_scarletwitch.png

redflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png or purpleflag.pngredflag.pngblueflag.png

Find it interesting someone with Scarlet in their name and associated with red, doesnt have red in there playbook.
    I could see her as redflag.pnggreenflag.pngblueflag.png to not change much, or redflag.pngpurpleflag.pngblueflag.png
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    great post, provoking much to think about / propose. I do agree for future characters that there shouldn't be unique combinations on 4-stars only.

If a color-shift ever happens, I'd love for the devs to use it as an excuse to finally place all the mis-ordered color strengths in proper order. Heck, I'd even help crowdfund such an endeavour. icon_e_smile.gif
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually really like that they've moved away from "colors in the costume" and towards "colors that tell a story" - the colors in the costume often fit the character, but they shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of the character design. The descriptions below are totally subjective opinion, but they seem to work out as contrasts to each other well.

yellowflag.png = team players, leaders ---- no yellowflag.png = independents, rogues, villains

idealists and leaders none.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.png ---- purpletile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.png rebels and free agents
    charismatic jerks none.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.png ---- bluetile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.png jerks nobody likes
    reckless berserkers none.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.png seducers and manipulators
    large and in charge none.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.png confusion and chaos
    directors (strong passives) none.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png ---- redtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.png active destroyers
    fierce team defenders none.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.png ---- redtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.png whose side are you on anyway?
    king of a secret nation none.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.png suitcase nukes
    fresh-faced ingenue none.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.pngnone.png la femme fatale
    i make & break the rules none.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.pngnone.png smash for justice
    force of nature none.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.pngnone.png pinnacle of training

I'm not fond of the way Spider-Man's powers work and that he has no damage power. but he shouldn't have Red or Black. Maybe he should be Yellow Green Purple (young Peter Parker) or Blue Green Purple (Wisecracking Webslinger) thematically.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Change either of Cap Marvels' black to purple so there's something other than a 4* in redflag.pngyellowflag.pngpurpleflag.png .

Change either Blade or Loki's green to yellow for the same reason in purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png
  • icon_nobody.pngicon_thor.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_magneto.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.png ---- purpletile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_blade.pngicon_loki.pngicon_bullseye.pngicon_ironfist.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_starlord.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.png ---- bluetile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_quicksilver.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_ares.pngicon_thor.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_wolverine.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_daken.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_mystique.png
    icon_lukecage.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_ms_marvel.pngicon_colossus_new.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_scarletwitch.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_professorx.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_falcon.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png ---- redtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_punisher.pngicon_humantorch.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_gamora.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_invisiblewoman.pngicon_beast.pngicon_storm.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.png ---- redtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_moonstone.pngicon_deadpool.pngicon_elektra.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_hood.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_devildino.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.pngnone.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_ironman.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_kingpin.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.pngnone.pngicon_shehulk.pngicon_ragnarok.png
    icon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_nobody.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_storm.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.png ---- redtile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.pngnone.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_magneto.png
    Updating icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Gabcha
    Gabcha Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    icon_humantorch.png
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Magneto Classic icon_magneto.pngblueflag.pngredflag.pngpurpleflag.png
    YES, YES, YES !
    Nivrax wrote:
    Torch greentile.png to bluetile.png, so he could sit next to lonely Psylocke and to give him bit more options, there is so many great Green powers already that makes it hard to find pairing where he can be used for both Red and Green. And Kamala would work nicely with discounting cheap power. Besides blue flames are much more common than green ones.
    Vhailorx wrote:
    There should not be any color combos that are only used by 4*s,
    So that means black/yellow/purple and red/yellow/purple should get some 3*s.

My suggestions :

Give CMags his Purple back (a new powerfull purple !) :
    icon_magneto.pngblueflag.pngredflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Give Torch Blue :
    icon_humantorch.pngredflag.pngblackflag.pngblueflag.png

Switch Marvel girls to Purple :
    icon_ms_marvel.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngredflag.pngpurpleflag.pngyellowflag.png

Change Dakens Blue to Yellow (?) :
    icon_daken.pngpurpleflag.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.png
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    The biggest issue is with color 'standarts' for effects. Like yellow, where Ms Marvel use to strategically turn tiles into another specific type and Cyke does the same, but I could see Cyke using redflag.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png as Psy blue is also about strategic AP manipulation, even tho in very different ways it could add variety to the game.

We definitely have standards. Red = straight Damage, Yellow = Protect/TU/Heal, Green = AoE/Boardshake/Strike tiles, Blue = Heal/Stun, Purple = AP Steal/Special tile counter, Black = conditional Damage/Attack tiles. However they are being broken a lot more with newer characters. Prime example being Cage whose Red and Yellow should swap places, but because lack of good Yellow powers and overabundance of Red ones, that 'wrong' assignment makes him much more easier to team with other heroes. She Hulk got her AP denial on Green. Doctor Doom purple is damage, Gamora Black is Strike tiles. I hope they continue breaking it down since it makes it far more interesting and opens up more combinations.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nivrax wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

We definitely have standards. Red = straight Damage, Yellow = Protect/TU/Heal, Green = AoE/Boardshake/Attack tiles, Blue = Heal/Stun, Purple = AP Steal/Special tile counter, Black = conditional Damage/Attack tiles. However they are being broken a lot more with newer characters. Prime example being Cage whose Red and Yellow should swap places, but because lack of good Yellow powers and overabundance of Red ones, that 'wrong' assignment makes him much more easier to team with other heroes. She Hulk got her AP denial on Green. Doctor Doom purple is damage, Gamora Black is Strike tiles. I hope they continue breaking it down since it makes it far more interesting and opens up more combinations.

Red and green tend to be AoE colors for dmg, and green also has lots of board destruction. Oh another change

Hulk
    greenflag.pngblackflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Thunderous clap should remain greenflag.png
    Smash should become black, because you do give up something which tends to be a black ability
    Anger should be purple. Why? Well it generally creates tiles and causes cascades which really seems to be purple lately--IF, KK, King PIn, also it would give him his purple pants back
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Red and green tend to be AoE colors for dmg, and green also has lots of board destruction. Oh another change

Hulk
    greenflag.pngblackflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Thunderous clap should remain greenflag.png
    Smash should become black, because you do give up something which tends to be a black ability
    Anger should be purple. Why? Well it generally creates tiles and causes cascades which really seems to be purple lately--IF, KK, King PIn, also it would give him his purple pants back
    But because black is a 'trade-off' color, the black being anger and it damaging the team looks perfect. HT red destroys red tiles, sentry red destroys red tiles... if I would change hulk it would be for redflag.pnggreenflag.pngblackflag.png, or leave it as he is because it seems good enough.