Options
2»

Comments

• Tarouza
    Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Tarouza wrote:
    Even from a basic marketing standpoint why have other events running to pull attention away from you huge event

Because if your Alliance isn't hammering the event, there's going to be eight hour windows where you can't do anything.

The nodes don't appear to refresh, so you need to wait for the next Ultron round before you can hammer the event again. If your alliance is casual, you might only have three or four people even doing the event.

That's fair, I probably should have worded it as ending when this event is starting.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Tarouza wrote:
    That's fair, I probably should have worded it as ending when this event is starting.

For sure.

And that all comes down to the slice too.

I usually take the last slice to try and anchor the alliance ranks in certain events, so my simulator round still has hours left on it. Thankfully, because Ultron is sitting at 9,150 HP and I need someone in the alliance to finish him so that I can start round three.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Stress test? They had 10 employees play test in house. Is that not enough?

WgHoCM8.jpg
  • slidecage wrote:
    i doubt its just the servers that are causing the problem,. One little line of code just has to be a tiny bit off and BOOM everything crashes. It was not poor planning. If you think its easy then go out yourself and try to write a PC program and then have 10,000+ people on at once and then see how freaking hard it is to program.

I just wanted to add some of slidecages sense on the second page as well. Distributed coding is tricky.
  • I'm disappointed as the event was shaping up to be fun. I'm disappointed at the amateur way they seem to run development and in particular implementation.

I'm upset, as I was sitting at 960 points in PVP having been locked out for the last 20 minutes unable to get the 1000 point cover, in a situation that should have been anticipated and avoided.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    Tarouza wrote:
    *Don't worry this will be picture free*

After seeing the q&a with Kabir and watching the YouTube video I can't help but be flabbergasted by the absolutely horrendous planning by D3 in regards to the Ultron event.

In the Q&A someone asked about this not running in the season and Kabir laughed it off in answer saying he asked marvel to change the movie date and got stared at like a crazy person

Yupp that was me asking. I was not trying to be a jerk when I brought that up. They could of ran a short PVE that ended when PVP ends before the huge new Ultron event would start, but instead the developer jokes (which was funny) and everyone was laughing at me. Now look what happened! I knew this would happen, there's way too much going on at the end of a PVE and a PVP season. I hate asking for compensation for lost time and effort but it's a lot of covers we're losing out on.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I hate when they run things on Friday and then disappear for the weekend.

Where's the Q&A that you are talking about? I think I missed that.
  • ephyzephy wrote:

I'm upset, as I was sitting at 960 points in PVP having been locked out for the last 20 minutes unable to get the 1000 point cover, in a situation that should have been anticipated and avoided.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I was grinding away toward the HP progression reward, having the day off, but sadly lost most of it opening the app 20+ times an hour... Meh. Whaddayagonnado, he?

DBC
  • Tarouza
    Options
    So now the event is down at end as well
  • I always say that server congestion/craziness is kind of like people camping out for Black Friday. It's all good as long as nobody gets ran over in the stampede, though in this particular case, I'm pretty sure we have a case where people are ran over in the stampede and that'd be very bad (and if this keeps up I'm going to be one of the guys ran over too).

This is also why as unintuitive as it sounds, you don't really want to make a game that rewards everyone always playing, because for some reason despite hardware should be dirt cheap due to Moore's Law by now, no gaming company has ever managed to anticipate a sudden influx of players. Well, if you look at say a MMORPG, their login server is never intended to handle even 1/10th of the population all trying to log on at the same time, and I guess even if you're WoW and you make a billion dollars an year still isn't enough to keep 10 times the capacity idle because computers are err... expensive. I mean, it's actually kind of cool to see 'you're #192437 on the queue' and at some level, it's good for the game because people rather wait in a huge line than being in a deserted game. In real life I know people who always go to the resturant that has a long line just because they figure it must be good to have a long line, so a little bit of that is healthy, until people get ran over.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tarouza wrote:

After seeing the q&a with Kabir and watching the YouTube video I can't help but be flabbergasted by the absolutely horrendous planning by D3 in regards to the Ultron event.

In the Q&A someone asked about this not running in the season and Kabir laughed it off in answer saying he asked marvel to change the movie date and got stared at like a crazy person

In the video, one of the Devs said they were working on it for months and they have been doing a lot of testing (all good things in my opinion)

Here is the million dollar question, if you knew about it for months and knew when the dates for the event would be, then why in the bleeping tinykitty did you still run everything on the same schedule and have events running with ending times in the middle of this event. How hard would it have been to say at the beginning of the season to say hey we have the great age of ultron event coming out to coincide with the movie, we are going to cut the season a couple events and lower the season progressions by like 15-20 percent?

Why would you run a 5 day simulator event to end right after ultron launches when you could have run a deadpool PVE instead that's only 3 days?

Hey we have the major new mechanic that ties in to this movie that is one of the biggest releases of the year, maybe we should try and stress test our servers?

You guys have been rolling out new character after new character nerf after nerf and a bunch of other stuff that has been met with pretty much overwhelmingly negative feedback by your playerbase. Is it really that much of a surprise when people are deciding bleep this tinykitty and then throw it in your faces?

You guys knew these dates for a long time, there is no reason why there should be competitive events running at a time you had to at least suspect that you would have server issues. Your planning has been absolute tinykitty and there is no getting around it. It just reeks of gross incompetance

Why is it D3's problem that a select few of their players are addicts that 'need' to excel at all content? (yes, I realize I'm one of them)

You can blame them for releasing Ultron as an additional event but they did NOTHING wrong.

Why do LR's get a pass to run during season?
    Why do DDQ's get a pass to run during season?

By your logic these things should also be inexcusable as they disrespect the players time in just the same ways.
    LR's demand far more resources than any other event in this game and they refresh every 30 minutes!

They made the deliberate choice to release an additional event that was absolutely 100% optional.

That's it.
    Not that big of a deal.
    Certainly not an act of gross incompetence.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    This whole thing was poorly planned. As of right now, the servers have been down for me for hours. I wanted to do a few runs in the non-Ultron event, and I don't know how it will affect my placement.
  • Tarouza
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    Tarouza wrote:

In the video, one of the Devs said they were working on it for months and they have been doing a lot of testing (all good things in my opinion)

Here is the million dollar question, if you knew about it for months and knew when the dates for the event would be, then why in the bleeping tinykitty did you still run everything on the same schedule and have events running with ending times in the middle of this event. How hard would it have been to say at the beginning of the season to say hey we have the great age of ultron event coming out to coincide with the movie, we are going to cut the season a couple events and lower the season progressions by like 15-20 percent?

Why would you run a 5 day simulator event to end right after ultron launches when you could have run a deadpool PVE instead that's only 3 days?

Hey we have the major new mechanic that ties in to this movie that is one of the biggest releases of the year, maybe we should try and stress test our servers?

You guys have been rolling out new character after new character nerf after nerf and a bunch of other stuff that has been met with pretty much overwhelmingly negative feedback by your playerbase. Is it really that much of a surprise when people are deciding bleep this tinykitty and then throw it in your faces?

You guys knew these dates for a long time, there is no reason why there should be competitive events running at a time you had to at least suspect that you would have server issues. Your planning has been absolute tinykitty and there is no getting around it. It just reeks of gross incompetance

Why is it D3's problem that a select few of their players are addicts that 'need' to excel at all content? (yes, I realize I'm one of them)

You can blame them for releasing Ultron as an additional event but they did NOTHING wrong.

Why do LR's get a pass to run during season?
    Why do DDQ's get a pass to run during season?

By your logic these things should also be inexcusable as they disrespect the players time in just the same ways.
    LR's demand far more resources than any other event in this game and they refresh every 30 minutes!

They made the deliberate choice to release an additional event that was absolutely 100% optional.

That's it.
    Not that big of a deal.
    Certainly not an act of gross incompetence.

You must have missed my post a few places up where I said that I should have worded it as other events ending when ultron was beginning instead. It apparently also should have been events ending when ultron was ending too. 2 pvp, 2 pve, ultron itself, at least a couple lightning rounds and dpd with an apparently pretty rare cover all inaccessible for pretty major portions of them which had the potential to have a major negative impact on people's rosters due to servers being down when they are able to play
  • babinro wrote:

Some of the stuff that's happened is probably unfortunate, but if that is the case then D3/Demiurge seem to be on an incredible run of bad luck. Defend them all you like, but they are at least in part architects of their own problems. I've worked in financial systems for years and there are a number of rules that they have disregarded in all of of this.

In the real world, you never release a software upgrade or new functionality at the busiest time of the business cycle. If you approached a company and suggested putting a major development live in the middle of month-end or year-end, they'd think you were crazy.

At least this time, they have only crashed out of season events, and I have far less concern with that. The first part of the event was reckless timing to say the least.
  • Look at it the other way:

all you people just fail to buy enough health packs and other tinikitties despite DU's concentrated effort, so they keep running the game on the same nintendo gameboy they used for prototype testing a year and a half ago.

Now seriously, this has very little to do with "planning" and events and stuff -- the "server issues" are permanent part of the game for well over a year in unchanging form. While neither the people base or the event structure changed in any relevant way.

They could have replaced the infrastructure to a working one, either on hardware or software level at any point. If there was just a will to do so.

If something happens once, it's accident, if a few times may be some small incompetence and/or bad luck. But if something goes a way permanently over years we better admit it as genuine part of design and "planning".

Your choice if you accept it or take relevant measures in your control. IMO complaining about it further and ask for minor tweeks or lack of them is not productive.