I'm not psychic!

simonsez
simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
When are we going to get an on-screen indicator of which is the enemy's "strongest color?" I've had enough!

Brought X-Force to the cyc/sentry/loki node, so I could clear the reds they need and I didn't. Targeted Loki first, since he's annoying as hell and I couldn't be sure that his purple wouldn't be the strongest color. Fired SS and it cleared purple. I was prepared for that possibility, so no real harm done.

Next time around, same scenario... I had a purple match4 set up, but since I was about to fire SS, there'd be no harm in generating the mischief tiles. I fired SS, and this time is cleared red instead. All three of them.

I know you guys love abilities with random components, but this takes it way too far.

Comments

• GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Ugg... I hate it when I take the time to look at all the character's match damages, only to find that two character have the same strength in two different colors. I know that there is some logic to which one is the stronger based on character line-up position, but come on... I know more than 90% of players do about these mechanics, and I still can't guess what will happen when I fire SS sometimes. Worse, there are scenarios where there is no strongest color, because I'll watch Blade's Nightstalker ability gather multiple colors.

But the game knows! It should just tell me.

I want a little section next to the AP stock that also keeps track of:
      1) Team's strongest color(s) 2) Total protect tile amount 3) Total strike tile amount

That's all.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    When are we going to get an on-screen indicator of which is the enemy's "strongest color?" I've had enough!

Brought X-Force to the cyc/sentry/loki node, so I could clear the reds they need and I didn't. Targeted Loki first, since he's annoying as hell and I couldn't be sure that his purple wouldn't be the strongest color. Fired SS and it cleared purple. I was prepared for that possibility, so no real harm done.

Next time around, same scenario... I had a purple match4 set up, but since I was about to fire SS, there'd be no harm in generating the mischief tiles. I fired SS, and this time is cleared red instead. All three of them.

I know you guys love abilities with random components, but this takes it way too far.

it's some dumb "you had to memorize the order they were on the TU page" stupidity, it's not random. Because it's just too hard to put a little icon on the strongest color tab in the fight page
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 wrote:
    it's some dumb "you had to memorize the order they were on the TU page" stupidity, it's not random.
    It's not random, but when the PvE levels go up and down, there are hidden fractions that are determining which is the strongest color. That's why you can get two different colors in two tries against the same formation; and as far as I know, there's no way to tell when you're going to get a different result than the one you got on the previous clear.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    it's some dumb "you had to memorize the order they were on the TU page" stupidity, it's not random.
    It's not random, but when the PvE levels go up and down, there are hidden fractions that are determining which is the strongest color. That's why you can get two different colors in two tries against the same formation; and as far as I know, there's no way to tell when you're going to get a different result than the one you got on the previous clear.

In an everyone is the same level and all 3*s scenario it should follow the center-left-right pattern, which translates to the fight as "Front", "Back", "Middle". If you remember who was up front when you started you can determine who is currently the strongest color.

Since you are talking about the same scenario being different in 2 instances I'm going to assume these were PvE Simulator enemies. Scaling affects high match in a weird way, because sometimes the guy on the right, who we assume is last in the order, is 1 level higher than the rest. Before I launch a SS in PvE I check the enemies levels to make sure they are the same. Sounds like in Fight 1 Loki was 1 level higher and fight 2 they went back to even so Sentry or Cyke was the high match.
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    It's even worse when goons are involved as all their match values are the same. You literally have to memorize their strongest color, and the try to remember who was in what position if they are all the same level.
  • After the high level match nerf, there are some levels where a 1/2/3* gets nothing on match damage even on the decimal place to make the numbers come out so low at high levels. This means if you got a 3* level 250 in center and a 3* level 251 on right, you don't know if the level 251 has a higher match damage than the 250 at all, so if it's a level where the 3* gets no match damage at 251, then the strongest color would belong to the 250. Otherwise it'd belong to the 251. Note that this is value in the decimal place so either way both characters appear to have the same match damage. Of course when you get mixed rarity it's even weirder since each rarity seems to get no match damage at different levels.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:

You're missing the point. Just as players like the odds of a gold cover in token pulls because it excites them when they get a gold cover, it's also exciting for players when they don't know exactly which is the stronger colour and they have to fire the ability to find out.

Or so the reasoning from the devs goes... icon_rolleyes.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gif
  • Back when match damage just keeps on going up uniformly to 395 there is a completely deterministic way to figure out who will have the highest match because for the same rarity, a character with level X+1 always has a higher match than another character with level X, even if the difference takes place in the decimal point that the player cannot see. For different rarity, a character with a lower rarity always has highest match damage (usually by a lot) for the same level, and on ties you got the positional tiebreakers. It's annoying to have to remember all that but it can be done.

After match damage is standardized to a 4* for excessive levels, it is no longer true that for the same rarity, having a higher level means you have a higher match damage because it is possible to get 0 match damage now during some levels (the loss of match damage has to come from somewhere), but no player should be expected to memorize which levels for a given rarity that results in 0 match damage, and remember this is not something you can see. It'd be say level 250 = 80.1, level 251 = 80.1, and level 252 = 80.2. To you they all appear as '80' but level 250/251 would be tied, while level 252 would own the tiebreaker over 251.