Countdown management and the next Buffs

Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Usually, the tactic for dealing with Countdown tiles is to kill the owner or match the tile away. Often, though, there are Countdowns in bad places, so it's good to have a power that can handle them. Recent changes have removed some of the options for handling countdowns. She-Hulk lost her Countdown removal ability, and Thor4's ability was bumped to Level 5 only.

Increased health will mean more Countdown tiles go off. Here's the current status as I see it, with a letter grade from AA (good) to FF (bad) purely on how well they can deal with Countdowns. Cheaper powers got a better grade than expensive powers.

BB yellowtile.png _7 -- Cyclops -- 8 tutile.png -> redtile.png -- Mutant Revolutionary
BB yellowtile.png 12 -- Thor 3 -- add 9 greentile.png -- Thunder Strike
BB yellowtile.png 12 -- Thor4 -- convert 3 enemy tiles -- Striking Distance (level 5)
BB yellowtile.png 15 -- Hood -- choose blocks to destroy -- Twin Pistols
CC yellowtile.png _9 -- Magneto (C) -- 9 tiles become Protect -- Coercive Field
AA redtile.png 11 -- Captain America -- choose tile -- Star Spangled Avenger (level 5)
BB redtile.png 11 -- Magneto (MN) -- destroy 5x5 block -- Magnetic Flux
BB redtile.png 14 -- Black Widow (GS) -- choose blocks to destroy -- Pistol
CC redtile.png 11 -- Sentry -- destroy 9 red tiles -- Supernova
CC redtile.png _9 -- She-Hulk -- destroy 16 tiles -- Power Of Attorney
CC redtile.png 10 -- Cyclops -- destroy random row -- Optic Blasts
CC redtile.png _6 -- Ragnarok -- Add 4 bluetile.png -- Thunderclap
DD redtile.png _8 -- Thor 3 -- Add 3 yellowtile.png -- Mjolnir’s Might
AA bluetile.png PA -- Falcon -- remove random enemy tile -- Redwing (level 4)
AA bluetile.png _7 -- Invisible Woman -- lock 4 tiles -- Force Bubbles (level 5)
AA bluetile.png 12 -- Captain America -- choose tile -- Peacemaker (level 5)
BB bluetile.png _9 -- Black Widow (O) -- increase timers -- Anti-Gravity Device
BB bluetile.png _9 -- Magneto (MN) -- destroy 21 tiles -- Iron Hammer
CC bluetile.png _9 -- Doctor Doom -- all bluetile.png -> blacktile.png -- Technopathic Strike
CC bluetile.png 10 -- Mystique -- ten tiles to purpletile.pngblacktile.png -- Infiltration
FF bluetile.png 11 -- Doctor Octopus -- Manipulation
AA greentile.png 12 -- Invisible Woman -- explode 3 locked tiles -- Force Field Crush
BB greentile.png 10 -- Storm -- destroy 14 tiles -- Lightning Strike
CC greentile.png _8 -- Wolverine X-Force -- destroy 15 tiles -- X-Force
CC greentile.png 10 -- Rocket & Groot -- Blammo! We Got Ya!
CC greentile.png 10 -- Hulk -- destroy 8+ tiles -- Thunderous Clap
CC greentile.png 12 -- Storm (Classic) -- destroy 13+ tiles -- Lightning Storm
CC greentile.png 14 -- Ragnarok -- destroy random column -- Godlike Power
CC greentile.png 19 -- Black Widow (GS) -- choose reticle to destroy -- Sniper Rifle
DD greentile.png 9 -- Beast -- Animal Inside
DD greentile.png _8 -- Punisher -- destroy 3x3 -- Judgement
AA purpletile.png 10 -- StarLord -- choose tile -- Sleight of Hand (level 4)
BB purpletile.png _5 -- Iron Fist -- 9 tiles to blacktile.png -- Iron Fist of K'un-Lun
BB purpletile.png _5 -- Loki -- swap 32 tiles -- Illusions
BB purpletile.png _8 -- Kamala Khan -- chose color for 7 tiles to greentile.png -- Inhuman Stretchiness
CC purpletile.png _9 -- Magneto (MN) -- 3 selected -> bluetile.png, 5 random -> redtile.png -- Polarity Shift
FF purpletile.png 10 -- Daredevil -- Radar Sense
BB blacktile.png _9 -- Storm (Mohawk) -- create 32 attack tiles -- Hailstorm
BB blacktile.png 11 -- Wolverine X-Force -- destroy enemy's strong tiles -- Surgical Strike
BB blacktile.png 11 -- Quicksilver -- swap two tiles -- Idle Hands
CC blacktile.png 17 -- Moonstone -- control Countdown -- Control Shift

Beast and Doctor Octopus should be able to affect Countdown tiles.
Daredevil's Radar Sense should put a Trap icon over a Countdown. When it goes off, he is Invisible to that immediate effect, but others could be hurt if they are out front.

These are my choices for the most buffable powers.

yellowtile.png 19 -- Captain America -- Sentinel of Liberty
reduce cost
redtile.png 17 -- BWGS -- Pistol
3 3x3 blocks for 17 AP. How about 1 3x3 block for 6 AP?
yellowtile.png 14 -- IM40 -- Recharge
Add variable cost
redtile.png 14 -- Hulk -- Smash
let Anger tiles be 2-count. Invoke "Hulk gets stronger as he gets Angry."
blacktile.png 13 -- Colossus -- Fastball Special
reduce cost
yellowtile.png 12 -- Spider-Man -- Web Bandages
something else
bluetile.png 10 -- Psylocke -- Bewilder
yellowtile.png _9 -- Squirrel Girl -- The Bigger They Are
yellowtile.png _9 -- Storm -- Mistress of the Elements
bluetile.png _8 -- Black Panther -- Defense Grid
bluetile.png _8 -- Ragnarok -- Lightning Rod
redtile.png _7 -- Captain Marvel -- Photonic Blasts
blacktile.png _7 -- Punisher -- Molotov Cocktail
blacktile.png PA -- Deadpool -- Life of the Party

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Make sure to note that after the change, Force Bubbles will need to be at Level 5 to lock countdown tiles. Force Field Crush however only needs the bubble that gets popped to be within the 3x3 area. This allows you to plan for 3 or 5 in Blue depending on how you want to deal with those tiles.
  • R&G at 5 greenflag.png is at least as useful as XF greenflag.png for destroying CDs. Bonus it won't target your own CDs or other friendly specials.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Lerysh wrote:
    R&G at 5 greenflag.png is at least as useful as XF greenflag.png for destroying CDs. Bonus it won't target your own CDs or other friendly specials.
    That's really interesting. I was debating on leveling R&G next.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    R&G at 5 greenflag.png is at least as useful as XF greenflag.png for destroying CDs. Bonus it won't target your own CDs or other friendly specials.
    That's really interesting. I was debating on leveling R&G next.

Yea I like him a lot. He's super good at PvE. I've had a 4/5/4 R&G for a long time now, and 5 green is a decent skill, especially by the no XF standard.
  • I'm still kind of bummed out that She-Hulk lost the countdown effecting component of Settlement. Yeah her green needed an overhaul, no question, but the stealth nerf to her blue makes me sad. It was situational, but very useful. Now she's more versatile in terms of being much more team-friendly, but with less functionality.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    I'm still kind of bummed out that She-Hulk lost the countdown effecting component of Settlement. Yeah her green needed an overhaul, no question, but the stealth nerf to her blue makes me sad. It was situational, but very useful. Now she's more versatile in terms of being much more team-friendly, but with less functionality.
    Wasn't even a nerf of the skill, it was a complete change. She now buffs tiles she grab and she only takes enemy tiles. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    How much did the devs pay you to put Moonstone in the useful list and downgrade OBW to might be useful? icon_lol.gif

OBW is still my go to for countdowns, put her with a board shaker and you're good to go. Thanks for all your helpful threads Nonce, you've definitely made MPQ much better for us.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    cletus1985 wrote:
    How much did the devs pay you to put Moonstone in the useful list and downgrade OBW to might be useful? icon_lol.gif

I do sort them all by cost. It's generally well known that anything with a cost over 12 likely won't be useful unless you have a color generator of some sort.

Iron Fist + Moonstone is a good combo against sniper teams.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    I'm still kind of bummed out that She-Hulk lost the countdown effecting component of Settlement. Yeah her green needed an overhaul, no question, but the stealth nerf to her blue makes me sad. It was situational, but very useful. Now she's more versatile in terms of being much more team-friendly, but with less functionality.
    Wasn't even a nerf of the skill, it was a complete change. She now buffs tiles she grab and she only takes enemy tiles. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I wouldn't call it a complete change. It still does approximately the same thing. It takes three special tiles (at 4+ covers), gives you two and the enemy one. The change is that it doesn't convert everything to strike tiles, it buffs your new tiles, and it only targets enemy tiles. That makes her far more versatile, because before if you wanted to use her blue at all you really couldn't use her optimally with anyone who relies on special tiles, and that's a large list. Now she plays nice with pretty much anyone, given the usual color combination concerns.

But the fact that her blue doesn't target enemy countdown tiles anymore is definitely a nerf. It was excellent at shutting down goons and other countdown producing characters in some situations, and now that part of her utility is gone. All around the changes make her "better", if only because her green was such a train wreck before, but it still stands that she can't do something very useful anymore that she formerly was able to do.
  • Nonce, you overcosted OBW's blue, its cost is 9 blue. Also, Mystique blue is 10 now, too.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Sword user wrote:
    Nonce, you overcosted OBW's blue, its cost is 9 blue. Also, Mystique blue is 10 now, too.

Yep... I just updated Mystique everywhere. Doesn't look like the devs actually posted the March character changes, but they talked about them in a video.

I changed things to a letter grade so I could sort by color.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    edited April 2015
    Countdowns and special tiles will be a major part of the Ultron event, so I thought this was worth bumping. From Turul's speculation's post
    turul wrote:
    Ultron Prime (probably unplayable)
    - (every turn passive) creates a "drop tile", which deals damage when it arrives to the bottom row.
    - (every turn passive) destroys the bottom row
    - cannot be stunned

Ultron Ultimate (probably playable)
    - AOE DMG
    - creates CD tiles which stun + drain strongest AP
    - (every turn passive) Copies a friendly special tile next to the original. (atk/prot/strike tile)
    - cannot be stunned

The new PVE will be at least two chapters, meeting both Ultron versions above.

If the drop tiles do damage when Ultron destroys them, then She-Hulk will be a major player, since she can reliably destroy the lower row.

In particular.

BB yellowtile.png _7 -- Cyclops -- 8 tutile.png -> redtile.png -- Mutant Revolutionary
    AA redtile.png 11 -- Captain America -- choose tile -- Star Spangled Avenger (level 5)
    BB redtile.png 11 -- Magneto (MN) -- destroy 5x5 block -- Magnetic Flux
    AA bluetile.png PA -- Falcon -- remove random enemy tile -- Redwing (level 4)
    AA bluetile.png _7 -- Invisible Woman -- lock 4 tiles -- Force Bubbles (level 5)
    AA bluetile.png 12 -- Captain America -- choose tile -- Peacemaker (level 5)
    BB bluetile.png _9 -- Black Widow (O) -- increase timers -- Anti-Gravity Device
    BB bluetile.png _9 -- Magneto (MN) -- destroy 21 tiles -- Iron Hammer -- Or destroy whole board.
    FF bluetile.png 11 -- Doctor Octopus -- Manipulation
    AA greentile.png 12 -- Invisible Woman -- explode 3 locked tiles -- Force Field Crush
    CC greentile.png 19 -- Black Widow (GS) -- choose reticle to destroy -- Sniper Rifle
    DD greentile.png 9 -- Beast -- Animal Inside
    AA purpletile.png 10 -- StarLord -- choose tile -- Sleight of Hand (level 4)
    BB purpletile.png _5 -- Iron Fist -- 9 tiles to blacktile.png -- Iron Fist of K'un-Lun
    BB purpletile.png _5 -- Loki -- swap 32 tiles -- Illusions
    BB purpletile.png _8 -- Kamala Khan -- chose color for 7 tiles to greentile.png -- Inhuman Stretchiness
    FF purpletile.png 10 -- Daredevil -- Radar Sense
    BB blacktile.png _9 -- Storm (Mohawk) -- create 32 attack tiles -- Hailstorm
    BB blacktile.png 11 -- Quicksilver -- swap two tiles -- Idle Hands

I'll try to update this as we figure out what's effective.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait, but I thought this was a non-issue since the forum seems to think countdowns are useless...

They're probably nerfing all the countdown removals to make Starlord the best 4*.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Countdowns are good when you have a lot of them, or when you can place them. They are bad when they are expensive, random, and immediately matched away.

Enemies generate lots of countdown, and it seems Ultron will do the same, so good Countdown handling will be important.

Prediction -- Captain America, Invisible Woman, Magneto MN will see a lot of use.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    For those with a Lvl 5 X-Force greenflag.png, don't forget that he trashes half the board (including CDs) for 16 AP. It's a silver-lining at least.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,322 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beast's Yellow needs to be in the list of buffable powers. Even after the buff, the best that can be said of it is "slightly better than Web Bandages", not precisely the highest of praise.

Also, both of the other IM40 powers and Quicksilver powers likely need to be tooled up to their pre-nerf values.
  • One glaring omission from the list is the 2* Ms Marvel yellow ability. That can convert ANY non-team up into a team-up, including CD tiles. It only costs 7 AP, meaning it is usually pretty easy to fire off, and often causes cascades and board shakes, possibly making non-eliminated CD's to be easier to reach!
  • Daredevil's Radar Sense should put a Trap icon over a Countdown. When it goes off, he is Invisible to that immediate effect, but others could be hurt if they are out front.

This is the truest thing ever. And it would make Radar Sense/Dare Devil really fun to play against goons.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    SuperRed wrote:
    One glaring omission from the list is the 2* Ms Marvel yellow ability. That can convert ANY non-team up into a team-up, including CD tiles. It only costs 7 AP, meaning it is usually pretty easy to fire off, and often causes cascades and board shakes, possibly making non-eliminated CD's to be easier to reach!

Usually save up for 2 blasts, and you can reset the entire board.

Missed:
    GSBW purpleflag.png you can create lines of 4 to wipe out countdowns
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    I feel like you are over-weighting AP costs when rating these greentile.png powers, since they increase in effect with additional AP, but don't spend more than their initial cost:

CC greentile.png 12 -- Storm (Classic) -- destroy 13+ tiles -- Lightning Storm

At 30 greentile.png AP, which is very achievable in survival nodes, these powers absolutely wreck the board and can be fired 3X if needed.

2* Storm is really the big winner here, because at 30 AP, she'll smash half the board and recharge her skill half-way. On average, 30 greentile.png AP will fire Lighting Storm 3X and ultimately destroy around 90 tiles.

I know, I know, PvP is the only game there is...