Goon + Villain/Hero Nodes

Scoregasms
Scoregasms Posts: 373
Is there any legitimate reason why a Goon, when paired with a Villain or Hero who is actively making matches each turn, should also generate AP on top of that? I get why Goons themselves need to generate AP since they can't move the board, but why not just have them do that if no Villain/Hero is left? All Goon nodes still operate the same way and once any Heroes or Villains are downed on an enemy team, they can go back to generating their own AP as usual. But if there is an active Hero/Villain making matches, why can't that be the only AP source for that team? There's no such thing as a bad board with these dudes, lol.

For this reason alone, I'd prefer an all Villain 340 node over a 2 Goon + Ares 260 node every time just because it doesn't feel as cheap and strategy matters more. With our big cannons being being reduced, any chance for this whole Goon situation can also be revisited? It would make PVE a lot more enjoyable (at least for me) and less filled with dread. Then those Hood + 2 Goons or Ares + 2 Goon nodes won't feel so inane.

Comments

• FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Depends on if its just a Villain and 2 random goons or if it was intentionally set up so the goon is feeding AP to the villain.

How could you ever get tired of the 'Rocket and a Hard Place' node in the Meet Rocket & Groot PVE? What is there not to love about having Hood get fed both yellow and black? I love having him Intimidate Tommy Gun countdowns. Or having my entire team Twin Pistol'ed to death one at a time? That never gets old. Giving Hood +4 yellow every turn means you are going to get shot up with Twin Pistols by turn 5. You either boost an AP thief or boost some other cannon character enough to drop Hood before turn 5.. because a lvl256 Hood firing TP is probably gonna drop anyone you invite to the party.

Ooh, or the 'Human Torch + 2x Pyro' node from Hell's Kitchen in Prodigal Sun? Where the flame jet gets +3 green every turn once it hits the board? Love that one. Every PVE should have 2 of those I love them so much. Flame Jet hits the board turn 3 and gets stronger every turn.

I'm surprised we haven't had Human Torch paired with 2 of those big Hand Ninjas that generate red and black. (Or am I too scarred and have repressed the memory?)

On a separate (but somewhat related) note: as I look at the recent rounds of changes, it feels like steps are being taken to *increase* the effectiveness of goons.
    * Goddess: yellow no longer affects countdowns with 4 covers (requires 5).
    * She-Hulk: blue no longer affects countdown tiles.
    * Doc Ock: blue appears no longer affect countdowns and green no longer destroys a random countdown.
    Maybe by removing some of our ways to easily deal with goons they will stop building goon+villain nodes seemingly designed to be unfair.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea, but it would force them to do a pretty substantial redesign on all goons. They'd have to add additional powers or at least make some powers apply to multiple colors. Otherwise, you could defeat a neverending stream of every type of hand ninja by just denying red.