The REAL advantage vets have - featured characters

Options
No one ever talks about it but the biggest advantage that veterans have is deep rosters which manifest themselves for Featured characters

Almost anyone can get 2 good 3* after awhile (maybe a long while but that's another story) but it's super hard for anyone other than long time veterans to have nearly every character at level 100+. That means they will have featured characters around level 166 (or higher) w new system for buffs. That means they can always run teams w 3 characters being max level or higher (for 20-30 3*) whereas most transition players to "not so old" veterans only have 2-6 at level 100+. That's a huge advantage that isn't being addressed by the devs in their furious fight to "even things out" (which is going crummy btw).

SOLUTION - 2 parts
1) no more featured character buff/bonus. Still required for each match but at "regular" level or w loaner character
2) loaner character needs to be better. Should be level 100 w a 222 build. That's not very useful but provides a good alternative for newer players who don't have deep rosters. Also will help newer players w health as well from a semi-viable loaner being in play now

These two changes would make the game more fair while not negatively impairing veterans

Comments

• NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not quite sure if you're serious, but if you boost everybody's featured char, except those who already have them maxed is indeed 'negatively impariing veterans'.

It's like saying "hey, we totally didn't nerf Patch; we just increased everybody elses health..."
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, the guys who worked hard and input more time / money should be brought even more in line with players who started last month :^)
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No one ever talks about it but the biggest advantage that veterans have is deep rosters which manifest themselves for Featured characters

Almost anyone can get 2 good 3* after awhile (maybe a long while but that's another story) but it's super hard for anyone other than long time veterans to have nearly every character at level 100+. That means they will have featured characters around level 166 (or higher) w new system for buffs. That means they can always run teams w 3 characters being max level or higher (for 20-30 3*) whereas most transition players to "not so old" veterans only have 2-6 at level 100+. That's a huge advantage that isn't being addressed by the devs in their furious fight to "even things out" (which is going crummy btw).

SOLUTION - 2 parts
    1) no more featured character buff/bonus. Still required for each match but at "regular" level or w loaner character
    2) loaner character needs to be better. Should be level 100 w a 222 build. That's not very useful but provides a good alternative for newer players who don't have deep rosters. Also will help newer players w health as well from a semi-viable loaner being in play now

These two changes would make the game more fair while not negatively impairing veterans

Thats kind of the point of being a long time vet, having a large stable of 166s that get the buff. The other nice benefit is being able to rejigger teams to take advantage of color priorities. It was big help having a near max IF to take advantage of SS feeding into IF purple. It made for very nice loop.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JoshBot3000, please...
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options

SOLUTION - 2 parts

1) The Devs have already experimented with INCREASING the level of the required characters (maxing out at 290). It would be a surprising turn of events if they not only reverted it to the old 249 cap, but got rid of it altogether.

2) Can we stop catering to lower level rosters and pretending that they "deserve" a shot at vets? There's a long list of changes D3 has already put into effect that hamper vets: Thor nerf, X-Force nerf, MMR changes, shield cooldowns, boost nerfs, HP increases (you may think this is a good think for vets, but it increases the time spent in a match, leaving us vulnerable to attacks), etc. As some mentioned above, there's a reason we've built up our rosters and put the time required and it should count for something.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    edited April 2015
    Options
    (double posted)
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    Flare808 wrote:

SOLUTION - 2 parts

1) The Devs have already experimented with INCREASING the level of the required characters (maxing out at 290). It would be a surprising turn of events if they not only reverted it to the old 249 cap, but got rid of it altogether.

2) Can we stop catering to lower level rosters and pretending that they "deserve" a shot at vets? There's a long list of changes D3 has already put into effect that hamper vets: Thor nerf, X-Force nerf, MMR changes, shield cooldowns, boost nerfs, HP increases (you may think this is a good think for vets, but it increases the time spent in a match, leaving us vulnerable to attacks), etc. As some mentioned above, there's a reason we've built up our rosters and put the time required and it should count for something.

I think the thing newer players fail to understand is that being a veteran with a huge roster doesn't mean MPQ is a breeze and everything is roses. I let my brother use my account for a while when I retired for a few months and he couldn't believe how frustrating PvP was being matched up with people where matches took forever and the insanity that is PvE vs 300+ leveled rosters. I wish I could go back to the days where my roster of 3* Thor, OBW and Loaner was all I needed to get top 10 for an entire season. I feel like I've been trying to recapture that "fun" for the last 6 months and while I still view MPQ as a good way to pass the time, I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

I remember when spending money got you stuff you really wanted and immediately made a big impact in the game. Now I feel like sometimes I'm spending money to roster characters I don't want to play because they're required for a PvE I don't have the time to play.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The real adavantage vets have - characters. The vets get to use all these major characters who are superheroes with powers and developed storylines!

Vets should be forced to play using only Uncle Ben, the troll doll from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and the hot dog stand from the old city environment.
  • I should have put that I meant this change instead of the rest of the stuff. This suggestion alone would even things out. No nerfs to XF etc. No health bonus thing. No matchmaking changes. Just this alone would've balanced it out nicer for newer players
    Guess I should've made that clearer
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There already is a balanced (or so) playing field for players regardless of roster, its called PVE.

I have no problem with PVP being a big fish eat small fish world, it is and should stay as rewarding to players who have invested more into their roster. Otherwise there would be little to look forward to leveling up your team. Previously I had my 2* butt handed to me by 3*s in PVP, barely scrapping T100 less than half the time. Now I'm having my 3* butt handed to me by the 4* twins (at least for another week), but I'm now solidly in T100 scrapping T50/T25. So there is some sense of progression, disregarding the MMR cr@p this past week. One day I want to be part of that 4* wall handing butts out to other people, PVP gives you that sense of virtual progression, I see nothing wrong with how it is. If you're finding it tough, spend more time in PVE until you're ready, like everybody else did before you.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There already is a balanced (or so) playing field for players regardless of roster, its called PVE.

I have no problem with PVP being a big fish eat small fish world, it is and should stay as rewarding to players who have invested more into their roster. Otherwise there would be little to look forward to leveling up your team. Previously I had my 2* butt handed to me by 3*s in PVP, barely scrapping T100 less than half the time. Now I'm having my 3* butt handed to me by the 4* twins (at least for another week), but I'm now solidly in T100 scrapping T50/T25. So there is some sense of progression, disregarding the MMR cr@p this past week. One day I want to be part of that 4* wall handing butts out to other people, PVP gives you that sense of virtual progression, I see nothing wrong with how it is. If you're finding it tough, spend more time in PVE until you're ready, like everybody else did before you.

I couldn't agree more! If the newer players are expecting to get their roster maxxed out any time soon, then they don't understand the essence of the game. I have been playing for a little over 7 months and have managed to get 4 characters above 100. The idea is progression. Yes, I hate seeing a 270 point XF or Thoress in PvP and have only broken into the top 100 a couple of times. Managed to get into the top 50 in PvE several times and DDQ has really been helping me get my 3* roster up there. Eventually, I will see myself not skipping over a team with XF or Thoress but that is quite a way off. In the meantime, I enjoy playing just about every day (mostly on the bus to/from work).
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That's just about the only advantage left and you want to take that too?

The Problem is with the game not giving players entertaining matches for their levels. Not that vets have more/better equipment. What's the point in winning and working on the characters if it doesn't improve your gameplay and score?
  • Why does this need a solution?

Vets should have an advantage over someone who bought the 2 strongest characters in the game.

Working as intended.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I should have put that I meant this change instead of the rest of the stuff. This suggestion alone would even things out. No nerfs to XF etc. No health bonus thing. No matchmaking changes. Just this alone would've balanced it out nicer for newer players

So basically the SHIELD SIM? Yeah, there's no way I'm gonna play that for an entire season. Heck, I only play the SIM in the last 3 days!
  • I thought Devs aready stated they want more diversity in rosters. Character level boosts with essential do just do that. We need more reasons to have wide selection of heroes, not less.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You would've had a point...if MMR hadn't been changed. My 290 Thor/Patch/whatever isn't all that much of an advantage when I'm continually matched up against another 290 featured character
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options

SOLUTION - 2 parts

Wow....after all you've been HANDED and all vets have been screwed over you want more? Don't worry, vets cant' see you to attack you in pvp, and I don't know what your pool is like but we are getting attacked even before seed teams are all attacked.

See, the way most games go is that those who put in the time and affort to earn better charecters or features would have an advantage, that's about how 90% of video games work. If the featured charecter isn't buffed, what's the point of even having a featured charecter in pvp? Why not make every pvp exactly like shield sim? There is no end to the entitlement and demand for freebies from new players it seems.

The game has already been changed to push out vets, and any chareceters vets use (which is unfair for some reason) have been nerfed either by being overnerfed, or not being on teh list of 90% of buffed health charecters.

What more could you ask for? Vets can't even attack 2* rosters in PvP anymore, and 2* transitioners have an advantage on PvE as well, especially after xforce nerf. How much compitition do you need taken out of the game?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I should have put that I meant this change instead of the rest of the stuff. This suggestion alone would even things out. No nerfs to XF etc. No health bonus thing. No matchmaking changes. Just this alone would've balanced it out nicer for newer players

I spent most of my newbie to 2-3* transition period as a semi-casual player in a 5-person alliance I started in maybe season 2 or 3 out of curiosity, and only joined a serious alliance at the end of season 4.

That is to say, I had no alliance covers, I had no bonus iso, I had just enough hp income to slowly add new characters to my roster and also try to catch up on the existing ones I didn't have.

Every time I got a new cover and the character was featured in a pvp or pve, I put some iso in. It helped me do better in that event, and I got more covers and iso, and put those in the next character.

That's where my advantage comes from. Slowly, one tinykitty event at a time for my tinykitty roster, until it became the tinykitty awesome thing it is today.

Love your roster and nurture it and they will love and help you in return. Well, maybe not Beast, but I hear rumours he's getting a bit of a buff, so who knows. icon_e_smile.gif