What do you think will actually happen next?

With such a huuuuuge amount of unhappy and angry posts about the new PvP matchmaking, PvE scaling, nerfs to characters and increased health, do you forum people think anything will really change?

And if nothing changes, all these 'new features' remain as they are, what are you going to do? Raging against the machine is all very well, but does it make any difference at all? The owners of games like this tend only to listen to new players unhappy about being beaten, not wishing the new wallets to disappear too quickly, so what then?

Comments

• Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    The game asks you to rate it after every update. Guess who won't give it 5 stars anymore, huh? icon_e_wink.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Twombley wrote:
    With such a huuuuuge amount of unhappy and angry posts about the new PvP matchmaking, PvE scaling, nerfs to characters and increased health, do you forum people think anything will really change?
    If by "change", you mean many, many vets going casual or losing interest, I'd say yes. If by "change" you mean significant rollbacks on any of the recent "game enhancements", I'd say hell no.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    To answer your question, I doubt anything will change. D3 will stay their guns as normal before admitting error or fault. As for me, I will continue to play in the vain hope the game will get better. Probably, I will play less and less before eventually turning my back on mpq. In the meantime, I plan to drop my rating for mpq; they definitely don't deserve a 5 anymore..

As said in another thread, I will probably apathy quit:
    AionTelos wrote:
    from "Changes to Versus Matchmaking" thread

It's amazing how completely this change has sucked the fun out of the game for me. I'm at day 366, and have a fairly deep roster of 153 level characters, and PVP has gone from a blast to drudgery with this change. I'm not rage quitting, but I'm pretty likely to end up apathy quitting now.

It's sad because this game could be so good again...
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    From past experience as a long time player, D3 doesn't make changes to please the customer base. They make decisions that temp people into buying the next big character, hence the fact that professor x and kingpin are now the best 4* (imo), and are probably going to get nerfed down the line. It makes no sense to go for the 4*s anymore and with the new pvp mmr vets are quitting like crazy. I think what we'll see is many people will quit giving D3 the "balance" that they are looking for by taking "a little off the top" as deadpool would do and simply shifting the player paradigm to fit their definition of the word. Once all the big fish move onto calmer seas then the lowers will rush to the top and the MMR will calm back down...then the cycle starts again like the ebb and flow of the tide.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Twombley wrote:
    If by "change", you mean many, many vets going casual or losing interest, I'd say yes. If by "change" you mean significant rollbacks on any of the recent "game enhancements", I'd say hell no.

I will go casual after season, and since I'm by nature competitive player - may just quit as well.
    PVE was always mindless grinding, even more with stronger roster and since PVP just became like this - there is no fun at all...
    X-Force nerf is just nail in the coffin.
  • This game has been improving with time. There are fits and starts, and definite steps backward, but it is way better than it was about a year ago. As a player since day 1, I try to take a long view of the game's overall health. This allows me to still be a little optimistic about the future.

Last summer I almost quit; there was nothing to work toward, PvP and PvE were repetitive and boring, and I felt that there was nothing interesting that I could add to my roster. For a few months I barely played at all. Now I find myself back in the same situation, and I'll likely not play very much in the next weeks or months while I wait to see how things shake out. Still, even some of the seemingly worse decisions in the game's past ended up working out okay, so I'm not convinced that this new run of changes will ruin everything forever.

That being said, the thing that made the game exciting for me at the end of the summer was the advent of reworked X-Force and the promise of an exciting progression to a new 4* meta. Since the developers are kind of turning their backs on that notion, I'm not sure my optimism is warranted.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    I think the character balance changes are set in stone. We'll probably see a 3rd wave of balance changes around September/October. This one will impact characters like Psylocke, Colossus, The Punisher and possibly a nerf to Professor X.

I also think the health changes will go live as is. There may be changes that result from the health change but we probably won't see them for a while. These changes won't be to the health values themselves but the game experience surrounding the slower pace. For example we may see PvP progression rewards scaled back or the points rewarded increased to lessen the grind a bit.

The matchmaking system and pvp progression will continue to see iterations. I can't see D3 being perfectly happy with the current results. I'd offer some specifics but I don't understand the system well enough. I'd simply hope that they'll make the climbing experience feel a bit more like a progression of difficulty (nowhere close to what it was before but better than now).

Note: These are my predictions and they don't necessarily equate to my suggestions (I don't feel Xavier is worthy of a nerf for example).

Update: already a modification to the matchmaking system the same day as this icon_e_smile.gif
  • Xenoberyll wrote:
    The game asks you to rate it after every update. Guess who won't give it 5 stars anymore, huh? icon_e_wink.gif

icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif

This game has NEVER been worthy of a 5 * rating.
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    The PvP matchmaking algorithm will change. They've shown a general (perhaps overzealous) willingness to tinker, and the current version is not doing what it is supposed to- most notably 2* rosters are being given virtually no 2* opponents. There is no guarantee that the changes will be to the benefit of the veteran mob that dominates the forum conversation, but the status quo is not going to last

The X-Force nerf and health boosts will not change. They reflect a coherent vision on the part of D3 to level power among characters and extend average game length. There will be future tweaks, but a rollback won't happen.

PvE scaling is unlikely to be adjusted, but it could happen. My impression is that D3 wants PvE to 1) be friendly to 1 and 2* players and 2) separate players based on which nodes they can beat, rather than how effectively they can structure their schedule around MPQ. Both these goals are actually served by the ludicrous overleveling of opponents for those with maxed 4*. We'll see how extreme the scaling problem gets after the changes occur- if players with a 270 X-Force are suddenly entirely absent from PvE top tens, I think MPQ will react. But if the obsessives can still obsess their way to top 10 scores as usual...D3 will be fine with having a game mode strongly biased towards new players.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think many top-end people bought (or earned) the top two 4*'s, GT and XF. Lots of rosters I see with (only) two 270's, these two. They didn't leave when one was nerfed since she was still half good. I do think many will leave now that the fast damage dealer is gone.

I think many 4* transitioners have only one 4*: XF. Lots of rosters I see with (only) one 220+, it's this one. They use it to quickly shield-hop, and stand a little above the 3* only rosters. I think some of these will leave now that their best character is gone.

I think many 3* folks have worked to get "the best" 3*'s to 166: Hood, Loki, Hulk, Thor, Patch, Daken (and now Iron Fist). Wait...that's the list of the -only- 3*'s that didn't get health buffs? Now the 3*'s will be more balanced...well, at least all matches will take longer. Leveling the "best" 3*'s won't give you much of an advantage anymore, you can't finish matches quickly and shield, and more teams will take on whatever you throw out there - no good defensive teams anymore. So many of these players may leave in frustration as well.

I think the new MMR has gone on three rounds, but the first time it was immediately returned to the old way. So folks may have tried this second time, hoping that it returned again. It hasn't yet, but now you only face (mostly) loaner/weak Kingpin. Next up is the Thor PVP....just wait until matchup after matchup of 260 Hulk/290 Thor/270 Fury. Over and over and over. Yeah, no one wants to see those health levels again and again....I think many people will leave once they realize this MMR isn't going to be fixed either.

I think the PVE scaling has never been addressed, and people are burned out from new character grind - with the promise of ONE FULL WEEK! of a break. icon_rolleyes.gif Daily I see more people saying they are done with PVE here - if they are done with PVP as well they will be leaving.

Those are five things I think. But if all five happen, I think it will be interesting to watch their "daily play" stats plummet next season: vets will stay to help out their alliances until the end of unlucky season 13, and the exodus away from the game next season will be greater than we've ever seen before. I'm sure the devs hope that Avengers movie interest will be enough to drive new players to the game around the same time to make up for it.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Twombley wrote:

And if nothing changes, all these 'new features' remain as they are, what are you going to do? Raging against the machine is all very well, but does it make any difference at all? The owners of games like this tend only to listen to new players unhappy about being beaten, not wishing the new wallets to disappear too quickly, so what then?

I'll probably just quit, like many others who are going to "give it a shot" for a while
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I was recently pointed to the Reddit MPQ forum. You just do not see the "huuuuge" uproar over there even those they are aware of the proposed changes. To the contrary, a copy of Jonny1Punch's unhappy post was met with a decent amount of skepticism by those players and limited sympathy. There seems to be a much bigger spectrum of feeling and balance to player sentiment when you look outside this Forum.

I think these changes are for real, with some future tweaks. The Forum will continue to be an unhappy place. But when was it a happy place?
  • This place does get pretty negative sometimes. I'm trying to remember if it was always like this or if it's just gotten worse or worse with time. I will say that administrative presence on the fora probably varies indirectly with feelings of abandonment and general resentment on the part of the posters.

I will also say, as I've often said, that this game is improving with time. Some changes have not had an overall positive change, but the changes overall have been positive. It's just that right now the TGT/X-Force nerfs and overall health buffs are moving in the exact opposite direction that many of us would prefer.
  • I think devs are going to decide all 3 stars are too powerful. Nerf them all down to just above 2 star.

Then 6 months later realize all characters above 1 star are too powerful, so they'll re-nerf them all.
    Say what you want but I'm betting the strongest character in 12 months is a 1* black widow.
  • If they are doing so much to make the early game more accessible to new players I really hope to see a full blown MPQ add at the beginning of AoU and the influx of new players that might bring in.

Unless that is backwards and MPQ has become an interactive ad machine for marvel and are getting sweet kickbacks from the parent company.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was recently pointed to the Reddit MPQ forum. You just do not see the "huuuuge" uproar over there even those they are aware of the proposed changes. To the contrary, a copy of Jonny1Punch's unhappy post was met with a decent amount of skepticism by those players and limited sympathy.
    That's so weird, because Reddit has always been known as a place brimming with empathy...
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I was recently pointed to the Reddit MPQ forum. You just do not see the "huuuuge" uproar over there even those they are aware of the proposed changes. To the contrary, a copy of Jonny1Punch's unhappy post was met with a decent amount of skepticism by those players and limited sympathy.
    That's so weird, because Reddit has always been known as a place brimming with empathy...

Most sub-Reddits that aren't for block-buster games are generally pretty tame and friendly.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Some will quit, some will move on

the next best character will get nerfed in 3 months
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    MikeHock wrote:
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    The game asks you to rate it after every update. Guess who won't give it 5 stars anymore, huh? ;)

:o:o:o

This game has NEVER been worthy of a 5 * rating.

What are you talking about? October 2013 was great.

Ev tiles, few 3*'s, dirt cheap health packs, and leveling up a cover restored its HP.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Also, 3* Thor is doomed

Compare his green to xf's