MPQ Content Creator's Harassment and You

Options
Hello, I've recently come upon a disturbing issue in the community, which especially shocks me because this seems to be one of the most well-mannered "Gaming" forums/games out there.

MPQ Content Creators are being harassed. I've experienced it in my own thread(viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25844), and another content creator has decided not to create any more content because of the messages she/he's received(I don't think they're actually posts on the forum because I couldn't see them. I won't reveal his/her forum name unless that person would like to come forth themselves).

It just baffles me that we have some really mature users here(pending obvious exceptions) and these people have nothing better to do than to give people a hard time that create content for FREE for this community. We don't get paid. It takes time. It takes effort.

I see alot of posts about I wish 'XYZ' would happen, and when it does happen, we get attacked for it.

It's not hard to be an adult and move on from a topic if you inherently disagree with what the topic is about.

Let's talk a little about how a community grows. For a community to grow, it must accept new members and be inviting. It must be understanding that these efforts aren't easy. It must be WELCOMING. Communities do this so as not shrink, grow small, become incestuous.

We're losing Mischief Maker. He was a boon to the community. This other content creator tried but has been shunned by the community. How do you expect to get another Mischief Maker when your expectations are so unrealistic?

I see pleas for vets to do XYZ. But problem is, if you don't allow the community to grow, we won't have any more vets. And honestly, if they wanted to, they would've done it already.

I will be the first to admit that I do not have every character, and I don't have them at max level, and I haven't played every cover combination and every team combination against every other team combination. But thing is, I bet you haven't either.

And that doesn't make my opinion invalid. You're welcome to BELIEVE that, but I don't see anyone else really trying to fulfill the niche Mischief Maker did. It's been FOUR MONTHS since we've heard from him. And yes, he might be coming back, but it'll be his last hurrah.

This game is growing and moving, and we must, too.

It's not hard to create your own 'version' if you believe mine is faulty and I'm 'unqualified'.

Ultimately, I don't care if I'm harassed or downvoted or whatever. But when I learned this was happening to someone else, I couldn't help but make a post.

Be a better person.

Comments

• wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    Absolute agreement. Unfortunately, there are trashy worthless human being in the world who create nothing, but feel the need to criticize and destroy those who do create. Creation takes work, effort, and is NOT easy. Please do not listen to wastes of human life who offer nothing but anger, irrational hatred, and criticism for your work. Thank you for contributing, and I hope that others who are worried about hateful people to realize they aren't worth the scum on the bottom of your shoes.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,307 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, martyr complex much? But it's good that he linked to the thread. I invite everybody to take a good look at it before sympathising with the alleged victim to find out that there has been no harassment, just a difference of opinion and constructive criticism that the OP misconstrued as attacks and then proceeded to ignore (as in using the forum tool) everybody who didn't agree. The fact that he needed make a post in general discussion to cry about it is beyond pathetic, and call me a harasser if so is calling things by their name.

Oh, and this "content" that he's valiantly "creating" even going against an alleged tide of harassment? Some personal opinions on MPQ characters from his 2* transitioner point of view that he expects the community to accept as the inherited legacy of Mischief-Maker's Character Rankings (even though he has been pointed repeatedly that MM is still going to make a last one, and that's why no one else but him has jumped to create a new one). Read the whole thread and form your own opinions.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Wow, martyr complex much? But it's good that he linked to the thread. I invite everybody to take a good look at it before sympathising with the alleged victim to find out that there has been no harassment, just a difference of opinion and constructive criticism that the OP misconstrued as attacks and then proceeded to ignore (as in using the forum tool) everybody who didn't agree. The fact that he needed make a post in general discussion to cry about it is beyond pathetic, and call me a harasser if so is calling things by their name.

Oh, and this "content" that he's valiantly "creating" even going against an alleged tide of harassment? Some personal opinions on MPQ characters from his 2* transitioner point of view that he expects the community to accept as the inherited legacy of Mischief-Maker's Character Rankings (even though he has been pointed repeatedly that MM is still going to make a last one, and that's why no one else but him has jumped to create a new one). Read the whole thread and form your own opinions.

I just wasted ten minutes of my life wading through the fecal vortex that is the linked thread... difference of opinion, sure. Constructive criticism? I don't think that's accurate. What I see is some thread-stomping (which is a bannable offense on some boards) followed by a mouthy reaction by the thread creator and then a rapid descent into idiocy. There are some viable posts in there, but most seemed to attack the OP as unqualified to even make the thread. If he's unqualified, help him by correcting his knowledge gaps. If he won't accept the help, let his thread die instead of bumping it back up to the top.

What I really wish is that we, as a board, could quit dismissing or diminishing people who have a differing opinion. Just because someone's opinion differs doesn't make them wrong - it simply means that they view a particular item differently. Everyone in the game has a different roster, a different playstyle and a different end goal. I don't speed-play levels - I play them to avoid taking damage. If it takes me 30 rounds to beat a goon node but I take zero damage, I've played it perfectly for my playstyle. If I clear a PvE sub-event and have only taken an hour's worth of damage and used zero health packs, I've done a pretty good job. Those are my metrics - yours may (and probably will) vary - and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In how many topics, in how many ways, in how many sections of the board need you claim you've been harassed and subsequently be told that a difference of opinion is not harassment.

It's getting really old, at this point, and if you'd stop crying wolf I'm pretty sure everyone (myself included) would be able to forget the whole ordeal happened, move on and not even hold it against you.

I promise I'll judge every post you or any other user makes by its content and not its author. That goes for this one too, and you get a red thumb for crying wolf - yet again - even after a moderator has confirmed that what happened to you is neither against the rules or meets any criteria of being actual harassment.
  • d0nk3y wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I just wasted ten minutes of my life wading through the fecal vortex that is the linked thread... difference of opinion, sure. Constructive criticism? I don't think that's accurate. What I see is some thread-stomping (which is a bannable offense on some boards) followed by a mouthy reaction by the thread creator and then a rapid descent into idiocy. There are some viable posts in there, but most seemed to attack the OP as unqualified to even make the thread. If he's unqualified, help him by correcting his knowledge gaps. If he won't accept the help, let his thread die instead of bumping it back up to the top.

What I really wish is that we, as a board, could quit dismissing or diminishing people who have a differing opinion. Just because someone's opinion differs doesn't make them wrong - it simply means that they view a particular item differently. Everyone in the game has a different roster, a different playstyle and a different end goal. I don't speed-play levels - I play them to avoid taking damage. If it takes me 30 rounds to beat a goon node but I take zero damage, I've played it perfectly for my playstyle. If I clear a PvE sub-event and have only taken an hour's worth of damage and used zero health packs, I've done a pretty good job. Those are my metrics - yours may (and probably will) vary - and there's nothing wrong with that.

There's a DIFFERENT creator besides me Pylgrim. My god I'm glad I have this nerf-herder on ignore. It's NOT just me.

Thank you for your ACTUAL objective opinion donkey.

Did you read that Pylgrim?

I'll write it one more time for Pylgrim.

SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES ME IS BEING HARASSED. NOT ME.

THEY HAVE DECIDED TO STOP DOING CONTENT BECAUSE OF THEIR HARASSMENT.

THAT'S NOT ME.

I agree with you donkey, they don't like my thread, they should make their own. Instead they'd rather be the monkey flinging ****.

Most of them just said "YOU'RE UNQUALIFIED LOLOLOLOLOLOL". How am I supposed to take that seriously? How do you become qualified in a stupid F2P phone game? Does it involve paying D3 or sucking someone's ****?
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we calm this thread down a little please.
  • Can we calm this thread down a little please.
    http://thecurrentconscience.com/blog/20 ... and-crazy/
    In the first instance, when we are attempting to be helpful, simply telling someone to “calm down” generally doesn’t work–it really doesn’t. And while some people can indeed point to instances where it does seems to work, just because someone appears to be calmer, doesn’t mean that we have done anything to help them internally.

Words aren’t nearly as powerful as actions. When someone is distressed and we have the good intention of trying to help, we should help by finding a solution to the point of stress–this strategy would more effectively help the distressed person to find calm. Demanding someone to be calm often elicits exactly the opposite reaction.

---

Some of the men I interviewed for this piece were confused about why the phrase “calm down” is seen by women as so offensive. It boils down to this: by demanding calm (even in a respectful tone), you are saying that the person has no reason to be upset or agitated, that what they’re saying and what they’re feeling isn’t logical.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What I meant was "Please stop being rude to one another before I have to lock this thread"

Unfortunately, I have a feeling it needs to be done anyway, so before this topic gets any worse.....
This discussion has been closed.